PDA

View Full Version : Intake temperatures??

JasonGilholme
5th September 2005, 10:07 AM
Hi guys.

I was just wondering if it is possible to get a read out of your intake temperatures whilst driving. I have a corsa but i think it would be handy to know for all opels. The reason im wondering is that its coming into summer and i would like to see if intake temps make a drastic difference on performance.

I think the sensor on the intake pipe only measure the flow of the air, not its temperature. Would it be possible to move the outside temperature sensoner and mount it into the pipe so that your inatke temperature is displayed on the MFD??? Just an idea. i think i think too much

Thanks guys

Jason

Rhino
5th September 2005, 01:07 PM
That sensor does (speaking from Astra experience but I assume they are the same on the corsa) measure intake temp. It uses this info to adjust your air / fuel mixture to provide optimal detonation and keep the car cool and lubricated by adding more fuel to the mixture - going rich - if the car gets hot.

Do not move it. Car would probably go into limp mode or flash up an error on your dash anyway.

On the astra, the panel under the handbrake can be removed to reveal an I/O port. A laptop with the right connector and software (Turblue has this) can be used to monitor the intake temp, revs, speed, coolant temp... etc.

Temperature very definitely effects how the car runs... but the ECU maps in them have been designed for the range of our temperatures anyway... so are probably already running efficiently.

Not sure what you could do to get it cooler in a N/A car. De-restricting air box will increase the flow of air, but not make it cooler.

Anyone?

Vectracious
5th September 2005, 02:34 PM
Someone somewhere in the past has moved the ambient temp sensor into the air intake, but apparantly this destroys it - so my advice is to not use it for that purpose as it will definately wreck.

Bigger piping through to the air box and the intake to be somewhere near the bottom of the front bumper will get the air colder than the stock piping. Insane Asylum has done this with his Veccy - so hopefully he'll post what he's done soon.

oneightoo
5th September 2005, 03:04 PM
that might have been me your thinking of.. on my astra city i put a resistor in the plug which fools the computer into thinking the air is always a constant 3 degrees even in the hottest of summer days.. it did give it more oomph but i think prolonged use would have wrecked the engine.. it was only in there for about 2 weeks or 400kms..

InsaneAsylum
5th September 2005, 03:16 PM
you can make a intercept harness (best way to describe it) so it intercepts the 2 wires to the intake air temp sensor, then hook up a multimeter to it. you'll get voltage readings instead of temp readings but it will give you an idea.

Wattie
5th September 2005, 04:12 PM
i put a cold air intake from the lower grille in my vectra, with some 3 inch piping. and bit of silastic to seal the airbox and a couple of cable ties and hey presto!
but i did need to remove the bumper, headlight and the old air intake piping.

Gildo
5th September 2005, 06:51 PM
did this make a noticable diff?

RapidSRi
5th September 2005, 08:20 PM
It's already getting hot so I can see why you're curious

use a cheap LCD thermometer with a remote probe should work, another idea may be to check the 'pressure drop' in your intake using a manometer. This will show any levels air that isn't being made available to it due to restriction of some sort

As long as the air intake is not absorbing heat from exhaust manifold, engine or anything else in the engine bay it probly doesn't need improvement

auzvectra
5th September 2005, 08:59 PM
in other words, move ur pod!!! :P
also, moving the temp sensor further away from the motor would help, as i said sat nite, too much heat from the engine.
would sujest gettn a better heat sheild or box for ur pod, or putn it down in the guard or sumptin.

JasonGilholme
5th September 2005, 09:46 PM
yeah i have been tossin up between makin a custom box for my pod of buyin a panel filter to be used in the summer. probably gonna go for the custom box though. but all that has to wait because i might be having a major induction overhaul thanks to a nice piece of equipment that ausvectra has layin around at home ;). Gotta talk to you next saturday about that as well.

cheers