PDA

View Full Version : Fbw

nadg63
2nd October 2005, 08:49 AM
First it was my SRi 2.2, now my SRiT ........................... man I HATE 'fly by wire' accelerators!

nadg63

Wattie
2nd October 2005, 04:45 PM
dont worry you'll get used to it, just hit the accelorater 5 seconds b4 your ready to take off, hahaha

Mr T
4th October 2005, 08:44 AM
HAHAHA...classic

rjastra
4th October 2005, 09:21 AM
have no problems with my SRi.

learn to drive :P

InsaneAsylum
4th October 2005, 09:40 AM
worst invention ever....

at the end of the day the computer controls how fast you want to accelerate

woody
4th October 2005, 10:46 AM
Yeah i have to agree after years of driving by cable i had an issue (and still do) with the lag in it, you get used to it and learn to compensate but it'd be nice if they'd made it more responsive from the factory. It's especially bad in the auto's! :(

NUTTTR
4th October 2005, 12:01 PM
FBW is no problem.... i've never noticed a serious issue, mines pretty fast..... you do notice it, but not enough to worry me!

nadg63
4th October 2005, 12:34 PM
It's just annoying!

rjastra
4th October 2005, 03:12 PM
at the end of the day the computer controls how fast you want to accelerate

Ummm, no it doesn't. It does however select the optimal throttle opening for the conditions.

You guys realise that just about every car nowadays has electronic throttle control. From Commodores to Ferraris. I am not hearing complaints.

InsaneAsylum
4th October 2005, 03:41 PM
Ummm, no it doesn't. It does however select the optimal throttle opening for the conditions.

You guys realise that just about every car nowadays has electronic throttle control. From Commodores to Ferraris. I am not hearing complaints.

hahahahahhahah OK.

yes I do realise that all cars have this these days, but it's to comply with pollution standards rather than safety. I drove a BA XR8 and it was lacklustre to be honest and I blame this on FBW. each time i floored it out of a corner (this was at calder raceway in a race prepped car with cage, harness etc.) the power would come on 1 second later, almost like a big flat spot. my vectra feels more responsive than the xr8, i'm not saying it's faster or more powerful, because it's not... just more in touch with my right foot.

rjastra
5th October 2005, 10:53 AM
I drove a BA XR8 and it was lacklustre to be honest and I blame this on FBW.

Funny how you just don't blame it on the car being a FORD!! :)

Namus
5th October 2005, 11:51 AM
Yeah i have to agree after years of driving by cable i had an issue (and still do) with the lag in it, you get used to it and learn to compensate but it'd be nice if they'd made it more responsive from the factory. It's especially bad in the auto's! :(

yeah, agreed. if u floor it, it takes like 1.5 secs before it responds...lol...quite fun actually, bar the crazy torque steer... :D

stevedee3
5th October 2005, 01:45 PM
And accelerate-by-wire means you get cruise control for free...

Dave
5th October 2005, 04:15 PM
I agree i dont like it much either but what can you do, just learn to drive with it. i had an 89 astra aswell it responded much better even though it was a gutless piece of sh!t compared to my 04.

zoidberg
5th October 2005, 05:21 PM
hmm, i dont mind it.

We used to have a 98 model Astra (they didn't have FBW back then) in our family. My 04 with FBW is MUCH MUCH more responsive, the variable inlet manifold could also have something to do with this but.

Turblue
5th October 2005, 08:55 PM
I really have no issue. Personally I am happy for the ECU to look after things. Especially TC and ESP.!!!!

180HOA
5th October 2005, 09:36 PM
Same. I had a pre-FBW TS/G/4 Astra and a mate at the time had one with FBW. The power was delivered a bit differently, but I don't really think it has a marked affect on performance. If anything the FBW was less irritable (especially where there's that nasty flat spot at low revs in the 1.8's that can trip you up nastily if you mess up the take-off - or maybe that was just me :p).

Maybe people who would prefer without FBW could look at lower-tech cars - like, oh i dunno, Daewoo's maybe? :p

rjastra
5th October 2005, 10:45 PM
anyway, how do you know the FBW is the problem with the SRi Turbo??? could be just turbo lag.

Dave
6th October 2005, 12:01 AM
I really have no issue. Personally I am happy for the ECU to look after things. Especially TC and ESP.!!!!

lol i disable TC and esp i cant stand the crap, it slows me down man...........and i like a bit of wheel slip every now and again, its also great for slideing around corners no nasty computer takeing all the fun away from me hehe, i like the ecu maintaing my timeing fuel mixture and varius other things but i hate it controling my power and 4 bits of ruber in contact with the road. oh btw new devopment with my astra, ever since i got new tires even with abs still enabled it likes to pull/slide sideways under heavy breaking, never did that with 4 bald tires it just slid straight, freaked the crap out of a friend of mine who is called freak ( funny huh ) we were in a hurry mayb going a little bit to fast fro the recomended speed limits ( what are they? ) and i had to break to merg, ( dam slow 80k traffic ) but therse a dodgy part of the rd where its still roughf no gravel or anything, i hit that while breaking and the car swung out sideways under breaks, its great fun if you can control it, i recomend every one to try it. also does it on smooth surfaces now aswell. its kinda funny.

zoidberg
6th October 2005, 07:48 AM
By the sounds of things your an accident waiting to happen.

Lets see what happens when you've got that "Crap" turned off and you get yourself into a bad situation.

JasonGilholme
6th October 2005, 07:55 AM
it will be his own fault then wont it

hehehe

at least he wont be able to blame it on the car

180HOA
6th October 2005, 12:19 PM
Haha. Aren't people that drive like that the reason ESP was invented, anyway?

Note to self: Don't buy Dave's car. It'll be f*cked by the time he's finished with it.

Dave
6th October 2005, 02:31 PM
lol funny ppl, the reason i hate it is because it was partly at fualt for a previus accident i had, but we wont get into this one again, it started a masive sh!t fight here, but a phuew ppl did see my point about it.