PDA

View Full Version : Oops - help with paint repair

blackSRi
24th September 2005, 11:31 PM
Don't you know it - after 3 years of keeping the rear bumper unmarked - tonight I reversed in a bit too close to a concrete wall when parking and scratched a broad line in the bumper paint, centre of the bumper (15cm by 5cm) - down to the plastic in parts (the wall was rough). doh doh double doh

Does anyone have a repair suggestion that's not too expensive?
The car is leased (due back in December), black astra paint (basically piano black with sparkles - not sure what number) - the marks are very noticable as they are holes and deep scratches with raised paint around them, I've tried polishing them out but to no avail. I think touch-up paint would definitely be noticed (by the lease company when I return the car when they inspect it and they do fine - two colleagues have been done for other minor stuff like this from the same company and return depo).
I would love to do a respray of the whole bumper but for a leased car I think it might be too much. The other way would be claim on insurance but that's $500 excess.

Anyone either know of a solution or an affordable retoucher (spraypainter) in Perth? Is it worth just fixing the area somehow?

Your help will be greatly appreciated.

R3N
25th September 2005, 01:16 AM
What would be the consequences if the lease company had seen that on inspection? Would they ask you to fix it up? If you could bear with it and if the only way was to respray, I'd wait until closer to that date before you respray the bumper in case any other little "incidents" happen.

Coincedently, I got my rear bumper resprayed for $400 inclusive of a repair (damage was someone who borrowed my car reversed into a trailer and the tow ball made a "hole" in the bumper). I could dig up the number of the place for you if you want.

blackSRi
25th September 2005, 02:02 AM
hi, the consequence would be a fine (it's stipulated in the conditions of return), eg large dent $100, small dent $25-30, bird crap stain in the paint work $100, more than 15 stone chips in the front $100, 2 verysmall dents 2-5mm allowed per panel etc so forth.
The worst fine one friend at work got was $600 (eg multiple paint damage from bird lime, couple af largish dents etc), the other copped $200 for minor scrapes etc. Fair wear and tear is allowed, but within the contract limits.
The dilemma I face is either;
1. fix it cheaply (chip crayon, clay bar, touch-up paint) and it shows,
2, or get a dent remover guy do a spot paint (so this money comes out of pre-tax money and I basically save 20-30% of the cost),
3. or wait for the fine which comes out of post-tax dollars (so no discount), and it could exceed the costs of either the other two options.

Hmm, what to do - I think a total respray could be avoided, I just need maybe a cheap spot repairer to blend in the fix maybe?

Adrian
28th September 2005, 03:00 PM
if you dont care too much, you could mask it up and spray it your self. just the section that is scratched and then use a cutting agent and polish it up.

looks ok, did it to my old car.

NUTTTR
28th September 2005, 10:59 PM
Who cares??? For $100 or so, it would cost HEAPS more to get someone else to repaint it...

blackSRi
29th September 2005, 02:04 AM
good point

woody
29th September 2005, 12:07 PM
Did exactly the same thing in my Astra.. well almost.. parked it in my garage a little too eagerly and rolled it forward into a concrete post.. minor scratch but all the same! :( took it in to get a quote and was told he'd have to do the whole front bumper to get the match right - quoted $250. I'd wear the bump and pay 100 bucks.

blackSRi
29th September 2005, 02:16 PM
Well I have used ScratchX with reasonable success - theres one big one left and I have some touchup paint I can smooth in with some acetone, cheap (I will use the scratchX on my friends cars).