PDA

View Full Version : extension cord on car battery

JakeSRIT
15th September 2005, 11:45 PM
hey guys

as most of you know i am goin into auto salon this year.

now first things first, i have to run my sound system at the show, and the power that comes out of the power outlet is 15amp power with 3600Volts out of a standard 240 plug, so the manager says, if that is the case i can just hook my car battery str8 up to it and it should keep the battery charged and run my stereo.

my question is i have used an extension cord and split the three prongs ups into connectors for the battery, now i know the brown is earth, there is a blue and a green and white? do i connect these two both to the positive terminal of the battery? im pritty sure i do but just making sure with you guys.

any help would be great

thanks

NUTTTR
16th September 2005, 09:56 AM
Hey, you will need serious help if you connect the extension cord... i had a long post, but the site crashed my computer... Go to jaycar and search for "40amp" and there is a 3-15v 40amp power supply - about $400 it will cost you, and it will not keep your system cranking all day if it's a decent one, you will need to leave it time to recharge every few hours...
Just whatever you do, DO NOT HOOK THE BATTERY TO THAT CORD...

JakeSRIT
16th September 2005, 01:18 PM
its not a 240volt outlet, it is 15amp, all the guys at the show just connect it str8 to the battery

man this is pissin me off so much, i just need to power it then ill be happy, people are telling me all sorts of different stuff,

would it work if i just connected it to my accessories and power cable for my amps? that way it would be gettin power and not using the battery?

NUTTTR
16th September 2005, 02:14 PM
if you have brown and blue and green wire then it IS 240v......15amp is the mains current... You have voltage AND current 3600w is 240v mains @ 15amp current...
You want 13.8V for the car and i'd say at least 40amp worth of power supply, 15amp at 13.8v will not run the amps and headunit at even a moderate volume.... If you have a 3 core wire with extension cord it IS 240v..... Don't believe whatever he said unless you have the power supply in your hand.... You only have 2 connections out, black and red.... blue and brown is "active" or AC current wiring.

InsaneAsylum
16th September 2005, 02:24 PM
that's what i thought, brown blue and green is AC...green is earth

i'd still like to see someone hook it up to a car... as long as it's nowhere near me or my car :D

JakeSRIT
16th September 2005, 02:43 PM
thanks guys

im glad i sorted this out, i didnt want to hurt my car.

i cant afford the $400 thing so i guess ill just have to take a battery charger with me then

is there a way you can hook a battery charger up to the car without it blowing your computer, this was my first choice of action, just leaving the charger on the battery and using the battery as the power.

i know there are some chargers that allow you to just have current flow instead of charge.

Clint
16th September 2005, 02:45 PM
yea that is 240 volt ac, 3600watt.. be very careful, and like others said do not connect it straight!! your car is 13.8 volt dc or thereabouts mine is 16.7. u definately need a transformer and at that high a current they are not cheap. depending on your system i would say u need a lot more than 40 amps. my system isnt that great, my headunit is rated at drawing 10amps, and the amp is rated to draw up to 60, with an average of 35 amps. just those 2 things adds up to 70 amps, average about 40. i assume yours is better than mine and u probably have 2 amps? plus things like interior lights, the ones used for lighting up the car, roof interior light, map lights and rear reading lights in the back seat take about 0.8 amps. any other lights take about 0.4 amps, eg the lights on the bottom of the doors. it isnt much but it adds up. the neons i got in my car are 20cm and take 0.2amps each. u could change the interior lights that arent used for reading to blue leds like i did.. looks great and they use much much less power than bulbs, they take about 0.03 amps each.

talk to the guy again about the power and ask exactly how he says to just connect the wires to the battery, maybe they have transformers with 12 volt outputs there.

JakeSRIT
16th September 2005, 03:39 PM
yeah i sent an email today to ask about it.

thanks for all your help

im sure that they would probably have some 12v transformers on the floor, but we'll see