PDA

View Full Version : One less Astra for a few weeks...

Poogene2001
27th September 2005, 05:06 PM
Thats right... my poor little Astra H is being asessed as I write this post. Not 3 months since i got my hands on it, and its already in the panel shop!
Got hit in the left rear quarter panel by an on-coming car while performing a right hand turn at an intersection. He ran the red and was accelerating through it, while I was making the turn. Copped the hit directly into the left rear wheel (bending the allow and the rear suspension arm) and tearing off my rear bumper!
When i called to my insurer (just cars) to report it, they told me that unless I could prove that the light was red (i dunno how they realistically expect that) or the other driver admitted it (yeah right!) that I would be named at fault of the accident.
Doesnt sound all that fair to me... but what can I do?
So looks like im going back to a rating 3, and will be $850 poorer next week!
And to top it off, it was only hours after attending the Opel Victoria Cruise to emerald lake! BUMMER BIG TIME!
No photos of the car, Id rather forget how bad it looked!

btm
27th September 2005, 05:12 PM
that's crap!

did the police attend the accident? they will/should determine the fault of the accident and it should be all in their statements....

let us know how it all goes

hope you get it sorted mate

Poogene2001
27th September 2005, 05:17 PM
The police said that unless someone was injured or there was petrol or oil on the road, then they would not come to the scene of an accident. I was always under the impression that it was normal procedure to call the cops after an accident (especially one where both cars had to be towed away).

btm
27th September 2005, 05:25 PM
man... that just keeps getting worse... if someone calls the cops after an accident and requests police assistance then they are obliged to come (well in NSW anyway)

oneightoo
27th September 2005, 06:11 PM
man... that just keeps getting worse... if someone calls the cops after an accident and requests police assistance then they are obliged to come (well in NSW anyway)
No thats not entirley true, if there is an accident and you call the Police they will ask you 5 questions:

1. Did one of the drivers refuses to give their details?
2. Is someone seriously injured/deceased?
3. Do you suspect there is alcohol/drugs involved?
4. Do any of the cars require towing?
5. Is there damage to vehicles or property not involved exceeding $500.

If you answer No to all 5 questions that is classed as a minor incident and you get a report number. If you answer Yes to any of those questions it is regarded as a major incident and the Police will be on there way to see you..

Poogene2001
27th September 2005, 06:24 PM
Then the Police in Templestowe are lazy MOFO's cos id estimate the damage to my car is approx $2-3K and the other guys car maybe double. Id say thats a major accident and both had to be towed... Victoria Police too busy eating donuts and looking for terrorist it would seem!

BassyAstra
27th September 2005, 07:37 PM
Daymn, not good to hear.

Namus
27th September 2005, 08:52 PM
well, based on 182's five questions; question 5 would've been answered 'yes' (being $850 as quoted by the panel beater) so they should have come....

rjastra
27th September 2005, 09:14 PM
Well, since you would be the party at fault any involvement by the police could have you up for a neg driving charge.

CateO
27th September 2005, 10:10 PM
Ouchies, so sorry to hear about it ... certainly not something I'd wish on ANYONE!

Victorian Police are lazy lazy lazy butts, well known fact. So unless you're seriously injured or your leg is dangling by a thread of muscle, they don't give a hoot!

Good luck with it ... Great Panel beater down here @ Geelong tho that I'd recommend anyday!!!

oneightoo
28th September 2005, 09:11 AM
well, based on 182's five questions; question 5 would've been answered 'yes' (being $850 as quoted by the panel beater) so they should have come....

Sorry, point 5 may have been unclear..

what it means is, any property or vehicles not involved in the accident, ie, say i hit your car namus and our cars are the only ones damaged then you would answer No, but if i hit you and then hit someones fence or another car and their damage is estimated at over $500 than the answer would be a Yes..

oneightoo
28th September 2005, 09:14 AM
i should probably alos note that this is a NSW police procedure, other states might be different..

Namus
28th September 2005, 01:40 PM
Sorry, point 5 may have been unclear..

what it means is, any property or vehicles not involved in the accident, ie, say i hit your car namus and our cars are the only ones damaged then you would answer No, but if i hit you and then hit someones fence or another car and their damage is estimated at over $500 than the answer would be a Yes..

oh, u mean like 3rd party property damage...right-o

oneightoo
28th September 2005, 02:20 PM
haha yeah, to sum up, 3rd party damage..