PDA

View Full Version : are these BS??

BenGDoG3851
13th October 2005, 10:53 AM
bassically whats your opinion on these devices Link (http://www.celoxperformance.com/powermodule.html)

they look like bull**** to me.. and im sure theres not $50 worth of components in it.

InsaneAsylum
13th October 2005, 11:09 AM
basically it tricks your ecu into thinking that the air coming in to your motor is a constant 13 degree or thereabouts. i can't say if it works or not as i don't have evidence.

one thing i do know though, is that it's just a 60c resistor from **** smith.

it's a 4.7K ohm ceramic resistor inside a black box, nothing special

BenGDoG3851
13th October 2005, 11:45 AM
cool so in theory it could be done with the correct resistor. hmmmm interesting.

ps: LOL it blocked ****smith

BenGDoG3851
13th October 2005, 11:51 AM
both dse and jaycar class their resistors as

carbon film
metal film
wire wound

no ceramic ones....

anyone got anyidea as to how this resistor is wired up??

InsaneAsylum
13th October 2005, 11:51 AM
yeah i was told this a few years ago because i thought the mod was "sssssoooooooo cool". thankfully someone told me it was just a resistor so i payed 60c instead of $60 to find out it didn't make a noticable difference that i could "feel".

i have a dyno day soon, if they let me i'll swap in a resistor and see how much power i lose hahaha

if you want to try, it's a ceramic resistor with 4kw7j on it or something like that, the main thing is the 4 comes first followed by k followed by 7

InsaneAsylum
13th October 2005, 11:54 AM
yep, on your induction hose there should be wires going to a small sensor. unclip the sensor and you should see two contacts in the wire (leave the sensor where it is). bridge the two contacts on the wire with the resistor. that's it.

you intake temp sensor is simply a heat dependant resistor. by replacing it with a static resistance your telling the car it's a constant temperature so if it's 40 degrees outside, the car will think it's 13 degrees, if it's -3 degrees outside, the car will think it's 13 degrees. that's how it works in theory, however i can't tell you if it works in practise

InsaneAsylum
13th October 2005, 11:57 AM
they look like this:
http://home.coqui.net/opena/assign/dc_lab/media/cera_res.jpg

and it's "5w4k7j" which is printed on them. they are 5 watt resistors

BenGDoG3851
13th October 2005, 12:18 PM
ahhh dse model R1689 is the one

.30c now (HAHA u got ripped off) LOL just muking round

but what would be the dissadvantage of makeing the onboard see 13deg all the time. if this was totally benaficial then why dont opel make it like this??

would it result in more fuel consumption or something?

Namus
13th October 2005, 01:20 PM
we had something like this a while bak on here...yeah not that great

oneightoo
13th October 2005, 01:22 PM
mate i have about 6 of the resistirs you need for this sitting at home.. they cost me .30cents from d1ck smith.. if you want one give me your address and i'll post it to you..

i found out about off the net a while ago and plugged it into my astra, you do notice a power gain, it revs a lot harder and quicker, but i dont think it would be real good for the engine.. so it only lasted about 10 minutes on it..

i've got full instructions on how to install if you want them too..

BenGDoG3851
13th October 2005, 01:25 PM
thanks for the offer but i often go to jaycar or dse for some reason or other. however do you think you could scan the instructions and post em here??

InsaneAsylum
13th October 2005, 01:29 PM
mate i have about 6 of the resistirs you need for this sitting at home.. they cost me .30cents from d1ck smith.. if you want one give me your address and i'll post it to you..

i found out about off the net a while ago and plugged it into my astra, you do notice a power gain, it revs a lot harder and quicker, but i dont think it would be real good for the engine.. so it only lasted about 10 minutes on it..

i've got full instructions on how to install if you want them too..

about the only thing it gave me was an itchy nose

oneightoo
13th October 2005, 01:30 PM
i dont have a scanner, i might try take a photo of them and post it up..
if it comes out clear it should be ok..

Turblue
13th October 2005, 01:59 PM
I feel I need to jump in here guys....

Please be careful about any mod that tricks the ECU.

The theory is kinda correct. The ecu measures the intake temps so it can make an assessment of how much fuel to deliver. On the SRiT, the ecu measures the intake charge and boost in order to determine fueling. When the intake temps get too high, it starts to dump raw fuel and retard the ignition to save the engine from going BANG.

If I fool the ecu, which is not hard, I could create a scenario that would in fact damage the engine.

BenGDoG3851
13th October 2005, 02:11 PM
wouldn't that have more to do with the fact that you have a turbo and therfore more strain on engine and more things for the ecu to control/monitor?
however i'd still like to here more on the negatives and theoretical negatives of this mod.

InsaneAsylum
13th October 2005, 02:33 PM
well basically if the temperature is set at a constant 13 degrees, and the outside temperature is 40 degrees, the the ecu wont be able to sense the correct intake temperature and retard the ignition to cope with the heat. i know the knock sensor might theoretically prevent detonationbut is it really worth the risk.

oneightoo
13th October 2005, 02:51 PM
ok found my original thread, check this out mate, it should everything you need to know..

http://opelaus.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5313

R3N
13th October 2005, 03:06 PM
If you only want a 15bhp increase may i suggest some racing stripes, JasonG has done it to his and it flies!

Seriously, don't stuff around with the ECU, its like going and getting drugged up, makes you feel stronger/faster when you're not, oh not to mention long-term brain damage :)

Always good to check with the guys on here, its probably been thought up before.

BenGDoG3851
13th October 2005, 03:12 PM
hmmm so basically it appears that it could be dangerous to the engine and even if its not dangerous it wont do any performance increase :(

66kw is just SOOOOOO ****y tho :(

note: have been running 95ron and it is noticebly better then 91ron (just a little)

guess i'll just wait another 3 years till warentee runs out and de-restrict airbox + get better filter.

PS: 6year warentees are good AND bad.

oneightoo
13th October 2005, 04:11 PM
de-restricting your air-box shouldnt void your warranty..

correct me if i'm wrong..

nice analogy by the way.. brain damage.. hahaha

InsaneAsylum
13th October 2005, 04:24 PM
putting a resistor in your engine is like releasing serotonin :D hahahaha

Turblue
13th October 2005, 06:19 PM
well basically if the temperature is set at a constant 13 degrees, and the outside temperature is 40 degrees, the the ecu wont be able to sense the correct intake temperature and retard the ignition to cope with the heat. i know the knock sensor might theoretically prevent detonationbut is it really worth the risk.

100% correct.

It is more critical on a turbo'ed engine due to the snail heating the intake charge to seriously high temps. That's why we have intercoolers etc.

Desty
13th October 2005, 06:31 PM
In a N/A Engine, the mod serves to increase the fuel charge (unless you live in a sub-13º area). At 13º, air is more dense than at 30º. The ECU reads this sensor and deduces that colder, more dense air requires more fuel to burn properly and not lean out.

The caveat is, that the ECU also checks both the EGO sensors and figures out that it's running too rich and will throttle the the fuel mixture back. When you're in "closed loop" mode, my understanding is that the EGO sensors aren't monitored and the ECU runs from pre-defined mixture ratios. In "open-loop" mode (ie: hard accel), the ECU monitors, the TPS, EGO, IAT, CT and AF sensors to 'best guess' the ideal mixture for the requirements on the hoon behind the wheel.

Oh, aside from the obvious increased fuel consumption and possible 'extra' deposits in the combustion chambers, there is no chance of overheating being caused by this mod, a rich mixture burns cooler than a lean mixture.