View Full Version : Quick Squiz: Holden Astra wagon - Carsguide report

blackSRi
20th October 2005, 04:17 PM
bored...so I thought I'd post.....
http://carsguide.news.com.au/news/story_page/0,8269,16917258%255E27286,00.html

Quick Squiz: Holden Astra wagon
13oct05
by Chris Riley

One thing you couldn't get in the old Holden Astra range was a wagon.

There must still be a market for one otherwise Holden wouldn't have bothered to include a wagon this time around either.

Toyota's Corolla and the Mitsubishi Lancer are both available as wagons so that is probably reason enough – there's no point in handing sales to the opposition.

Our main issue with this and other models in the Astra range is the smallish 1.8-litre engine. It gives away 20kW to the Toyota and 25kW to the Mitsu, but in the context of rising fuel prices the smaller donk may not be such a bad thing.

Same 1.8-litre 16-valve DOHC four cylinder engine as the rest of the range. Puts out 90kW of power at 5600rpm and 165Nm of torque at 3800rpm. Ninety per cent of torque available between 2200 and 5500rpm.

Fuel economy for the wagon is a claimed 7.9L/100km for the manual and 8.3L/100km for the auto. Tanks hold 52 litres and fractionally better power figures achieved with premium.

Good mid to high range performance but lacks punch off the line. This is particularly noticeable with some passengers aboard. Our test car was the CDX manual which at 1325kg is second only to the auto in terms of weight and 82kg heavier than the manual coupe.

Wagon is 266 mm longer than five-door hatch and 227 mm longer than the coupe.

To handle increased load carrying require- ments, rear springs and dampers have been recalibrated and front anti-roll bar diameter increased. This provides optimum vehicle balance as the load increases.

It is difficult to fault this car in the ride and handling department. It's a smooth operator that sits well in corners, unless you get carried away.

Like the coupe can't get used to the blinker control arm being on the right hand side. Most Euros have it on the left by default as did the old model.

Good news for music fans. CDX gets a premium Blaupunkt 6-stack seven speaker 130 watt sound system that supports MP3 playback from discs. Volume adjusts automatically with speed.

No silly space saver. A full-size steel spare wheel, just the way we Aussies like it.

Standard equipment includes includes 15-inch alloys, four airbags, ABS and brake assist, cruise control, power windows, heated power exterior mirrors, steering wheel- mounted audio controls and airconditioning.

Same price as coupe. Astra Wagon CD is priced from $23,490 and CDX from $25,990.
VERDICT: Better looking than the Corolla. But the Lancer is not a bad looking thing. Just a shame Holden hasn't gone for a bigger engine.

01CDsedan
20th October 2005, 07:24 PM
Since when does 100kW - 90kW = 20kW? Sounds like the journo needs some lessons in remedial maths...

But seeing as the only definite conclusion of the article was about looks...it pains me to say it, but the Viva wagon looks much tidier than the Astra wagon :(

blackSRi
20th October 2005, 10:08 PM
Yeah the maths is off hey

JohnBu
21st October 2005, 10:35 AM
i wouldnt believe anything Carsguide put on paper..

- new wrx costing $10,000 more than the old one ($1000)

- BMW 320i doing 0-100 in 6.6sec.. (the 330i not 320i does that)... next week when a reader wrote in querying how a 110kW car weighing 1500kg does 0-100 in 6.6sec.. carsguide replied, the engine felt flat for a car that does 0-100 in 6.6! jesus christ... it will be lucky to crack sub 10s! haha