Thanks to Chris for the idea.

OzzySRi
6th October 2005, 06:47 PM
swapped column stalks... nice

pred8r
6th October 2005, 06:51 PM
EASY mod, takes about 2 mins :)

Funnily enough it takes a little to get used to

Chris suggested the one of the Commodore stalks may have the same connection....went to wreckers and no luck in finding any.

The way the barinas' are attached, both sides are the same and the leads reached so.....

beep beep sri
6th October 2005, 07:30 PM
a commonwhore stalk i woulda never guessed. very nice but i just couldnt be assed as im used to using my left hand

pred8r
6th October 2005, 07:49 PM
easier to cogswap and indicate when it gets exciting :)

Chris R
6th October 2005, 08:19 PM
I figured everyone knew this swap. hell I have done it to BOTH of my Combo Bs' I'll do a tutorial on it.

the indicator one is cheap ( $45 I think) the wiper one is $77 new. there is a trick to the wiper one. plugging a VT-VX item directly to it will result in a blown fuse. you need to clip or remove the blk/yel wire ( corsa B) on that harness. then they work. you will not have a 'INT' function but everything will be inthe right spot.

the cancelling function can be fixed (on a B anyway) by moving the tab on the wheel across to teh other side.

doing it (corsa ,combo B )

remove the instrument cluster cover. ( 2 screws in the top) remove the column shroud by removing 3 screws from the bottom and the two hidden ones just visible behind the steering wheel. these have cover tabs on them. pop it apart and unclip the stalks from the mount. pull the slack out of the harness and swap positions. reassemble. this works for the non airbag version. airbag version may require removal of the wheel. consult a manual for this one ( I'm not going to tell you how as it makes me liable.)

for the VT/VX swap - indicator stalk is a direct swap. wiper needs the blk/yel wire clipped.

for the corsa C ( pre canbus) drop the column shroud off and swap them. you CANNOT do this with a canbus car. use the tech 2 to do it.

pred8r
6th October 2005, 09:27 PM
Chris, If you do a 'how to' try and get a pic of the Socket/plug on the stalks.

The stalks i saw 'supposed to be VX S1 wagon' had about 8 or so pins (blade style), my 'rina (late '03 SRi) had a really small 4 pin socket, similar to electric mirror, i think.

In the end, I dropped the shroud off, unplugged both stalks from the column, swapped sides (they end up upside down), and re-assembled.
Had to disconnect the indicator before installing as the lead didnt quite reach to click it back into the column without unplugging it.

Thanks for the tip on releasing the top shroud, would never have figured that bit out.

Cheers
Pred8r

P.S. how do you know if its canbus?

Chris R
6th October 2005, 09:30 PM
anything after late '04 is canbus. removal of the radio will tell you. if it comes out with a plug attached to it - its a canbus one.

Alfonzo
6th October 2005, 11:18 PM
Interesting mod, but I'm all set up for the indicator on the left now :)

Namus
7th October 2005, 08:35 AM
yeah; i'm so used to the 'left-hand' indication, it'd be too wierd doing this now...

Chris R
7th October 2005, 09:12 AM
whereas I wasn't used to it when I bought my first one so I swapped them over.

dug74
7th October 2005, 11:03 AM
Ambidextrous

Able to use both hands with equal facility.
Unusually skillful; adroit.
So yeah, im actually proud to be able to use both ways and not get them mixed up. 90% time driving mine, then jumping into work, friends and my other car you only have to think for a few seconds and then your set for the rest of the journey.

Cheers
DUG74

InsaneAsylum
7th October 2005, 11:47 AM
oh you are such an adroit dug :D

pred8r
7th October 2005, 10:58 PM
Id agree with the 90%. After driving to work, Im in and out of different vehicles.

Its just the other 10% of the time that you fell like such a TOOL! because you should have known better. Even worse when someone else is in the car.

Im also worried if someone else drives my car that they will bust the wiper trying to put the right indicator on in the dark.

Rather be safe and upside down. Its cheaper :)

low astra
8th October 2005, 11:46 PM
i always get into my dads land rover, the stalks are the same as my astras but for some reason i always forget and indacate for rain and wipe 2 turn well at least the first few corners

stevedee3
10th October 2005, 10:14 PM
My old Vectra used to sh|t me with the indicators on the left, especially when the gear lever is also on the left. Guess it wouldn't matter so much on an auto...

Anyway my current Vectra has things the right way around so I'm happy...