PDA

View Full Version : Another Tyre Post

crazyk78
8th October 2005, 12:50 PM
Hi all,

I know there have been hundreds of previous tyre questions and post but I just wanted to get your thoughts on this.

I've got a MY02 SRI and still have the original Michellin Pilots and have done 65K klm's and probably another 5K to go. Good going I think. Anyhow I went to a few tyre places today and well as we already know the Mich's are worth between $390 & $440 as I was quoted.

Anyhow other alternatives I was suggested to look at.

Dunlop 3000A - $215 fitted 205/50R16 87W
Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 - $235 fitted 205/50ZR16 87Y

Are there other tyres that people would recommend?

What do people think?? does it sound like a sales pitch they are telling me or would these generally be good tires?

In regard to the load ratings, the Mich's are 87V I suppose the above are only better?

I'm not one to race around the streets driving hard all the time but do about 700k's/wk mostly fwy.

I'd be interested on your thoughts.

Thanks in advance.

rjastra
8th October 2005, 06:32 PM
Get some Michelin Pilot Precedas. Top tyre and I am on my second set.

They have the correct speed and load rating.

Should cost a similar price to the Goodyears.

crazyk78
9th October 2005, 12:56 AM
The Michelin pilot precedas are the standard OEM tyres aren't they? They are like $390 nowhere near the Goodyears.

extralarge
9th October 2005, 01:29 AM
spent a lot of time on this question.

i ended up getting goodyears becuase they were the best value.

i would have wanted precedas but it was out of budget - if money's no barrier - these are DEFINTELY the ones to get.

i like the original dunlop 8000s' that were on the tyres - great grip, top comfort.

compared to stock 8000s', goodyears weren't as good in the dry, better in the wet, and i didn't notice it being much noiser as reviews indicate.

its a tough decision. bottom line is that if they are marketed as 'sport' tyres they will be quite good.

rjastra
9th October 2005, 07:05 AM
Michelin Pilot Precedas aren't the stock tyres on the early model SRI.

Michelin Pilot HX are .. and they are exxy (and not the best tyre anyway).

Go and ask for a aprice on the precedas. I think i paid under $250 per tyre.
They grip well and are QUIETER than the HXs.

KID_SRi
9th October 2005, 09:24 AM
I have Falken RT215 Azenis on my SRi. Yeah, they are a Semi Slick.
But they grip better than any tyre in the wet that I've ever experienced.
And secondly. I only paid $205 a Tyre, Because I got in a Group with the WRX Club as they're the Same Size(205/50/16).

crazyk78
9th October 2005, 10:32 AM
Michelin Pilot Precedas aren't the stock tyres on the early model SRI.

Michelin Pilot HX are .. and they are exxy (and not the best tyre anyway).

Go and ask for a aprice on the precedas. I think i paid under $250 per tyre.
They grip well and are QUIETER than the HXs.
Ah yes Pilot HX they are, my mistake. I will look into these alongside the others mentioned. For just under $250 I would seriously consider them as the HX's have lasted me over 65K and I have been quite happy with their grip and performace.

extralarge, dunlop 8000s aren't stock on the SRI. Maybe on the 1.8's but I'll take on board your comment reagrding better dry grip than the Goodyears.

Just been down to ttf and they have also recommended Yokohama C-Drive's. How do they compare?
They also said the Goodyear were good but with the agressive tread pattern can tend to be slightly noisier than other tyres.

Thanks guys, keep the comments coming

bones
9th October 2005, 01:12 PM
Anyhow other alternatives I was suggested to look at.
Dunlop 3000A - $215 fitted 205/50R16 87W
Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 - $235 fitted 205/50ZR16 87Y I just bought 2 new Goodyears, exactly those, on Thursday for $195 each fitted and balanced at Bob Jane. So far they seem pretty good and the're not French.

anicorsa
9th October 2005, 02:27 PM
I just bought a set of Kumho Ecsta ASX KU21's to go with my new 17's.

So far so good, grip pretty well on dry, but i havent yet tested them on the wet. Being an all season asymmetric tyre, i'm assuming they'll do a good job in the rain.

The most surprising thing is that they are actually a softer ride compared to the Falken's i had on 15's before these. So im pretty happy about that. :)

I guess i'll have a better idea of how good they are after a few weeks.

crazyk78
9th October 2005, 08:13 PM
I just bought 2 new Goodyears, exactly those, on Thursday for $195 each fitted and balanced at Bob Jane. So far they seem pretty good and the're not French.

Great, I'd be interested to see how they go. Let me know your thoughts on road noise in the dry. I won't be upgrading for another month or so but am starting to do my research now so that when the time comes I can just ring around instead of wasting weeks.

blackSRi
10th October 2005, 12:17 AM
I've posted before http://opelaus.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6066 - for my 02 SRi I went Vredrestines - great tyres, not too expensive ($155) and great grip in the wet and the dry - either them or the Savas. The factory Michelins HX's were terrific new but soon wore, and that affected handling (not as grippy on corners) - they are noisier too than my Vreds, anyway Michelin HX's or Pilots are way too expensive a buy for replacement.

NUTTTR
10th October 2005, 09:50 AM
I had dunlop SP8000's (well, still have, there's not much left though) and they are "ok" but not good for $280/tyre (17")... I was recommended GT Radial HPZ's and Toyo Trampio i think it is (but they are not in my tyre size :( )
Tyres are subjective too, i don't mind going through 4 tyres every 30,000k's... that's how long the dunlop's lasted!!
Aaron

crazyk78
19th October 2005, 01:00 PM
Hi Guys / Girls,

I can get Toyo tyres at a reasonable price and am wanting to get peoples opinion on the following

Tranpath SW
Trampio Gu:wn (TPG)
Proxes T1-R

I want to be able to get reasonable milage out of them so I don't want anything too soft.

I've heard the Proxes T1-R are soft.

I'd appreciate peoples comments.

astra_city
20th October 2005, 09:34 PM
I've got the Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3's on mine - I'd definitely recommend them. Great grip both wet and dry and haven't noticed them being noisy either.

gforce
18th November 2005, 12:06 AM
Being directional tyre the F1 GSD3 tramlining very bad when the tread is worn. Mine tramlining like crazy now follow every groove on the gorehill freeway!

GeeeAus
18th November 2005, 12:23 AM
Indeed we have made a mutual agreement to cancel this transaction. An issue arising from our localities has prompted us to cancel this purchase. Our localities were not fully known until the completion of the purchase. My being in Australia and the seller being in the U.K. has made the purchase impractical for us both. I'm Unsure if they make these in your size, but I LOVE our Goodyear Ducaro GA tyres. Very quiet and compliant. Great grip in the wet and dry, unlike Eagle GA.

I had Sava Intensa before.

What can I say.... DON'T BUY THESE TYRES..... THEY WEAR WAY TOO QUICKLY AND THE ROAD NOISE IS TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE.

Other good tyres from what I’ve heard are the Brigestone ER92 and Potenza.

GeeeAus

beep beep sri
18th November 2005, 05:41 AM
should'nt an 02 sri have 15's on it not 16's? just thought id ask

crazyk78
18th November 2005, 09:31 AM
No 02 SRI is standard 16's

beep beep sri
18th November 2005, 02:52 PM
latter models had 16's 02 models had 15's. definatly!

woody
18th November 2005, 03:54 PM
the 2002 Astra SRI comes with Standard 16's the Barina SRI i believe came with 15's.

Now i'm tossing up between Toyo T1r's and Yokohama C drive.. anyone got an opinion..??

Best prices I've found so far are 215 a tyre for the toyo's and 200 a tyre for the Yokies.. i'm going for grip more than longevity obviously.

**Edit**

Ok just got better pricing... 208 Per Tyre for Toyo's and 181 For Yokies.

crazyk78
18th November 2005, 06:56 PM
Woody, I agree...02's came with 16's unless I'm going blind.

I was looking at exactly those 2 tyres you just mentioned. I used to have A589 ( or whatever they are ) Yok's on my TX3 but really didn't have the grip they guys said they would in the wet.

With my SRI I did a bit of research and will be putting the T1-R's which will be in 1 or 2 mths.

The pricing you got is very good. cheaper than what I was quoted when I looked a little while ago.

If you do get the T1-R's I'd be interested to get your opinion.

NUTTTR
18th November 2005, 07:11 PM
the 2002 Astra SRI comes with Standard 16's the Barina SRI i believe came with 15's.

Now i'm tossing up between Toyo T1r's and Yokohama C drive.. anyone got an opinion..??

Best prices I've found so far are 215 a tyre for the toyo's and 200 a tyre for the Yokies.. i'm going for grip more than longevity obviously.

**Edit**

Ok just got better pricing... 208 Per Tyre for Toyo's and 181 For Yokies.

Where'd you get that pricing from? For 16's i guess?

gforce
18th November 2005, 07:14 PM
Hey Woody,

Curious where you got the pricing from, cause I am about to replace the tyres on mine too. Are the toyo's noisy? do you know how they wear? Thanks.

crazyk78
18th November 2005, 07:22 PM
The T1-R's sure are sexc tyres!

I've searched everywhere and cant find a bad review.

The FZ4's are a different story though. Stay away!!!

crazyk78
5th December 2005, 09:58 PM
Hi guys,

Did any of you buy the TOYO Proxes?

If so thoughts....

InSaNe^Sna1L
6th December 2005, 02:25 PM
i had toyo on my golf....they were pretty good.....

I have been recommended to get Falken on my Sri or any other Jap brand as they are supposedly pretty good. This is coming from an ex tyre guru as well.