PDA

View Full Version : Which performance petrol do you use?

btm
18th September 2005, 12:35 PM
Not sure if this has been discussed in the past... I had a look through old threads but couldnt find anything - so here it goes!

What performance petrol do you use and in your opinion, what do you find gives the best results for your car?

And also - is the current price of petrol effecting your choice of spending the extra 10c/L to fill up with premium petrol?

BassyAstra
18th September 2005, 12:54 PM
Ohter Caltex Vortex Premium 98
Petrol card, cant go anywhere else.

scrapster
18th September 2005, 01:05 PM
i use optimax - slightly better fuel economy in my opinion & slightly better performance..

closely followed by B ultimate then Caltex Vortex.

Shane

NUTTTR
18th September 2005, 01:34 PM
i'm yet to try synergy 8000 (none near here!) but i've always used BP ultimate in the astra, Optimax in the volvo... Volvo ran like arse on ultimate, but was excellent on optimax, in the astra (don't drive as much as i used to) i don't go through enough fuel (tank every 2 weeks) and after about 4 days or so the optimax starts to drive/feel like normal unleaded.... :)

Alfonzo
18th September 2005, 02:38 PM
Fine time to do it, but I'm two tanks into giving my car an Optimax diet.

Just interested how differently it performs, seems to have a little smoother run going up the revs...

If prices aren't too bad I wouldn't mind trying it out with BP Ultimate, trouble is both the stations closest to home and work are still out of my way to get to...

entice
18th September 2005, 02:39 PM
i use anything available in the astra, even the safeway stuff...actually found it ran more economical on normal rather than the OPtimax.
Was speaking to some techo's and tuners of race vehicles, and what they have found is that HDHO fuel (Optimax) is only decent if used in high compression vehicles/engines. ie, when on boost its ok, but for plodding around not so efficient. other 98's do not suffer from the same predicament, only the high density ones. Now, that said, in the STI, I've tried the lot of the 98's. Tried BP (not so good) 8000 (last 4 tankfills were absolutely magnificent, and Optimax. Each time I go back to Optimax it seems to be so much more fuel efficient than the others...for the 1st tank..and then it dwindles back to normal....so, in essence, i use whatever, but if I start getting a few bad batches (ie knocklink lighting up) from the same manufacturer, i then switch...and switch back etc etc...

staple fuel though is Optimax....closest servo, discount, and fly buys

Dee
19th September 2005, 09:05 AM
i used BP Ultimate in my barina pretty much from day one... bit of a waste considering the size and use of the engine..... but i did it to keep my engine clean

since buying the rolla (can only use PULP) i have switched to Mobil... and she loves it.... used BP a few times, cos it was the closest and i was running out of petrol fast.... she seems to run a lot better when i get her back onto the Mobil

InsaneAsylum
19th September 2005, 09:46 AM
other... basically the cheapest at the moment... i don't have the luxury of "performance fuel" with the proces at the moment

KID_SRi
19th September 2005, 06:23 PM
I'm Other. I use Shell 108/135LL. If ya a gunna pay $1.40 a Litre, Why not spend the extra 15c a litre and get real Fuel.

POW00A
19th September 2005, 06:52 PM
I make my own per4mance petty, use 95 octane petrol (any) and then use splitfire octane boost and add to my petrol runs well

BassyAstra
19th September 2005, 07:49 PM
I'm Other. I use Shell 108/135LL. If ya a gunna pay $1.40 a Litre, Why not spend the extra 15c a litre and get real Fuel.
Which shell station has that :) :) ??
What would happen if u filled your car with octane boost?

entice
19th September 2005, 09:43 PM
if u filled your car up with octane boost, you'd end up with orange coated plugs and exhaust system...not very good at all...actually this happend when u use a full bottle of teh prostrength to a tank...u should use only half bottle to a tank...

even better than the shell 105 is the Elf or Martini 110 racing fuel... nice stuff for the track, nice insurance policy against ping, but costs over$4 a litre

extralarge
20th September 2005, 12:55 AM
vortex is rough and noisy and acceleration not smooth
optimax is smooth but not powerful
ultimate is smooth and powerful... been using it for over a year straight - time after time, runs well
8000 slots between ultimate and optimax

KID_SRi
20th September 2005, 07:08 AM
Which shell station has that :) :) ??
What would happen if u filled your car with octane boost?

You have to order it from Shell Service Stations it comes in 20 or 40 Litre Drums, Because its Avaition Fuel they don't stock it.
I don't use it all the time though, Do 3/4 tank of that to 1/4 of Optimax or Ultimate.

bones
8th October 2005, 02:38 PM
I can't feel any difference between Ultimate and Vortex98 so I generally use Ultimate as it is only 9c a litre above ULP whereas Vortex98 is 11c above. I couldn't tell you the last time I put any other brand of petrol in my car and, TBH, I didn't realise that Optimax and Mobil 8000 were 98RON, I thought they were 95RON. The difference between 95 and 98 is very noticable in my car, even more noticable than ULP to 95 although again, I couldn't tell you the last time I put ULP in it.

pred8r
8th October 2005, 06:53 PM
I know in power, idle etc premium fuels are better are better than regular.

The fuel you put in from when you filled up has probably gone off by the time you need to refill (even with the same brand fuel) the 'new' fuel makes a difference just because its not 'off'.

So is the major cause of the difference you feel, the brand or just 'new' fuel?

This assumes that you fill from near empty, more than that and your just mixing fuels and it wouldnt be as noticible. It also doesnt take into account batch variation.

Does AVGas go 'off'? (bad off, not off like 'YEEHAA!' cue dixie airhorns)

EL BURITO
8th October 2005, 07:25 PM
Well i used Bp98 until 2 weeks ago wen i got my exhaust done then the petrol station accross the road from work had petrol for 113.9 with the voucher.(cheapest i have seen in weeks) I couldn't pass it up. I will probly use Bp98 tomorrow wen i fill up cos i wanna see wat my fuel economy dose with the Bp98 and new exhaust. Cos economy went up with the RULP but i wanna see wat it dose. I was getting 100km/6.5Lt befor exhaust mod on Bp98. No one else sells 98 in WA beside BP

Red AH SRI T
9th October 2005, 03:20 AM
i skimped the other day and put just standard ULP (gotta pee, be back......ahhh that feels batter....now where was i?) and for some reason im getting worse performance but better fuel economy??!!