PDA

View Full Version : Engine Rebuild

oneightoo
12th October 2005, 02:36 PM
Hi all,

This question is out of pure curiosity.. The question is..

How much does an engine rebuild cost? what type of benefits does it have? do you get any gains out of it?

InsaneAsylum
12th October 2005, 03:04 PM
if your engine is worn out or blown, an engine rebuild is necessary. the most important part of this is replacing the rings and gaskets. this will restore compression in a blown or worn engine. they head should also be checked and skimmed or straightened if necessary and the bores honed.

a lot of people with performance cars get their motor rebuilt with race quality components and forged pistons which are stronger so they can raise their rev limit or run more boost without things like ringlands failing.

no idea on cost, depends on if a boutique japanese performance shop does it or greasemonkey's mechanic shop does it and the quality of components used. brand names like ARP and ACL are going to cost more... forged pistons will also cost more.

kirssn
12th October 2005, 03:04 PM
depends what you're rebuilding, my sb 1.4l engine me $1500 parts & labour inclusive - including exhaust. my other half is charging a guy $2k to do the lifters and a few other bits and pieces in a calibra (parts & labour) inclusive. then he is charging my dad $1k for labour and all parts on top of that to do a complete rebuild and install of a 5ltr & manual box in a commodore.

does that help?

oneightoo
12th October 2005, 03:14 PM
yeah that helps, thanks guys, was a little curious.. a few guys at work were talking about getting one done on a mates car.. his engine has done about 300,000km's, and i wasnt sure.. So thanks for your info there guys, much appreciated.

auzvectra
16th October 2005, 09:04 PM
a little sujestion, with most of our motors being so similar to the older gm2 motors, a lot of parts are transferable, such as gaskets, rings, berings, ect....
so if u wanna save a few dollars, check up on the older motors parts first.
1.6L, 1.8L, 2.0L Camira, 1.6L, 1.8L Astra/Pulsar, and a few others too.
full rebuild, all parts for these about $375 inc pistons, rings, mains & b/end bearings, and gaskets, trade.

pred8r
16th October 2005, 11:40 PM
If you've got the dollars, balancing is probably worth it too if you're doing a full rebuild esp. if you want to make it go later.

Desty
17th October 2005, 05:42 PM
Definately get the entire rotating assembly* balanced. It's not cheap, but when you put the hard word on your engine later on (and you *know* you will), it will spin to higher revs with more ease and won't feel like it's gonna disintergrate!

* Pistons -> conrods -> crankshaft! and don't MIX them up after they've been balanced. They must be assembled exactly as they were when balanced.

KID_SRi
17th October 2005, 09:49 PM
To answer ya question from a Experienced Point of View.
I assume your talking of Building a Z22SE?

IT AIN'T F'N CHEAP.
Take my Advice, Sell It and buy something that does go.
My AE86 Trueno will Arse Rape my Astra & The Astra is no slouch.

oneightoo
18th October 2005, 10:09 AM
no i'm not rebuilding any engine.. i was just curious as to the benfits of it.. a friend of mine was asking me about it for his engine which has done 300,000km's.. but i will pass on these details..