PDA

View Full Version : Carsguide Article - Holden goes big on small cars

blackSRi
10th October 2005, 10:53 PM
http://carsguide.news.com.au/news/story_page/0,8269,16869302%255E21822,00.html
Holden goes big on small cars
08oct05
by Mark Hinchliffe

Denny Mooney can't wipe the grin off his face.

The GM Holden chairman and managing director has had a tough year, with declining Commodore sales forcing a downscaling in production and the company lacking a competitor to Ford's tearaway Territory.

Earlier this year Mooney declared 2005 the year of the small car for Holden, launching two new Astra variants. His prediction is true for the whole industry. Small cars outsell large cars. Small and light cars account for more than half of all passenger car sales.

Mooney still can't stop smiling even though the Toyota Corolla last month out-sold his Commodore. (A small car hasn't topped sales since brief moments of glory for Hyundai Excel in the 1990s and Holden Camira in the early '80s.)

The reason for Mooney's good humour? In the middle of record bowser prices and a surge in small car sales, Holden has a huge selection of light and small cars with the release of the new Korean-made Barina and Viva and next year's Astra turbo and Barina sedan.

Mooney is not concerned that the Barina and Viva are former Daewoo models, a brand which exited our market a year ago.....(more)

BassyAstra
10th October 2005, 11:26 PM
Pathetic!!!

stake
10th October 2005, 11:43 PM
How could anyone get excited about a Daewoo.... now really!!!

Red AH SRI T
11th October 2005, 07:54 AM
hey i sell the things and trust me, the average punter has no idea that they are daewoos, and when u say things like "all cars are built by robots, just in different countries" they believe you :D

180HOA
11th October 2005, 09:03 AM
hey i sell the things and trust me, the average punter has no idea that they are daewoos, and when u say things like "all cars are built by robots, just in different countries" they believe you :D

Haha. It's pretty much the truth of it, isn't it... At the end of the day its the buyers budget, not the origin of the car, that determines the quality they're gonna get. If you're spending $18,000 or so on a new small-medium car, there's a limit to the standard of engineering and quality of materials that can be provided for that kind of money, regardless of where the car is built... For proof, look no further than a Pulsar or Lancer...

woody
11th October 2005, 09:20 AM

except of course for Aston Martins... but they are slightly out of my price range.. :( mmmmmmm.. Aston Martin...

180HOA
11th October 2005, 09:25 AM
LOL. Yeah - why use a robot when you can have it built by an old codger using a bottle of glue and a pop-rivet gun!

blackSRi
11th October 2005, 04:04 PM
But it's correct to say cheap cars are usually robot-built (we're only talking sub-luxury cars).
Who's for a new B..b..b.barina?

EL BURITO
15th October 2005, 12:59 AM

I dont know how you can sleep at night that is evil

Red AH SRI T
15th October 2005, 06:20 PM
I dont know how you can sleep at night that is evil

Thats my job remember :p