PDA

View Full Version : Color coding door handles / Chrome Guage Rings

li21
24th October 2005, 02:17 PM
Hi all,

Not sure if I posted in the right place as this can be a general car question and also an Astra one..

I have an Astra AH CD... I want to know if its possible to paint the black door handles and bumper strips into the body colors so it looks color coded?
has anyone done this and how much would it cost?

Other question was... does anyone know where to get made up or buy add on chrome/silver rings to suit Astra AH speed/tacho/fuel gauges to give it that sporty look?

any responses appreciated

cheers

BassyAstra
24th October 2005, 04:25 PM
Those colour coding things can be done easilly, youd be looking at around 300~350, if someone says 400 then go somewhere else.

As for the Chrome rings, cant help you with that.
The cdx has them so maybe you can get them through spare parts @ holden.
Although i dont think they are just addon rings like in the G i think they are built into the dash?

li21
25th October 2005, 12:06 PM
Those colour coding things can be done easilly, youd be looking at around 300~350, if someone says 400 then go somewhere else.

As for the Chrome rings, cant help you with that.
The cdx has them so maybe you can get them through spare parts @ holden.
Although i dont think they are just addon rings like in the G i think they are built into the dash?

Thanks for the reply.. that sound pretty reasonable.. any suggestions for places in Sydney? And is that door handles AND bumper strips?
is the finish any good?

Hmm.. maybe some metal works person would be able to mould up some stick on chrome?:)

BassyAstra
25th October 2005, 12:30 PM
Id suggest Bondi Super Smash repairs on Bondi Rd, they are damn cheap and have high worksmanship. Its a big place too so you know they are doing good things.

They can colour code anything thats not colour coded.

Yeah strips and handles.

Yeah stick on chrome, id love a set of external chrome mirror covers.

Clint
26th October 2005, 05:29 PM
yea any engineering place could very easily make u what u want. ive only been workig at one for 3 months and i could make them, thats how easy it is. material would be the main cost. u could make it out of aluminium and have it coloured, chrome or those other metal colours u see, blue, pink, black, etc. the programming would take 15 mins, and probably only a few mins for turning each part...

BassyAstra
26th October 2005, 07:30 PM
yea any engineering place could very easily make u what u want. ive only been workig at one for 3 months and i could make them, thats how easy it is. material would be the main cost. u could make it out of aluminium and have it coloured, chrome or those other metal colours u see, blue, pink, black, etc. the programming would take 15 mins, and probably only a few mins for turning each part...

How much would that cost?

Because you can buy irmscher ones but they are quite expensive.

li21
27th October 2005, 03:37 PM
Thats very interesting Client!
Thats what I was thinking, getting a metal engineer to measure/mould and create a ring I could easily stick on.

how much woould it cost?

Do you think you could make a set up for an AH Astra?:)

If not, what would I look search under in the Yellow Pages for such a company?

Clint
27th October 2005, 05:49 PM
well since its a very simple job, any engineering place with a cnc lathe can do it. some may be cheaper but i can ask my boss and find out. what is the rough dimensions? the outside diameter, inside diameter and width? if someone can answer that today that would be good

li21
28th October 2005, 08:57 AM
well since its a very simple job, any engineering place with a cnc lathe can do it. some may be cheaper but i can ask my boss and find out. what is the rough dimensions? the outside diameter, inside diameter and width? if someone can answer that today that would be good

Darn..
Im at work today.. but will try and get measure meants over the weekend for you!

li21
28th October 2005, 09:21 AM

Darn..
Im at work today.. but will try and get measure meants over the weekend for you!

Clint
31st October 2005, 12:52 AM
had a quick chat with the boss and he said its fine. not sure on a price as yet, but it will most likely be just the material, i dont think he is charging me to use the machines and tools etc. if someone can get me accurate dimensions now i know i can do it that would be good. the more accurate the better, if someone has verniers or a micrometer that would be good

BassyAstra
31st October 2005, 02:00 AM
Are you talking about guage rings here?

low astra
31st October 2005, 06:11 PM
clint are they letting u loose on cnc already???? I was a 2nd year before i was aloud 2 program, but that was a long time ago now

li21
1st November 2005, 01:35 PM
Are you talking about guage rings here?
Yep gauge rings!

What is CNC exactly...

sorry i didnt get a chance to make measurements.. would anyone else have them handy?!:)

mick05ts
1st November 2005, 03:21 PM
Yep gauge rings!

What is CNC exactly...

sorry i didnt get a chance to make measurements.. would anyone else have them handy?!:)

I am interested in a set of those also for me Astra TS 2005 Equipe!!!

Could you make a set for me, I live in qld, if you get me a price+postage I will deposit it into your account!!

Cheers

CateO
1st November 2005, 06:23 PM
This is what I'm looking for also, if you need an extra job to do let us know and you could make .. MANY sets !!!

Austra SRi
1st November 2005, 07:22 PM
Interesting?

Does anyone in Brisbane happen to know of ANY panel beaters who will do a decent colour coding job (door strips and skirts) for anything less than $1K??

ANYONE??

I've consulted at least 5 on the southside from West End to Salisbury and have received quotes ranging from $945 - (wait for it) $1'440. Holy Shinto, Batgirl.

One guy originally quoted $375 but then called the day after to 'revise' the quote to almost 3x that amount?? Me no Engrish.

If I knew I could get the strips off the doors without damaging them or myself in the process, I'd DIY just as I did the bodykit on my '95 SB GSi. Some 2000 wet/dry, prepsol and spray enamel it looked $1mil and showed no signs of any flaking or fading.

1400 bananas to paint a few pieces of plastic? Sheesh...

BassyAstra
1st November 2005, 07:49 PM
Interesting?

Does anyone in Brisbane happen to know of ANY panel beaters who will do a decent colour coding job (door strips and skirts) for anything less than $1K??

ANYONE??

I've consulted at least 5 on the southside from West End to Salisbury and have received quotes ranging from $945 - (wait for it) $1'440. Holy Shinto, Batgirl.

One guy originally quoted $375 but then called the day after to 'revise' the quote to almost 3x that amount?? Me no Engrish.

If I knew I could get the strips off the doors without damaging them or myself in the process, I'd DIY just as I did the bodykit on my '95 SB GSi. Some 2000 wet/dry, prepsol and spray enamel it looked $1mil and showed no signs of any flaking or fading.

1400 bananas to paint a few pieces of plastic? Sheesh...
WOAH THATS HEAPS!
Most places round here are 350-400.

Clint
2nd November 2005, 12:49 AM
clint are they letting u loose on cnc already???? I was a 2nd year before i was aloud 2 program, but that was a long time ago now

yep sure are lol. things went pretty quick for me, clocking up major parts when putting them in on about my 3rd day. by the end of the week i was running the cnc lathe by myself, i started on the integrex, 5 axis machine, things just moved on from there, in about the 3rd week i think the guy i was working with went to tafe so i was running it all by myself, from starting the machines, loading materials, checking and changing inserts, checking sizes, adjusting the offsets to to suit a +- 0.02 tolerance, i was working out how to set up and start things like the bar feeder and other things, which some of the guys who had been there for 3 years couldnt figure out after half an hour of fidling. by about my 3rd or 4th week i was programming small things like bushes, week after was moving onto programming larger parts in the lathe. ive been there for almost 3 months now, in that time ive also learnt cnc milling, and now im doing about a third of the drafting for the company

Clint
6th November 2005, 11:20 PM
so no one is interested in these anymore? went from a lot of people asking about it to nothing lol

li21
7th November 2005, 10:15 AM
so no one is interested in these anymore? went from a lot of people asking about it to nothing lol

Im deifnately still interested!
I tried to take measurements on the weekedn but i didnt realise its more of an elipsoid shape than a round shape!

therefore its impossible to just give thickness, diameter etc..

its like skinnier and thicker in some parts and isnt a perfect circle..
hmm.. how else can i get the measurements?

Clint
7th November 2005, 09:59 PM
thats interesting, i thought they were round looking from the pictures. lol its easy for me to just say measure it, cause that my job. do u know anyone with a set or vernier calipers? some people have them

li21
10th November 2005, 12:41 PM
thats interesting, i thought they were round looking from the pictures. lol its easy for me to just say measure it, cause that my job. do u know anyone with a set or vernier calipers? some people have them

hmm
even if i had vernier calipers i probably woundt be able use it or get accurate measurements..

damn.. how else can this be done?

Clint
10th November 2005, 06:47 PM
which state do u live in? im guessing not qld

li21
11th November 2005, 12:34 PM
which state do u live in? im guessing not qld

heheh yeh.. im in NSW.