PDA

View Full Version : Redesigning: Comments please.

Turblue
2nd October 2005, 10:44 AM
Hey everyone...

As per normal, an upgrade for the forum software has occurred. A major one I believe. So, before I implement it, I thought i would do some redesigning.

I am experimenting with a left hand navigation + links column. :rolleyes:

http://furkids.no-ip.info:20102/

Please have a look and tell me what you think. I'm open to ideas and suggestions. If you think it is crap, that's ok. Offer me an idea. I'm not the greatest graphic designer.

:o:o:o

Remember this is a test site, so don't post here..!!!!

CateO
2nd October 2005, 11:32 AM
The font doesn't do it for me, or the navigation down the left ...

I'm just used to seeing on most sites the set up we currently have.
Unfortunately I'm a crap designed too so can't suggest a LOT.
Keep up the good job on updating tho Wayne :)

Namus
2nd October 2005, 12:32 PM
doesn't seem to 'blend with the rest of the page';

perhaps try across the top with that font?

Turblue
2nd October 2005, 02:31 PM
I can't say that I am completely happy with it either. I wanted to have your comments and feedback.

Anyone suggest an improvement to what we have now??

Rhino
2nd October 2005, 03:06 PM
The only thing that I'm not really happy with on this version (vBulletin) is the amount of vertical realestate that the user info takes up (avatar, username, contact details, location etc). On PHP it was on the left of the message and didn't take up as much space.

That is the only reason I'd avoid going to left hand nav. We need that space... unless we can get the user info over there like PHP. There is a LOT more vertical scrolling in this software.

So far as design goes... we know the header definitely needs some work... the UI is fine...

Space... header is way too large. Being a designer in a government department, we unfortunately still have clients using 800 x 600 resolution and sadly it is still standard for new OSs to be set to that res by default. Attached is what this site looks like in 8x6. Pretty much just the header.

All the nav should at least fit into the space of the existing header graphic.

People with large resolutions, anything over 1280 x 1024 expect to see things smaller, you shouldn't increase images so it looks OK for them. Typically, and unfortunately, web design 'should' still aim at an 8x6 audience.

My only real input at this point.

Turblue
2nd October 2005, 04:29 PM
Valid points mate.

Everything on this can be changed. The template system is fantastic. MUCH better than php. Only thing is I just have to play around until I nut this all out.

Consensus seems to be that the left nav is a 'no go'. (???)

BassyAstra
2nd October 2005, 05:25 PM
Hopefully the update fixes the PM's omg they are super annoying.

And i wish it was easier to put smilies in messages without having to remember them.

Also i dont understand why there is a 3 picture limit in posts and that includes SMILIES ??

Keep up the good word turbz.

Turblue
2nd October 2005, 06:05 PM
I have closed the test server. Need to have a looooong play......

Thanks for the comments everyone.

Rhino: I agree with you regarding getting the user details on the left. I have left a "howto" request with the vBulletin Team.

Bassy: Please PM me with your hassles. I'm not sure what they are. Please go to "UserCP/Edit Options" and scroll down to the bottom. There is a drop box for choosing which post editor you want. There should be no need to remember smilies.

Turblue
3rd October 2005, 08:28 AM
In response to a suggestion, I have changed the post view to have the user details on the left hand side. This mod actually is just a checkbox in the Admin panel, so swapping back is a quick click.

Is this a better look?? Do you all like it??

Remember that we are still looking for a new banner graphic.
http://opelaus.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6268

btm
3rd October 2005, 08:39 AM
yep - i prefer the user details on the left side

Alfonzo
3rd October 2005, 09:30 AM
I haven't fiddled in the test site at all, but just a quick note with the gripe I have with the current forums and the Quick Reply.

Is it necessary to click a 'Quick Reply' icon in the thread, or can this be set up to just cilck on this box and start replying? Every time I go to quick reply I click this box, then find I have to go find a QR button. I know it's something that should be adapted, but it'd be more user friendly to just click in here and type away. (sorry if that got muddled up, I haven't had a coffee yet this morning...)

Turblue
3rd October 2005, 09:43 AM
I haven't fiddled in the test site at all, but just a quick note with the gripe I have with the current forums and the Quick Reply.

Is it necessary to click a 'Quick Reply' icon in the thread, or can this be set up to just cilck on this box and start replying? Every time I go to quick reply I click this box, then find I have to go find a QR button. I know it's something that should be adapted, but it'd be more user friendly to just click in here and type away. (sorry if that got muddled up, I haven't had a coffee yet this morning...)
Alfonzo: I have always thought it a bit strange too. I'm not sure what the design idea behind it was. I seem to remember something about the code needing to know to which post you are actually replying. Not sure, but I can look into it.

Alfonzo
3rd October 2005, 08:50 PM
That's odd, because I just clicked my post to quick reply to, when I'm actually replying to yours, and there's no notification or reference to either one! lol!! :)

btm
4th October 2005, 07:21 AM
That's odd, because I just clicked my post to quick reply to, when I'm actually replying to yours, and there's no notification or reference to either one! lol!! :)
thats cause you have to 'tick' the box that says "quote message in reply?" in the bottom left corner of the page - otherwise it just posts whatever you type and nothing else

Turblue
4th October 2005, 06:35 PM
Bassy: I have changed the number of images you can use. It was set at 4. So you can now use more smilies.

Alfonzo: Quoting Admin panel option regarding the post icon...

Require Click for Quick Reply
If you set this option to 'no', users will not have to click the Quick Reply icon in order to type a message in the quick reply box.

However, this will be at the expense of the usefulness of the Threaded and Hybrid view modes, as the system will not know to which post a user is replying, so the threaded view will become non-sensical.

Alfonzo
4th October 2005, 07:06 PM
Ahhh ok, thanks for that then, that bit makes sense :)