PDA

View Full Version : superglue issue

Ginge
11th October 2005, 06:51 PM
was installing my new speedo rings when it slipped a little and got on the background of the tacho.

pls help in the aid of this as it looks terrible.

InsaneAsylum
11th October 2005, 08:44 PM
i've heard of superglue remover, but never seen it. see if you can get your hands on that.

JakeSRIT
11th October 2005, 09:23 PM
hey man

terps sometimes works

petrol always a treat 2 but if it in the in inside of your car, terps prolly the best thing to try

Vectracious
11th October 2005, 11:09 PM
Go to your local pharmacy and ask them for "Acetone - technical" (pure acetone, not full of colours and moisturisers you get with nail polish removers). You can use that to remove the superglue.

Bernard Siong
11th October 2005, 11:21 PM
supercheap auto ... acetone
its known to be a very good glue remover
best to test on a small piece of plastic first to check for fading or anything like that

pred8r
11th October 2005, 11:35 PM
Be REAL careful....

AFAIK the 2 most common ways glue works;
1) by 'holding' parts together, through sheer strength, as the adhesive itself eg Araldite (mostly harmless)
OR
2) by 'melting' the 2 surfaces together eg traditional Superglue (whos fumes can do weird things to certain plastics, turn them white etc).

Most solvents that would clean the 'Superglue' off would most likely eat the plastic itself, or at least the ink.

Ask LOTS of questions to the right people (like the tech/customer help line of the manufacturer).
The problem you have is they will say what type of plastic did you try and glue and the answer from MOST of us here would be "black" not Polyethylhydroacrylate.

Good Luck and if not....some new white faced EL dials could be in order.

Ginge
12th October 2005, 06:37 AM
thanks guys

its already turned white so i might have to get the white dials installed when i get the money.
how much would these be and where can i get them installed in NSW? Somewhere between sydney and goulbourn.

Bernard Siong
12th October 2005, 09:36 AM
try ring up auto joy
there in paramatta but

and on their website they have them for vectras but you can always try calling and seeing if they have the astra ones yet

blackSRi
12th October 2005, 03:44 PM
Superglue is dissolved by acetone - unfortunately so are many hard plastics (so test!!).
I buy a tin of acetone from the hardware store - it's the cheapest way to buy it, pharmacies charge mucho $$$ (many paints are also acetone-solvent-based like car touch-up paints).
I last used acetone to clean up the inside of my car when I spilt car touch up paint on the dash, seats and gearstick/leather surround - yeah it's long story....

Ginge
12th October 2005, 07:15 PM
i'll give it a go. thanks for that.