PDA

View Full Version : SRi Mods

Rob [live]
30th March 2004, 05:45 PM
just another question, can any of you tell me what you have done to your Barina Sri's to give it a bit more bite, also any interior mods and things. im just tyring to get a feel for what i can do without insurance being kabillions....
cheers

mr_astra_retired
30th March 2004, 05:53 PM
http://www.corsasport.co.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?fid=31

You can check out corsa sport for some good info as well as here

Degen-Astra
30th March 2004, 07:03 PM
I think Barina's have the same Airbox as the 1.8 Astra...De-Restrict! Pop in a high performance Filter...and Bobs my dad!

Anonymous
30th March 2004, 07:24 PM
Dude, i'll post up some pics of my box soon.
De-restricted is an understatement!

TBird
31st March 2004, 02:24 PM
The stuff I've done and recommend doing-

* Fit the traction control switch mod
* If you have the 15" wheels, get bigger ones, probably 205/40/17s.

Stuff I've heard is worth doing-

* Fit the Whiteline rear anti-roll bar- About $180 plus fitting
* Get a better exhaust (changing then manifold is a bit of an effort because the catalytic converter is in it and the ECU will error out if you remove it.)
* Mod the airbox - I took mine apart last night and I’m not entirely sure there’s much you can do. The "restriction" in it is actually a nicely designed trumpet that smooths airflow through the air-flow meter, messing with it will probably make your car use more fuel and probably be no faster. You might get some benefit from opening up the intake to the airbox, but this is a bit involved and you should always make sure you are getting cold air from the front of the car (NO OPEN POD FILTERS). Maybe just get an aftermarket cartridge... or get the OEM one changed more often.
* Turbo - I looked at this too... but there is *nowhere* to put a front mount intercooler, you may be able to do something water-to-air but this would cost a lot more.
* Mantzel http://www.mantzel.de/catalog/index.php?manufacturers_id=18 have cams for the Z18XE, and claim 10kW improvement. A bargain at $649 euros.
* Powerchip also claims about 10kW from their $900 software update, I'd be a bit worried about your dealer over-writing this if Holden release an update tho.
* DBA do slotted replacement discs http://www.dba.com.au/dba_catalogue_2004/HTML/pdf/Out/holden_GM.pdf for about $80 a disc.
* People seem to like Koni shock/coilover kits, check corsasport.co.uk forums.

Umm yeah... there’s a few things to get you started...

Luke.

SMURFF
31st March 2004, 03:57 PM
The SMURFF has had a mod or two also:

TC overide switch - Now it doesn't bog down when powering out of a corner
17inch MAK Wheels with 215/40/17R rubber
K&N Pod filter with a heatsheild
BMW E36 Rear springs fitted in the rear
Chitose Rear Muffler

Thats about it for mechanical mods and no plans for the Future as the "SMURFF" has officially been advertised 4 SALE as of yesterday!

My04SRi
1st April 2004, 01:46 PM
ok as you all know im new and got new wheels

ok well a series of questions
1)i want a increase in power by changing my air filter. how and where?
2)would i need to tell insurance?
3)wat wud be the 1st mod i should do that wont break the piggy bank?
4)should i lower it or not?

TBird
1st April 2004, 01:52 PM
Changing the filter to an after-market one wont make much difference. It's got plenty of surface area and realistically doesnt have any significant restrictions in it, so I'm not sure I'd bother.

Does your car have Traction Control? If you've driven it hard around a sharp corner you would have had the little skiddy light on thedash flicker at you and had the engine lose power for a bit if you do.

Mines about 110mm from the ground at the front lip, anything less than 100mm is illegal, so don't.

A filter isnt a significant mod and i dont think you would have to tell insurance, but it wouldnt hurt to ring and ask... you dont have to tell them who you are ;)

If you are keen to change the filter then all you need to do is buy one... Go ask SuperCheap and the like and they could get it in for you.

My04SRi
1st April 2004, 01:59 PM
thx i thought it make sum difference towards the kw going up or sumthing or other.. what if i hafe the pipe going down towards the bottom of the car?

Anonymous
1st April 2004, 04:40 PM
thx i thought it make sum difference towards the kw going up or sumthing or other.. what if i hafe the pipe going down towards the bottom of the car?

Using a Cold Air Down Pipe is Great, If ya wanna replace/Clean ya air filter every weekend.
As for Lowering a Barina SRi, THERE ILLEGAL FROM FACTORY.
The front Spoiler is 90mm and the Exhaust is 70 something mm
So Go Nuts, Its illegal anyway. :D

frankie9fingers
1st April 2004, 04:40 PM
i de-restricted the airbox. mods to come up soon is head work, cam and remapping. our cars don't need to be chipped coz the new chips in them can be remapped.