PDA

View Full Version : Who Are We Kidding!?!

orangepicker
3rd October 2005, 02:14 PM
Why Can't Posters Just Tell Everyone What Car They Drive/have?

We Do Have Aussie Cars Don't We?

So Enough Of The Stupidity
If You Drive A Ts Astra, Say You Have A Ts Astra, Not Astra G Or Whatever.,or Vectra B ,
My Mates Who Visited The Forum Were So Peeed Off They Told Me We Don't Speak The Same Linggo.

Yes We Want To Opel-ize Our Car But Why Can't We Speak Plain Aussie?

Red AH SRI T
3rd October 2005, 02:16 PM
we do tell people what car we drive, and if they dont like the way we do it then frankly they can bugger off :D

orangepicker
3rd October 2005, 02:20 PM
we do tell people what car we drive, and if they dont like the way we do it then frankly they can bugger off :D

or are you missing the point?
everyone that comes here loves opels, but can't undestand what models some are talking about.
yeah true but can the others understand?
what if your car came with flemish instructions, reckon you'd understand what it says?
c'mon aussie or aren't you?

lowey22
3rd October 2005, 02:20 PM
I'm pretty sure that the terms TS and G are totally different. Isn't TS (including CD, CDX etc) a model of Astra while G describes the year of it? eg the Astra G is from 98 (or 99) until 94-95? My Astra is a Astra G (a 99) and is the TS model of that. Everyone else, please correct me if I'm worng...

Myabe your friends don't understand how it all works and should learn the lingo and terms before jumping the gun.

Also, what's with the use of a capital at the beginning of every word?

Red AH SRI T
3rd October 2005, 02:28 PM
Also, what's with the use of a capital at the beginning of every word?

yeah i thought that was pretty strange too

hmm and inregards to naming of car series, the G and H ect stands for what model they are, just like VT, VX, VY, VZ ect ect ect

see with the currect vectra C holden call it the ZC vectra because over here ppl arent used to model codes only being one letter, just like the astra H was renamed AH Astra

R3N
3rd October 2005, 02:43 PM
Why Can't Posters Just Tell Everyone What Car They Drive/have?

We Do Have Aussie Cars Don't We?

So Enough Of The Stupidity
If You Drive A Ts Astra, Say You Have A Ts Astra, Not Astra G Or Whatever.,or Vectra B ,
My Mates Who Visited The Forum Were So Peeed Off They Told Me We Don't Speak The Same Linggo.

Yes We Want To Opel-ize Our Car But Why Can't We Speak Plain Aussie?

Enough of the stupidity? It's pretty simple really if you bother to know what it means, and by the way, inside my door card, it clearly says OPEL ASTRA-G... nuff said!

It's just the way it is, its still English, what about Corsas? We have to call them Barinas too?

Red AH SRI T
3rd October 2005, 02:48 PM
and if they were really confused why didnt they just ask?

or why dont we put a sticky as the first post in each models forum giving a list of "Aussie" model codes and then what they mean in "non aussie" speak?

CJB
3rd October 2005, 02:57 PM
Well I have never actually heard someone say "I own an Astra G or a TS Astra". It's either just Astra, or Astra City, SXI, SRI, CD or something like that.

InsaneAsylum
3rd October 2005, 03:03 PM
uk and europe:
astra f
astra g
astra h

Australia:
tr astra
ts astra
ah astra

astro boy
3rd October 2005, 03:13 PM
I think someone needs to pick some oranges ;)

InsaneAsylum
3rd October 2005, 03:20 PM
my dad picks the fruit that goes to cottees....

btm
3rd October 2005, 03:21 PM
my dad picks the fruit that goes to cottees....
that makes the cordial - that i like best

Streetlights
3rd October 2005, 03:45 PM
My dad picks his nose...... that goes to Snottees

R3N
3rd October 2005, 03:46 PM
uk and europe:
astra f
astra g
astra h

Australia:
tr astra
ts astra
ah astra

In the UK
Astra Mk3
Astra MK4
Astra Mk5

Red AH SRI T
3rd October 2005, 03:51 PM
who really gives a rats a$$?

it all means the same thing!!!

and if u dont get it all u have to do is ask

we don't bite........well not hard :P

btm
3rd October 2005, 03:52 PM
who really gives a rats a$$?

it all means the same thing!!!

and if u dont get it all u have to do is ask

we don't bite........well not hard :P

are you talking about fruit or snot??? :p

InsaneAsylum
3rd October 2005, 03:56 PM
In the UK
Astra Mk3
Astra MK4
Astra Mk5

well done! i do stand corrected!

Red AH SRI T
3rd October 2005, 03:57 PM
are you talking about fruit or snot??? :p

lmao-neither as it turns out :p

CJB
3rd October 2005, 04:01 PM
I had to explain it to myself because I didn’t know what the G stood for etc or what a Vectra B or Corsa C was… but it’s kinda easy. I mean H comes after G… so the Astra G is the last model to the new Astra H… and Vectra B I thought was the second gen Vectra, same for the Corsa C… third gen Corsa.

In the end who cares though. It’s all just letters, u still know the car type.

btm
3rd October 2005, 04:08 PM
well put kyle... or whatever your name is...

InsaneAsylum
3rd October 2005, 04:09 PM
vectra is an interesting one. the first vectra didn't exist in australia, but it was the cavalier in U.K and the Vectra A everywhere else.

the first vectra we got was the vectra B, which we knew as the JR, then came the JS, JSII or JS3. U.K. called it MK1 and MK1 'facelift' (same as JSII)

Red AH SRI T
3rd October 2005, 04:18 PM
and now we have Vectra C, known here as ZC

lowey22
3rd October 2005, 04:22 PM
oh dear, i got a bit confused in my reply. it makes more sense now...

Red AH SRI T
3rd October 2005, 04:23 PM
go have a lay down

CJB
3rd October 2005, 04:31 PM
Let's all have a lay down! It's a Monday and it's hot...

What was the Corsa A and is there such thing as an Astra A, B, C, D, E, F?

BassyAstra
3rd October 2005, 04:35 PM
uk and europe:
astra f
astra g
astra h

Australia:
tr astra
ts astra
ah astra
At least the H, its the same.
When i first came to the forum i was confused but got the hang of things.
:)
Let's all have a lay down! It's a Monday and it's hot...

What was the Corsa A and is there such thing as an Astra A, B, C, D, E, F?
Yeah ive seen an AStra B on http://www.astra-sri.co.uk/ forums.
THey have from MK1 to MK5 (uk classifications, InsaneAsylum)

orangepicker
3rd October 2005, 04:56 PM
he he he ...... nice one to start a thread where everyone puts in his 2 bob!!!!
i do understand opel/holden linggo, but what does the others that we recommend to come to this forum ?
they might own astras, vectras and barinas, but what do they know of the (inner) things about it?
after all this site was really meant to help and share what we all love ..opels?

by the way i work for FORD although i drive an opel

180HOA
3rd October 2005, 05:03 PM
Personally I've never felt the need the need to 'Opelise' my cars, but each to their own. I joined this site cos I owned one and think they're damn good cars - what people call them doesn't matter that much.

But I agree, it could be confusing for people who don't have an overdeveloped interest in the world market for Opels :p

Maybe someone who knows all the intricacies of the naming/models of Opel products around the world could set up a sticky thread to translate all the differences?

Just a suggestion.

CJB
3rd October 2005, 05:59 PM
Yes but orange picker like I said when I came to this forum I didn't understand a lot of the lingo either, in fact to this day I still don't but I go and read about it... ask people.

I still don't know anything about cars as far as mods/performance items go, but I ask and yeah sound really dumb but how else are you meant to learn?

My advice then for the new people is to just ask... but I like I also said earlier, I had to teach myself the Astra G, Astra H combo's and it was fairly simple.

I had to Opelise my car. I don't know why, I just HAD to. :)

RapidSRi
3rd October 2005, 07:12 PM
i drive a corsa C until some holden dork called it an XC barina hmmm

if your here, either should be understood equally tho

Namus
3rd October 2005, 07:14 PM
one of my uni tutor's once said this to me, and I think it's a valid point which everyone should take on board:

The only dumb question is the one not asked.

CJB
3rd October 2005, 07:22 PM
A personal classic example is in year 12 I didn't ask questions in maths... and in the end I failed year 12 maths, not good - but maths isn't my strong suit, but I wish now I had asked because it did affect my OP score.

I google a lot of things I see on the forum that I don't understand. That works too, so if they don't want to ask what something is then do it that way.

If it wasn't for Rob or Gildo or Jason I wouldn't have a clue what a pod is. That shows my knowledge of the mechanics.

They shouldn't have the expectation either that they will totally understand everything and no one that is an existing member should either. That's why we are here... to talk about it, learn etc. And yeah, to also have some fun off topic crappy posts as well.

Namus
3rd October 2005, 07:38 PM
that's right Kate; i mean Kyle; I mean Crispin; ah watever ur damn name is lmao :P

CJB
3rd October 2005, 07:39 PM
that's right Kate; i mean Kyle; I mean Crispin; ah watever ur damn name is lmao :P

Shut up Namus!!! :)

I was just re-reading the whole thread and I really don't get what your point is Orange.

Namus
3rd October 2005, 07:44 PM
me neither...

Didz
3rd October 2005, 08:07 PM
Err. I wasn't sure of the lingo when i first joined, but it's not hard to learn.

Besides, why should we call them what ****ty holden refers to them as? And not the actual names of the actual manufacturers.

NUTTTR
3rd October 2005, 11:20 PM
astra "G" "mk4
etc, all make sense internationally...... try telling ANYONE overseas you have a "TS" astra... This forum may be used by aussies, but it's also used by people internationally.... it's an astra H..... not AH (ass-hole???) lol

Aaron

CJB
3rd October 2005, 11:22 PM
Can't ya just say instead it's a 2004 Astra and either specify new astra or old astra to define the models and cut this wierd crap out...

We all know what models look like... just saying year model should be enough.

JasonGilholme
4th October 2005, 08:32 AM
but what if people have the sri or the sri t?? or the equipe or the sxi or the cd or the cdxi or watever??

CJB
4th October 2005, 08:51 AM
well then say sri, sxi cd etc... but do you need to add the ts astra city?

sounds... funny.

Wattie
4th October 2005, 11:23 AM
look inside your door, mine says vectra b cc, my girlfriends says astra g cc thanks for comin...

Mr T
4th October 2005, 12:50 PM
What needs to be understood when talking about Holden's initials, is years ago the doutschebags decided to rebadge a Pulsar and call it an Astra, therefore they decided to continue with the "T" at the beginning of the initials when the real Astra was imported.

They also dreamed up this fantastic idea of rebadging Suzuki's and calling them Barina's and when they got the Corsa they kept the name to confuse people into beleiving it was a newer model of the old one (similar to this new stupid idea of replacing the Corsa with a Daewoo)

Also, like my learned friend said earlier, Holden uses two characters to describe a model not one, so they need to follow that trend.

Lastly, at least our names have some form of consistancy (until recently though), Unlike Ford whose initials change more than the design....XA-XF, EA-EL, AU, BA whilst in a slightly shorter period Holden have had VB-VZ (i'm using the large cars because I dont really know about any others)

BTW - I drive a Holden TS Astra SRi T

Red AH SRI T
4th October 2005, 01:15 PM
u mean an Astra G SRi T :p

InsaneAsylum
4th October 2005, 01:30 PM
no he means MKIV astra GSI turbo

lowey22
4th October 2005, 01:34 PM
ha ha! i was just about to say that!

Mr T
4th October 2005, 01:47 PM
Or is it an...Opel TS Astra GSI Turbo

One thing is for sure...It's an Astra...

And thats what matters ! ! !

Red AH SRI T
4th October 2005, 04:44 PM
One thing is for sure...It's an Astra...

And thats what matters ! ! !

i agree :D

JasonGilholme
4th October 2005, 05:46 PM
I don't care what people call their car. If they call it a chevy corsa, an opel corsa, vauxhaul corsa. I don't care!!! as long as its a corsa!!! all that really matters is that people know what we're talkin about. theres plenty of info on this forum for people to read up on and learn about the different models and everything so just let people call their car what ever they wanna call it!!!

I drive a Opel Corsa....simple enough for ya???

oneightoo
4th October 2005, 05:58 PM
if you dont know ask, you wont know, and if you dont know and you dont ask you wont know, then ask someone who knows, and if they dont know, than that person can ask someone who knows than relay it back to the person who asked them so they know, and then that person can tell you what they found and than that way, you will know. and if your still not happy, than dont worry about it, it's not the end of the world that someone calls their car by a letter or a mk or a gsi or a sxi or a cd or cdx or a cdxi or an sri or an sri t or an equipe or any other form of letter combination which describes your model car..

to sum up.. it's not the end of the world, just ask, and you may or may not get ridiculed for not knowing, but at the end of the jokes and make fun of you gags, there will be an answer, a shining light, a ray of effin sunshine, than you can take that little nugget of information and relay it back to you car model letter hater mates and say hey i leanrt this today and aint it cool, and then they can marvel at your intellect and you will have bragging rights that you know more than them.. its a win win situation.. there may be 497 replies to your initial post, sure 99% are making fun in some way, but the answer came out in the end.. you guys might be wondering why this post is so long.. well its because i have 2 minutes left at work and i really cant be bothered doing anymore work.. oh look times up, time to go catch my bus home which is a Volvo MkII C G gsi equipe with optioned hand straps for holding onto when you cant get a seat..

btm
4th October 2005, 06:00 PM
you're a tripper 182 :D

oneightoo
4th October 2005, 06:07 PM
dont hate the player, hate the game :)

dug74
4th October 2005, 07:20 PM
Well if he thinks its confusing here...imagine if you were in the UK and you owned a XC Barina....Oopss Vauxhall Corsa C and you had to explain your model...and engine...

All cars come in Manual and Auto

Australia

XC Barina

SXi 1.4L Twinport 3dr Hatch
CD 1.4L Twinport 5dr Hatch
SRi 1.8l 3dr Hatch

UK

Corsa C

Expression 1.0i or 1.3CDTi 16v 3dr Hatch
Life 1.0i or 1.2i or 1.3CDTi or 1.4i 16v Twinport 3 or 5 dr Hatch
Design 1.2i or 1.3CDTi or 1.4i 3 or 5 dr Hatch
SXi 1.2i or 1.3CDTi or 1.4i 3 or 5 dr Hatch
SXi+ 1.2i or 1.3CDTi or 1.4i or 1.8i 3 or 5 dr Hatch
SRi 1.8i 3 dr Hatch
Ltd Editons

Active 1.0i or 1.2i or 1.3CDTi or 1.4i 3 or 5 dr Hatch
Breeze 1.0i or 1.2i 3 or 5 dr Hatch

Hmmmm and you think Australia is confusing.....do tell ya mates to move to the UK.

Cheers
DUG74

Red AH SRI T
5th October 2005, 12:19 PM
actually they are no longer SXi and CD, now they are just Barina 3dr and Barina 5dr :p

oneightoo
5th October 2005, 12:33 PM
Jayzus, dont confuse the poor lad! :)

Mr T
5th October 2005, 01:04 PM
6 Pages later people are still scratching their heads hehe

arh...back to work then...now where was that again ! ! !

Red AH SRI T
5th October 2005, 01:21 PM
i say if this really is a problem, then put a sticky at the beginning of every models forum giving a list of what each model is and what it is also known as, thats if u can find someone willing :p

CJB
5th October 2005, 01:37 PM
i say if this really is a problem, then put a stick at the beginning of every models forum giving a list of what each model is and what it is also known as, thats if u can find someone willing :p

That's actually a really good idea you have there...........

dug74
5th October 2005, 04:22 PM
actually they are no longer SXi and CD, now they are just Barina 3dr and Barina 5dr :p

No Way..your joking...

I think i was the first to get a *3dr* corsa....and not the SXi.. so i know all about what no SXi badge means on your car.. no map tray, sunglass holder, chrome dash rings, rear disc ...shall i go on.

Cheers
DUG74

Red AH SRI T
5th October 2005, 06:04 PM
yeah its a shame they got rid of the CD and SXI i think they were great!

CJB
5th October 2005, 07:20 PM
yeah its a shame they got rid of the CD and SXI i think they were great!

Why did they?

orangepicker
5th October 2005, 10:34 PM
Can't ya just say instead it's a 2004 Astra and either specify new astra or old astra to define the models and cut this wierd crap out...

We all know what models look like... just saying year model should be enough.

unfortunately we here in australia are always the last ones to get the newer models.
have a look at your compliance and build dates
they are different months or sometimes years.
the ts astra mkII 4wd doesn't even exist here but it has over in europe since 2002.when i ask them if they are going to be available in australia, they answered yes. but what came up here was the ugkly cruse /cruise or whatever.
yukkkkk!

kyle my point was can we all get it simple as it confuses not only the visitors that are seeking info as well as some of the forum members .

my family has 2 ts cd astras , 2 vectras ,1 gl and a cd,both jr's and a little sb barina swing

now, some one had to ask .. "whats a swing mate? "
then from my sister inlaw, .......i bought the astra cd, .cd meaning its got a cd in it ........lol

Mr T
6th October 2005, 11:38 AM
Why did they?

Same reason they went to Daewoo......

$$$$$$$

It's hard to sell a light car with $20K on the window ! ! !

Red AH SRI T
6th October 2005, 12:35 PM
unfortunately we here in australia are always the last ones to get the newer models.
have a look at your compliance and build dates
they are different months or sometimes years.
the ts astra mkII 4wd doesn't even exist here but it has over in europe since 2002.when i ask them if they are going to be available in australia, they answered yes. but what came up here was the ugkly cruse /cruise or whatever.
yukkkkk!

kyle my point was can we all get it simple as it confuses not only the visitors that are seeking info as well as some of the forum members .

my family has 2 ts cd astras , 2 vectras ,1 gl and a cd,both jr's and a little sb barina swing

now, some one had to ask .. "whats a swing mate? "
then from my sister inlaw, .......i bought the astra cd, .cd meaning its got a cd in it ........lol

Who ever u asked about the awd astra coming here had $hit for brains, it wasnt ever going to come here

oh my god, lmao @ the CD thing

just tell them that CD, GL, Swing ect refers to what equipment level they are, and TS, AH, ZC, refers to their model code

dug74
6th October 2005, 01:44 PM
Are you sure it was a Corsa B Swing...or was it an SB Barina City, Swing, Joy or Gsi...

now im confused.. rofl

Cheers
DUG74

oneightoo
6th October 2005, 02:13 PM
doesnt "GL" stand for Goes Lovely??

Wattie
6th October 2005, 04:20 PM
my mate at skool had a barina spoortsgirl ahahhaha he ripped the girl bit off, but when it got dirty you could still see it hahahhahaa

Mrs T
6th October 2005, 05:53 PM
my mate at skool had a barina spoortsgirl ahahhaha he ripped the girl bit off, but when it got dirty you could still see it hahahhahaa

he he he

BTW

Whats this all about???

The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters.

lowey22
6th October 2005, 07:28 PM
yea, ive been wondering the same about that 10 charaters thing. it gives me the shiits!

aussie_in_london
6th October 2005, 09:19 PM
well done! i do stand corrected!

over here its either or both,

astra D
E
F
G
H
&
astra mk1
mk2
mk3
mk4
mk5

then add what engine you have, model spec - 888, VXR, coupe, sports hatch, 5 door, 3 door, estate, van etc etc etc lol

bones
9th October 2005, 01:29 PM
It's just the way it is, its still English, what about Corsas? We have to call them Barinas too? Unless you wanna come off sounding like a pretentious wanker, you do.
after all this site was really meant to help and share what we all love ..opels? I don't love Opels. Look how bad the original Calibras, straight off the Opel production line, were before the Holden engineers got involved and sorted out the suspension for local conditions. If you have a car sold by Holden, that is what it is - a Barina or a TS/AH Astra. It is different to an Opel and much better for it. Any motoring journo will tell you that the more input local engineers have, the better product we get in the showroom. I think "Opelising" your Holden is a little sad, like you're embarrassed to own a great car, optimised for local conditions. I'm really proud to drive a Holden Calibra and I am looking forward to getting my Holden Astra Coupe. After all, if I called it a GTC people might think I had a red one.

Wattie
9th October 2005, 02:10 PM
Unless you wanna come off sounding like a pretentious wanker, you do. I don't love Opels. Look how bad the original Calibras, straight off the Opel production line, were before the Holden engineers got involved and sorted out the suspension for local conditions. If you have a car sold by Holden, that is what it is - a Barina or a TS/AH Astra. It is different to an Opel and much better for it. Any motoring journo will tell you that the more input local engineers have, the better product we get in the showroom. I think "Opelising" your Holden is a little sad, like you're embarrassed to own a great car, optimised for local conditions. I'm really proud to drive a Holden Calibra and I am looking forward to getting my Holden Astra Coupe. After all, if I called it a GTC people might think I had a red one.

so tell me what was changed with the astras and vectras before thay came to aus?? you speaking for cali's but what about the rest?? hmmmz??

NUTTTR
9th October 2005, 03:25 PM
I don't love Opels. Look how bad the original Calibras, straight off the Opel production line, were before the Holden engineers got involved and sorted out the suspension for local conditions. If you have a car sold by Holden, that is what it is - a Barina or a TS/AH Astra. It is different to an Opel and much better for it. Any motoring journo will tell you that the more input local engineers have, the better product we get in the showroom. I think "Opelising" your Holden is a little sad, like you're embarrassed to own a great car, optimised for local conditions. I'm really proud to drive a Holden Calibra and I am looking forward to getting my Holden Astra Coupe. After all, if I called it a GTC people might think I had a red one.

So you are saying that the engineer's here make the car's better? I don't think that has anything to do with it....... it's more the fact that aussie roads are crap compared to most other european countries...... Cars designed for smoother roads don't work well here.... I know of nothing holden did for the astra "H" or the "G" to make it "australia" worthy....
So what you are saying is that even though my car has GM-Opel on the engine, Opel on the chassis, Opel on the stickers, but has some holden lion on the steering wheel and some on the outside, that it's actually a holden, designed and built by australia's holden?

Namus
9th October 2005, 03:56 PM
so the new Barina MUST be a Holden then right? lmao...

bones
9th October 2005, 05:33 PM
So what you are saying is that even though my car has GM-Opel on the engine, Opel on the chassis, Opel on the stickers, but has some holden lion on the steering wheel and some on the outside, that it's actually a holden, designed and built by australia's holden? Why does it have to be built here to be a Holden? Peugeot's are built in England, Astra Classic in Poland, Hondas in Thailand, all AH Astra variants are massemled in Belgium with Hungarian engines and Barinas are assembled in Spain [aren't they?]. At least my Calibra was built in Germany [but it doesn't even have a lion on the steering boss]. Pontiac GTO's are built here but do you think there is a www.holdenusa.com? [I checked, there's not.] If you think that tuning European cars for Australian conditions is just about our comparatively poor road surfaces, you are only getting part of the story. Its just as much about the different ways in which cars are used in different places. After all, its not like the Euro Calibras handled well in any situation - they were set up for freeway touring and struggled on twisty roads, regardless of the surface, because their ride was generally too soft. Finally, there hasn't been a Holden designed in Australia for almost 30 years. That will change when the new one is released but every Commodore up until now has been based on a German car, modified for sale in Australia. Sure, the modifications are far more extensive but why draw a line? I've seen a couple of Calibras here with Opel badges but I always figured they were grey imports. Until I discovered this place it never occrred to me that anyone would see any cachet in a badge that in its home country is seen as bottom of the barrel. Like I said, its kinda sad.

NUTTTR
9th October 2005, 06:04 PM
Why does it have to be built here to be a Holden? Peugeot's are built in England, Astra Classic in Poland, Hondas in Thailand, all AH Astra variants are massemled in Belgium with Hungarian engines and Barinas are assembled in Spain [aren't they?]. At least my Calibra was built in Germany [but it doesn't even have a lion on the steering boss]. Pontiac GTO's are built here but do you think there is a www.holdenusa.com? [I checked, there's not.] If you think that tuning European cars for Australian conditions is just about our comparatively poor road surfaces, you are only getting part of the story. Its just as much about the different ways in which cars are used in different places. After all, its not like the Euro Calibras handled well in any situation - they were set up for freeway touring and struggled on twisty roads, regardless of the surface, because their ride was generally too soft. Finally, there hasn't been a Holden designed in Australia for almost 30 years. That will change when the new one is released but every Commodore up until now has been based on a German car, modified for sale in Australia. Sure, the modifications are far more extensive but why draw a line? I've seen a couple of Calibras here with Opel badges but I always figured they were grey imports. Until I discovered this place it never occrred to me that anyone would see any cachet in a badge that in its home country is seen as bottom of the barrel. Like I said, its kinda sad.

Yeah, it's about heat, etc, too...... the astra here is as it was sold overseas...... likewise the vectra...... they are identical...... the astra turbo's do struggle with aussie heat.... I never said it had to be BUILT HERE, i said built by australia's holden....... The astra is built and designed by opel..... they whack a holden badge on it and suddenly it's a holden...... really all they do is import and support it here... So how does that make it instantly a holden? The astra G and Astra H are built in Belguim (at least mine/her's is), with opel EVERYWHERE on the car, because holden thought "hey, let's import it", that doesn't make it a holden... It IS an opel, but it has a holden badge... That's why Opel Australia is here, it's for the Opel's of australia....... The barina is the same (not the new one), they are all built by Opel, and have opel everywhere too, just holden badges stuck on...
Now it's a different story if you stuck Opel badges on a commodore or something... Or even chevy badges, really (which is becoming VERY VERY common), even though it's a chevy engine, the car was built here, it IS a holden...
Look, whatever..... you can think what you like, that's the truth and why half of us change the badges..... the opel badge does look much nicer

Aaron

low astra
9th October 2005, 06:28 PM
thats it honestly its a choice of style, the opel flash does look a lot neater and i think most the people here will agree, so just get over yourself mate

go pat your lion

CJB
9th October 2005, 06:42 PM
So you don't love Opels Bones... then why are you on here?

I call mine a Corsa, because that's what I have it badged as. Even family and friends call it a Corsa or an Opel because they see the badges. Barina doesn't even enter their minds anymore. I sometimes call it a Barina, because some people still look at me blanked face if I say an Opel Corsa... but I guess I must be a pretentious wanker then for rebadging it as a Corsa, or even Opel for that matter. Argh well, so be it.

dug74
9th October 2005, 08:08 PM
i think holden are the wankers...for leaving the opel engine cover, battery and opel card in my service book....I THOUGHT IT WAS A HOLDEN...

seriously...its personal choice..if you want your car to be a holden calibra...fair enuff...if others want it to be a Vauxhall, Opel or Chevy...its THEIR CHOICE...

END OF STORY.

I have a pretty sweet OPEL CORSA...check it out sometime

====> http://www.dug74.info

Mr T
10th October 2005, 08:59 AM
I never said it had to be BUILT HERE, i said built by australia's holden....... The astra is built and designed by opel..... they whack a holden badge on it and suddenly it's a holden...... really all they do is import and support it here... So how does that make it instantly a holden? The astra G and Astra H are built in Belguim (at least mine/her's is), with opel EVERYWHERE on the car, because holden thought "hey, let's import it", that doesn't make it a holden... It IS an opel, but it has a holden badge...

Aaron

It’s quite simple really...Holden is part of the world’s largest motor manufacturing company - General Motors. Each subsidiary of General Motors is assigned to a geographical region, Holden gets Australasia, and some get everywhere because they are not competing with other companies - Saab for example. Most of the companies that make up the conglomerate of General Motors build cars and components, whilst all wholesale to a dealer network.

Rather than have two or more GM Companies compete for market share with similar cars, it is simpler for companies like Holden and Vauxhall to import on behalf of the sister company and market under an already strong brand, also aiding in providing a complete model line up without the added costs of manufacturing.

FYI General Motors companies include:

Holden
Chevrolet
Buick
Saturn
Pontiac
GMC
Isuzu
Suzuki
Daewoo
Opel
Vauxhall
Saab
GM Drivetrain

Nissans are sold all around the world badged as Nissans
Toyotas are sold all around the world badged as Toyotas
Fords are sold all around the world badged as Fords
But when it comes to GM, They badge their cars according to the local distributor...it must work because GM are the largest automotive manufacturer in the world.

Holden sell in Australia on behalf of: Holden, Isuzu, Suzuki, Opel, and Daewoo.
With engines coming from Buick, Chevrolet, Isuzu, Suzuki, Opel and Holden AKA GM Drivetrain

Holden build around 180,000 - 200,000 Commodore variants per year, they sell in Aus around 180,000 - 200,000 cars per year including imports. They export the rest (65,000) to South Africa (Opel), Middle East (Chevrolet) Asia (Holden), USA (Pontiac) and England (Vauxhall). They export engines to Saab, Opel, Chevrolet, Buick, Saturn and Pontiac.

It’s not just a matter of importing a car a whacking a badge on it, it’s about a global operation of manufacturing prowess. But most of all, for profit maximisation.

btm
10th October 2005, 09:19 AM
very informative there mr t

oneightoo
10th October 2005, 12:43 PM
i got my car modified at Fat Tony's Performance Parts, does that mean my car is a Fat Tony Astra?

Red AH SRI T
10th October 2005, 01:03 PM
Why does it have to be built here to be a Holden? Peugeot's are built in England, Astra Classic in Poland, Hondas in Thailand, all AH Astra variants are massemled in Belgium with Hungarian engines and Barinas are assembled in Spain [aren't they?]. At least my Calibra was built in Germany [but it doesn't even have a lion on the steering boss]. Pontiac GTO's are built here but do you think there is a www.holdenusa.com? [I checked, there's not.] If you think that tuning European cars for Australian conditions is just about our comparatively poor road surfaces, you are only getting part of the story. Its just as much about the different ways in which cars are used in different places. After all, its not like the Euro Calibras handled well in any situation - they were set up for freeway touring and struggled on twisty roads, regardless of the surface, because their ride was generally too soft. Finally, there hasn't been a Holden designed in Australia for almost 30 years. That will change when the new one is released but every Commodore up until now has been based on a German car, modified for sale in Australia. Sure, the modifications are far more extensive but why draw a line? I've seen a couple of Calibras here with Opel badges but I always figured they were grey imports. Until I discovered this place it never occrred to me that anyone would see any cachet in a badge that in its home country is seen as bottom of the barrel. Like I said, its kinda sad.

sorry, but wasn't the monaro designed here? and sure the VB-VT commodores were based on euro designs, but put them next to each other and u will see huge differences, and they dont share any panels.

Btw, Holden also designed the Cruze here :p