PDA

View Full Version : Everyone Sign this Ok!!!!!

JakeSRIT
9th September 2005, 06:22 PM
Hey guys

this is a petition to low the fuel prices hit it up and sign it, never know what could happen.

http://www.petitiononline.com/afer/

180HOA
9th September 2005, 06:30 PM
No way will I sign that.

The main difference in the cost of petrol around the world comes down to tax. Here tax is about half the price. In England its a touch under 3/4, in the US it's much lower (I'm not sure of the exact percentage/s).

The reason the US still has low tax rates on petrol is primarily to protect domestic industry - much of which is already struggling to remain competitive.

At the opposite end of the scale is Europe (in a general sense) with much higher taxes aimed at reducing dependance on fossil fuels - which I think everyone agrees is something the world needs to face sooner or later. And it's working. Europe is, generally, much better positioned than Australia or the US to deal with surging fuel prices.

While some Australians think our government should take the US approach and reduce taxes to prop up local manufacturing, others are firing at them for being slack and not forcing/providing incentives to manufacturers and consumers to move away from our old ways. If you want to send the goverment a valid message, design a petition asking for reduced registration fees for efficient vehicles, subsidies to manufacturers who produce efficient products, and so on.

Government's job is to plan for the future. Reducing fuel excise will not do this. It'll only maintain our dependancy on oil. Someday we've gotta get over this. The longer we stall, the more our economy will suffer in the future.

NUTTTR
9th September 2005, 06:44 PM
I'm not signing it either... The money the fuel excise gets has to come from SOMEWHERE... higher taxes for everyone, or higher rego, or something will ALWAYS be the case.... I wouldn't want the government to have less of a reason to fix the roads than they do now, roads aren't awesome here compared to even other cities in Aus... I'd hate for the roads to be maintained less than they are now...

blackSRi
9th September 2005, 07:01 PM
The only thing I would sign is - change the way tax on fuel is calculated - so we are not paying GST on Excise (Tax) or is it the the other way 'round? otherwise that's illegal.
This petition mentions it but is not about that - it is about the "high" excise amount, not exactly the GST on Excise - silly people.

Namus
9th September 2005, 07:21 PM
no, won't sign it; re: 180HOA and NUTTTR's reasons...

MiksOpel
11th September 2005, 01:43 PM
Oil alternative cars should be on the market now, and not in a few years, (as in mass production)
These options should have been introduced many years ago.

InsaneAsylum
11th September 2005, 08:21 PM
no one gives a **** about online petitions or no fuel days.