PDA

View Full Version : OPC Astra on the HSV Stand in sydney

JP Dyno
1st September 2005, 08:05 AM
According to goauto e-news, (I'd link it but i cant find a copy of the *.pdf online), the OPC Astra wil be on the HSV stand at the sydney motorshow in october.

I didnt believe it at first but its starting to sound like HSV is actually, seriously, considering importing the beast.

BassyAstra
1st September 2005, 08:13 AM
Wow!
Maybe because of the success with the car in europe. The numbers for the vxr take up are high, or so astra-sri forums say.

Mr T
1st September 2005, 08:20 AM
Maybe trying to test the publics reation, so if it is worthwhile doing ! ! !

Shaun
1st September 2005, 10:23 AM
If they bring them oz and the price is right i would buy one .

JP Dyno
1st September 2005, 10:49 AM
Im guess from most of the talk, the price will be $50-$55k, slotting neatly underneath the clubsport.

originally a holden spokesperson said they couldnt import the new OPC Astra because to be viable the price would have to be around $55k, so it kinda makes sense.

steep.....but god 176kw...*L*

oneightoo
1st September 2005, 12:25 PM
ok this is the plan to get the car here, we all have to go to the motor shows around the country,and just swamp them with interest, tell them we all want to buy one, maybe if they get interest of a few hundred people we might be able to fool them into importing it..

Red AH SRI T
1st September 2005, 12:41 PM
http://goauto.carsales.com.au/mellor/mellor.nsf/story2/CE2D185ACC003958CA25706E000621C4

thats the link to the story

auzvectra
1st September 2005, 06:12 PM
i like ur theory oneightoo!

aussie_in_london
1st September 2005, 06:51 PM
hope you guys do get your hands on one
great car to drive and the SRi T you guys will be getting in Dec
no comparisson
Mine delivery date as confirmed yesterday is the week commencing the 24th Oct, cant wait either, ordered mine over 2 months ago now.
Dealer demos due 3rd week of this month and customer deliveries due Oct.
Some 600 orders went in prior to its launch. Orders going in following July can now be waiting up to Jan for delivery, car has been very popular.

JR
1st September 2005, 07:11 PM
woohoo.........sure hope hsv go ahead with adding it 2 their line-up.

i like the idea of going 2 every motorshow around the country n showing great interest in the astra opc. that sure will make up their minds!! LOL.....nice one.

Shaun
1st September 2005, 07:33 PM
Sydney crew i think a cruise is in order to the sydney motor show to voice our view on the car being realised. I wonder if HSV do bring them will they have a HSV Build number like other HSV. If so and i bought one i wouldnt rebadge it as a OPC . I would leave it as a HSV. Im sure the HSV Badge on the Astra Would look rather mean and would give thoses WRX boys something worry about. The euro hot hatch market is really starting to hot up now. Sure the Japs started up the the hot hatch market in recent years but the Europeans have been sitting back and taking in all of whats been out there and are starting to show just what they have to offer . HSV do your self a favor. watch the movie fields of dreams and take in the hidden message. " if you build they will come"

Alfonzo
1st September 2005, 07:50 PM
Woo!

I'm actually flying down to Sydney for the day to go to the Motorshow (I think Dad's all excited about seeing the Maybach Excelero, he's the one that made the bookings) - I'll be sure to take plenty of photos of this too! :)

Shaun
1st September 2005, 07:56 PM
Woo!

I'm actually flying down to Sydney for the day to go to the Motorshow (I think Dad's all excited about seeing the Maybach Excelero, he's the one that made the bookings) - I'll be sure to take plenty of photos of this too! :)
Maybach Excelero hey... i have a pic of that in company newsletter on my desk. ( I work for Daimler Chrysler)

Make sure you take some pics of the Maybach Excelero as well..

Namus
1st September 2005, 09:05 PM
believe it when i see it...

aussie_in_london
1st September 2005, 09:53 PM
yeah guys don't rebadge this car as an opel OPC.
stick with the HSV badge, you guys will have limited numbers in Aus
they will be producing about 2500 per year in the UK and approx the same in Europe. Should be more special for you guys with a small number produced each year and not many on the road.
I will bring my VXR back to be different again lol

Namus
1st September 2005, 11:02 PM
even IF we do get it; it will be a de-tuned version anyway...

Shaun
2nd September 2005, 12:38 AM
even IF we do get it; it will be a de-tuned version anyway...

Highly doubt it will be detuned if we get it. the articale says HSV have followed the development of this car closely. They want something thats right for there market there aiming at if the bring the car in. If anything HSV May even increase power .

Namus
2nd September 2005, 08:03 AM
we shall see i guess...but past history says we'll get a down graded version...look at evo, wrx etc etc

Alfonzo
2nd September 2005, 08:09 AM
Pulsar SSS, 200sx, the list goes on...

I'm kind of excited. and with the release of the Focus ST220 around the corner, Holden would be stupid to deny Australia the opportunity to pick between one of those and a OPC/HSV edition Astra...

JP Dyno
2nd September 2005, 09:53 AM
EVO and WRX were detuned because of the low octane fuel we have in aus, I think the euro fuel is more comparable with ours, more than japan (who have 98 octane as standard unleaded). i doubt they'll detune it.

its 176kw, the normal Astra-T that holden will have at the end of the year is 147kw again. there is only 29kw difference there, any less than 25 kw difference between a stock holden and a HSV, noone will buy it. HSV knows that.

Sydney morning herald today estimates price closer to 40k... that'd be nice...but i doubt it.

oneightoo
2nd September 2005, 01:46 PM
i'd sell my left nut for one thats for sure..

Shaun
2nd September 2005, 01:56 PM
EVO and WRX were detuned because of the low octane fuel we have in aus, I think the euro fuel is more comparable with ours, more than japan (who have 98 octane as standard unleaded). i doubt they'll detune it.

its 176kw, the normal Astra-T that holden will have at the end of the year is 147kw again. there is only 29kw difference there, any less than 25 kw difference between a stock holden and a HSV, noone will buy it. HSV knows that.

Sydney morning herald today estimates price closer to 40k... that'd be nice...but i doubt it.
Im guessing around 50k including ORC cost. 45+orc sounds about right.
the VXR retails at 18,990 pounds. double that for aus dollar and you have 45k. If its 45k and they are have a HSV Build Plate then they will sell. Hot Hatch Market is well alive atm . Considering price of fuel is rising . I think it would be a Good Seller.

Shaun
2nd September 2005, 01:59 PM
anyone keen here to write a letter to HSV and sign a petition expressing intrest in the car .

Namus
2nd September 2005, 02:26 PM
i wouldn't; if ur gonna sign a petition, u'd have to be willing to buy the car

wat are u gonna say otherwise? "please build it cause we want to see it?"

they'll say: "go over to UK and if u want to see it.."

don't get me wrong, i'd love to see it over here....

JP Dyno
2nd September 2005, 03:38 PM
I dont think we really need to go that far. If you can make it go to the shows and show a bit of interest, make sure you talk to somebody at the stand about when they will be coming out and such.

The looks alone should draw a crowd, so im pretty confident

Red AH SRI T
2nd September 2005, 04:12 PM
God im going to that show, and i will pester them until they sell it here

I'll have a blue one thanks

*drools*

zoidberg
2nd September 2005, 04:44 PM
The is an article in todays drive section of the paper (think it was todays). Anyway. They are importing one for the sydney motor show to judge the publics reaction to the car, HSV have been toying with the idea for over a year. If the reaction is good they will be putting there hand up for the car.

It said that if they bring the car in they will market it as "brought to you by HSV". They wouldn't modify the car except for maybe the cars axauhst.

Another thing it said is that with such strong competetion from other hot hatch's the pricing couldn't be much higher than $40,000. If the car doesn't eventuate it would simple come down to cost. if it does, then imagine what the cost of a normal Astra SRi T would be. A few grand cheaper if you ask me.

Shaun
2nd September 2005, 04:50 PM
who says i wouldnt buy one. I talking of a petition showing interest in the car. I e-mailed wheels months ago when they romoured the car to coming to australia. They said that they were forwarding all comments from the e-mails that people sent. Seems like that may have happen or HSV have realised that there is a Strong Hot Hatch Market in Australia.

Red AH SRI T
2nd September 2005, 05:03 PM
Im guessin SRi will be aprox $35990-$37990 and the HSV shoould be around $42990 no more than $45990

$42990 puts it on par with cars like the RenaultSport Megane and the Golf GTi ect

Shaun
2nd September 2005, 05:31 PM
i think i would by pass the new SRi Turbo and head straight to a HSV Astra if they are brought out. Looks like the name could be along the lines of VXR from the Sydney Daily Telegraph. Also KW figures are up in the VXR And OPC versions if they bring them according to the Telegraph. 184kw aposted to 174kw in the VXR in the UK. (Maybe a typo )

Shaun

BassyAstra
2nd September 2005, 05:53 PM
When the Turbo G came out it was the 'car to have' of the time, even though it was only a couple years ago.
To me the new Turbo H really doesnt seem so special, the VxR version would be 'the car to have' of 2006.
Dont get me wrong though the T coming in december will be a great car.

Splat_man
2nd September 2005, 06:23 PM
55k?
jesus

why would you?
i mean you can get a golf gti for 15k less and it is only marginally slower around a track

:\

aussie_in_london
2nd September 2005, 07:35 PM
unsure why you guys would pay more for than the GTi when we are paying a grand less in the UK.
I say wait to see if you guys will get it and then the list price, at the moment its just speculations.

Red AH SRI T
3rd September 2005, 05:58 PM
55k?
jesus

why would you?
i mean you can get a golf gti for 15k less and it is only marginally slower around a track

:\

No one ever said it was gunna cost $55k

rjastra
4th September 2005, 11:34 PM
Isn't the VXR CHEAPER than a Golf Gti in the UK?

So, how could they expect to sell it for MORE here :)

Renault has already blinked and lowered the prices of the rather crap 225 to that of the golf Gti.

VW already have a 160kw version of the Gti engine available .....

01CDsedan
5th September 2005, 09:22 AM
I thought the HSV Astra was a confirmed model? This article seems to be saying that HSV haven't made up their minds yet:

http://www.smh.com.au/news/news/hsv-thinks-small/2005/09/01/1125302716286.html

BassyAstra
5th September 2005, 09:36 AM
Given the competition (Subaru WRX and Golf GTI), the HSV VXR would need to be priced at or under $40,000. "Pricing is key in this category," Payne says. "We're last into the category, we have fewer credentials than anyone [in this type of car] but we think we can get in there and stir it up."

Should HSV sell a four-cylinder car?

Email [email protected]

AS ABOVE.....!

Rhino
5th September 2005, 01:20 PM
From the Sunday Times:

http://www.roguepixel.com.au/forums/HSVAstra.jpg

oneightoo
5th September 2005, 03:01 PM
well if that article is anything to go by, i hope to see one on the streets, that will HOT!!

btm
5th September 2005, 03:13 PM
I Want One.....!!!

aussie_in_london
5th September 2005, 09:54 PM
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y179/aussie31/228551221240.jpghttp://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y179/aussie31/228551224290.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y179/aussie31/228551225230.jpghttp://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y179/aussie31/228551225540.jpg

aussie_in_london
5th September 2005, 09:55 PM
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y179/aussie31/228551223360.jpghttp://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y179/aussie31/22855122310.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y179/aussie31/228551219410.jpghttp://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y179/aussie31/228551222280.jpg

aussie_in_london
5th September 2005, 09:55 PM
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y179/aussie31/228551221530.jpghttp://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y179/aussie31/228551220510.jpg

JR
5th September 2005, 10:43 PM
coupla months......yikes.....i better start saving up for it!!!

NovalutionGSi
5th September 2005, 10:56 PM
Had a look round one yesterday at Trax at Silverstone. looks tidy and wouldnt mind having one. they even took it out on track and in standard for it Flies! leaving alot of modified cars standing!

aussie_in_london
5th September 2005, 11:23 PM
Had a look round one yesterday at Trax at Silverstone. looks tidy and wouldnt mind having one. they even took it out on track and in standard for it Flies! leaving alot of modified cars standing!

been behind the wheel of one and yeah it does fly in standard form

Shaun
6th September 2005, 12:42 AM
where did them pics come from? i so want one of them... They are an awesome looking Astra. Looks like im not going out anymore. im saving to keep my current SRi t and buy one if HSV bring them to australia.

aussie_in_london
6th September 2005, 01:05 AM
mate you guys may be waiting a while, not for Holden to make a decision but for the factory to spit em out
mine has now moved the 24th Oct to a delivery date now of the week commencing the 14th Nov, something to do with quality control bullshat. All orders have now moved to the right by up to 3 weeks. Dealer demo now mid Oct from 3rd week of Sept.
Not looking very good, my only means of transport from the end of this month will be my cannondale MB. I believe alot of cancellation of orders will go in shortly especially when alot of orders where place between April - June.

Shaun
6th September 2005, 01:55 AM
Surely Opel would have a Stock pile aready.??? if they cancel orders then the waiting time should be cut down.

Papers back here are saying if they do decide to sell the car here should be on the market with in a few months.
maybe HSV have a Shipment Allocated to them if the decide to sell them .HSV have been following the Development of the OPC closely for 18 months. which would indicate that maybe a grille and badging etc has aleady been designed and could deployed into action at any given time.

I would guess also that our SRi Turbo Astra 1st shipment has left germany and is on a ship close to oz. when they arrive they will go into holding in a hidden and disclosed holding yard somewhere until they are closer to release date.

BassyAstra
6th September 2005, 07:40 AM
The horn on the vxr and the new coupe's are different, i found out yesterday.
They are the same noise as the G but slightly LOUDER!
Woohooo :)

astro boy
6th September 2005, 10:40 AM
Another article on the subject.
http://www.drive.com.au/editorial/article.aspx?id=10252&vf=2&bg=1&pp=2
I'll take two :)

Shaun
6th September 2005, 06:55 PM
the media are doing a good job of get some intrest in the VXR. Have a look at the latest article posted and you will see you can e-mail drive.com.au about what you think of the car. i just sent one and mentioned the intrest coming from this forum.

aussie_in_london
6th September 2005, 07:30 PM
astra VXR ran a time of 6.28 sec for the 0-60 run at TRAX on the weekend
this on the standard 18's.
Impressive - YES.

pics courtesy of tjzac (astra-sport.co.uk)

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y179/aussie31/TRAX04-09-200515-52-092816x2112.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y179/aussie31/TRAX04-09-200515-52-272816x2112.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y179/aussie31/TRAX04-09-200515-52-322816x2112.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y179/aussie31/TRAX04-09-200515-52-362816x2112.jpg

aussie_in_london
6th September 2005, 07:33 PM
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y179/aussie31/redvxr_edited.jpg

aussie_in_london
6th September 2005, 07:36 PM
this is the word out now for delays in deliveries and its across the board not just in the UK

Production has begun. There were issues with colour matching of painted body parts, these did not pass very high quality control. This has been rectified and as i said production is underway.

However, there will be very very few cars ready now this month. We are still being asked to check delivery dates daily. I will talk to Stu Harris today and get a more customer oriented time line for cars that have been on order for some time. We ordered two in April. unquote

BassyAstra
6th September 2005, 10:22 PM
the media are doing a good job of get some intrest in the VXR. Have a look at the latest article posted and you will see you can e-mail drive.com.au about what you think of the car. i just sent one and mentioned the intrest coming from this forum.

Given the competition (Subaru WRX and Golf GTI), the HSV VXR would need to be priced at or under $40,000. "Pricing is key in this category," Payne says. "We're last into the category, we have fewer credentials than anyone [in this type of car] but we think we can get in there and stir it up."

Should HSV sell a four-cylinder car?

Email [email protected]

the AS ABOVE.....!
Posted on Page 4.

R3N
6th September 2005, 11:23 PM
The horn on the vxr and the new coupe's are different, i found out yesterday.
They are the same noise as the G but slightly LOUDER!
Woohooo :)

I bet that makes you horny doesn't it?

Shaun
6th September 2005, 11:49 PM
i am in the process of having the review sent to me on msn from a member of a car club. its 357mb so it wont fit on line. Cant wait to watch it. The review was carried out but top gear in the uk.

extralarge
6th September 2005, 11:55 PM
great pictures aussie in london

vxr looks excellent in red

would be great to see that car here!
and even better to drive one

aussie_in_london
7th September 2005, 12:13 AM
i am in the process of having the review sent to me on msn from a member of a car club. its 357mb so it wont fit on line. Cant wait to watch it. The review was carried out but top gear in the uk.

was nice to see the car go on the top gear segment but dont make any judgement from what Clarkson says about the car, he is self confessed Griffen badge hater, if it had a Holden badge on when he drove it, would have been at the top of his favourite list.

Shaun
7th September 2005, 12:15 AM
hey made such comments about the VXR Monaro. but then changed his mind to the end. When it came down to it they loved it

aussie_in_london
7th September 2005, 01:08 AM
and he makes the point its a Holden and refers to it as such
If you have a look at the lap times it is down as a Holden
not Vauxhall

BassyAstra
7th September 2005, 10:14 AM
I bet that makes you horny doesn't it?
Ooooowwwwwieeeeeee, in ways that u cant imagine.

Shaun
7th September 2005, 08:11 PM
Just found this article on a GM forum extracted from Topgear.co.uk written by Tom Ford. Also this month Uk CAR Magazine has a Review on the VXR. I will be buying that for sure tomorrow some time.

This new Astra VXR is the Ultimate iteration of Vauxhall's cooking hatch."

"Leg of lamb! Just clip one and we can have a bleedin' barbeque," shouts my eager passenger, as yet another dim-witted sheep wanders out in front of our alarmingly red Vauxhall Astra VXR. It's hard to cross the North Yorkshire moors at any kind of speed these days, unless you fancy the grille of your shiny new motor becoming an impromtu abbatoir. And it's all because the sheep are playing chicken.

We're forced to rock gently over the rolling crests and dips of this James Herriot landscape, only going fast and really leaning into the custom Recaro bat-wing seats when we have plenty of sightlines - oh, and extra mint sauce on board.

I'm surprised the local ewes are quite so eager to wander about in front of the car, to be blunt. This new Astra VXR is the ultimate iteration of Vauxhall's cooking hatch - the first of the Vauxhall 'base' cars to get such a treatment - and it's not exactly subtle. It's got some serious hardware too.

A 238bhp four-cylinder turbo engine with 236lb ft of torque, a chassis set-up tuned for the godawfulness of British roads, and 18-inch alloys are standard. It even has a stonking bodykit, including a very lovely centre-exit exhaust - which is just the thing to get the 'modder' generation scratching at its collective baseball cap. Yes, it's certainly a dramatic-looking thing.

But of more interest is the fact the VXR is travelling at serious velocities without any kind of particular drama. Given these badly cambered and dreadfully wobbly moorland roads, that's no mean feat.

There's not too much torque steer, surprisingly; there's very little camber-chasing given our test car's 18-inch alloys; and it has a tendency to soak up bumps rather than bounce. Go faster and the power-assisted steering is pretty accurate, the turn-in is surprisingly deft and body roll is almost non-existent.

What this equates to is road-going confidence - and buckets of it. This hottest Astra really does feel playful and calm; there's not much that's going to suddenly bite you on the arse here, even if you go pretty stupid with the entry speed.

It's one of the benefits of using torsion-bar rear suspension when everyone else has moved on to (infinitely more complicated) multi-link. It may be old tech, but Vauxhall knows how to deploy it to best effect.

The spring and damper rates are all custom-designed by people seemingly knowing what's really important: reliability of vital information to the driver and the ability to keep the bloody wheels on the floor. And the tricks Vauxhall uses aren't exactly new.

Damper and spring rates are increased, the car sits lower and the roll bars are thicker. Rebound springs were added to the dampers (like an engine spring inside the unit), which improve on-the-limit control without affecting the damper's ability to extend into potholes in the road surface.

So we're talking about turning an Astra into something you actually enjoy driving, without making it into an 1980s GTE that would give you the kind of lift-off oversteer last seen exiting stage left through a thick hedge.

There's a continual damping control (CDC) system available, but it's really not that necessary in this car. And you're really better off hitting the 'Sport' button for five seconds as soon as you get in; it switches off the traction control (ESP).

The car really doesn't need such heavy-handed interference - it copes admirably without - though you can never really knock it off totally because there's still an emergency 'crash' mode on permanently, for when the car senses impending doom. I never triggered it, so it's probably safe to assume it only really kicks in under serious, God-help-me duress.

It's not just a suspension overhall, either. The turboed two-litre from the SRi gets a bigger blower and a new injection system, as well as some tweaking to the inlet and exhaust manifolds to produce its 238bhp. It still takes a while to get the turbo-hit, but when it does, the shove is nicely linear and pretty thorough in every gear.

It should mince most current hot hatches, though it's not the most involving or emotional of engines. It doesn't sound very good on-boost, either, with induction noise resonating like a bag of gravel being dragged behind the car. It's amusing for the first five miles, irritating after that. But someone at Vauxhall obviously thinks the same: dealer-fit sports-exhaust packages are available too.

Inside it's pretty much standard Astra, but with excellent Recaro seats, a spattering of carbon-effect inserts and nice touch-point detailing. The steering wheel is extra thick and the gearknob is 'sporty' in a slightly affected way, but it all works in such a pugnacious little car.

As with the sport hatch, you'll lose small counties in the rear, gain blind spots, and get precious little reversing sight - but sacrificing that for such a lovely coupe roofline is a small hardship, don't you think?

Overall, it's a cracking little hot hatch. It's relatively cheap, carving out a shouty little niche below the too-grown-up Golf GTI, but above the Honda Civic Type-R. I reckon, though, the VXR brand has room for being more hardcore and still getting sales. Hmm... Is this Astra VXR, then, VXR enough?

Tom Ford

aussie_in_london
7th September 2005, 09:32 PM
Shaun

we have a good thread going on the VXR with planty of pics and info
www.astra-sri.co.uk
its listed under the astra H section BassyAstra is also a member
thats how i found out about this site.

Shaun
7th September 2005, 10:26 PM
thanks for the link. HSV more then 50% chance.

Shaun
7th September 2005, 10:44 PM
anyone know what the 1/4 mile time is on the VXR Or OPC ?

aussie_in_london
8th September 2005, 07:23 PM
mate we have some stats that you are after on out section dedicated to the VXR, pics and all
www.astra-sri.co.uk

you are all most welcome to have a look and there is no need to join the club
feel free to browse

Namus
9th September 2005, 07:57 AM
yeah they reckon this Astra T is gonna be one of the best of all-time....should be good to see if it lives up to expectations...

aussie_in_london
9th September 2005, 08:06 PM
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y179/aussie31/astravxr.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y179/aussie31/cimg1083eeniemeenie1rv.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y179/aussie31/Picture125.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y179/aussie31/Picture127.jpg

aussie_in_london
9th September 2005, 08:11 PM
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y179/aussie31/img048.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y179/aussie31/img040.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y179/aussie31/img049.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y179/aussie31/img039.jpg

aussie_in_london
9th September 2005, 08:21 PM
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y179/aussie31/2.jpghttp://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y179/aussie31/5.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y179/aussie31/10.jpghttp://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y179/aussie31/7.jpg

aussie_in_london
9th September 2005, 08:22 PM
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y179/aussie31/3.jpghttp://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y179/aussie31/8.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y179/aussie31/16.jpghttp://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y179/aussie31/17.jpg

aussie_in_london
9th September 2005, 08:23 PM
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y179/aussie31/14.jpghttp://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y179/aussie31/13.jpg

Enjoy

Shane

aussie_in_london
9th September 2005, 08:25 PM
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y179/aussie31/vxr220.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y179/aussie31/156375971760fb398f9a2683766b7959f61.jpg

aussie_in_london
9th September 2005, 08:27 PM
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y179/aussie31/ed5e0739.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y179/aussie31/e8badc3f.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y179/aussie31/9871046b.jpg

aussie_in_london
9th September 2005, 08:31 PM
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y179/aussie31/astVXR2.jpghttp://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y179/aussie31/astVXR5.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y179/aussie31/astVXR7.jpghttp://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y179/aussie31/astVXR6.jpg

Shaun
10th September 2005, 08:28 AM
Those pics are great. I See the Maloo is in one of them. Something VXR are considering and to see what the public reaction is im guessing ???

aussie_in_london
10th September 2005, 09:54 AM
unfortantly the Maloo wont be released in the UK, imports only. This is the only model VXR have so they use it for demos and shows, always attracts a large crowd.
This one even though it has VXR graphics and vauxhall badging, the interior seats and steering wheel still has the HSV embroiding and badge.

BassyAstra
10th September 2005, 05:36 PM
Looking good.
Id love some interior pics of the rear. :)

aussie_in_london
10th September 2005, 08:47 PM
mate once mine arrives ill take some for you
they are part leather part racing material, same as the material on the front recaros.

Shaun
10th September 2005, 09:58 PM
im hoping to get a good look at the OPC or VXR that will be at the sydney Motorshow. I wonder if i e-mail HSV and tell them im from a Opel car club and and ask if i could have a up close look of the OPC/ VXR on the stand. I might do so on monday night i think.

aussie_in_london
10th September 2005, 10:06 PM
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y179/aussie31/OllyTrax012_edited.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y179/aussie31/OllyTrax013_edited.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y179/aussie31/OllyTrax014_edited.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y179/aussie31/OllyTrax017_edited.jpg

aussie_in_london
10th September 2005, 10:10 PM
im hoping to get a good look at the OPC or VXR that will be at the sydney Motorshow. I wonder if i e-mail HSV and tell them im from a Opel car club and and ask if i could have a up close look of the OPC/ VXR on the stand. I might do so on monday night i think.

Doesnt hurt to ask
drop the line your also in a UK vauxhall club
god drop the name St Harris VXR brand manager in the UK
i know the guy (he was the one who invited me up to test dive in July)
Beg, crawl do whatever it takes lol
but make sure you take plenty of pics, i cant keep giving you all mine lol
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y179/aussie31/OllyTrax018_edited.jpg

aussie_in_london
10th September 2005, 10:12 PM
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y179/aussie31/vxrnewastra_1024x768.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y179/aussie31/Vxr3.jpg

Shaun
12th September 2005, 07:12 PM
Just sent an e-mail to HSV about the OPC / VXR Astra. Hopefully i should get a reply in a few days in response. i also gave them a link to opelaus and told them the intrest in the car was rather high .

BassyAstra
12th September 2005, 07:46 PM
I appreciate your pics aussie, they are beautiful.

aussie_in_london
13th September 2005, 02:13 AM
mate i will put up more soon

astro boy
13th September 2005, 10:43 AM
Just sent an e-mail to HSV about the OPC / VXR Astra. Hopefully i should get a reply in a few days in response. i also gave them a link to opelaus and told them the intrest in the car was rather high .
I've already asked :) They are refusing to say.

R3N
13th September 2005, 09:06 PM
Haven't been able to find any 1/4 mile times for the Astra VXR.

I've been to astra-sri.co.uk Aussie, maybe I'm not looking hard enough.

Do you think you could post the times here? I can find the 0-100km/h no probs though

imay
13th September 2005, 10:17 PM

Good luck, mate. I spent some time chatting with the HSV rep at my local dealer today. He acknowledges there has been plenty of interest and has added my name to his contact list, but he had no information other than what has been released in the media. No further advice on price, when (or if) it's going to be available . . . nothing! Because he reckons even he doesn't know yet. Only information he could really give is he estimates 2-3 cars per month maximum for SA.
Went next door to the Holden dealer and was told the Holden Astra Turbo (147 kw version) will now not be here until early 2006. That could possibly mean the HSV version will be even later than that.
Never thought I would be interested in the new Astra, but there's something about this Coupe that I find appealing. And with 184 kw, and about the same price as a Golf GTI (or $20g less than the R32!) it's created a very strong interest.

Could even be tempted to forget about the up-coming Cabrio!!!

aussie_in_london
14th September 2005, 12:47 AM
the delay of the SRiT for you guys could be due to the delay we are having with the release of the VXR. I ordered mine on the 20th June, expected delivery was the 14th Oct, then it moved to the 14th Nov and this week has moved to the 28th Nov due to a quality control issue with the color matching of body kits, production has started now but it could be the reason for your delays. My H SRi goes to the new owner next Sat so my delaer has given me a 1.2 corsa life lol, power to the max but better than nothing especially with winter coming up for us and the great English wet weather lol

aussie_in_london
14th September 2005, 01:01 AM
Haven't been able to find any 1/4 mile times for the Astra VXR.

I've been to astra-sri.co.uk Aussie, maybe I'm not looking hard enough.

Do you think you could post the times here? I can find the 0-100km/h no probs though

the say at the moment mate for standing start 1/4 mile time is high 14's
only what the media are saying as none of us have got our hands on em yet

blueraven
14th September 2005, 08:33 PM
i dunno.. i thought the 2003 sri turbo had a quarter mile time of high 14's...so i would have thought the vxr would be fair bit quicker maybe low 14s. i mean a wrx will do a 14.2 second pass with 20kw less.....

Shaun
14th September 2005, 09:53 PM
all about how they get the power to the ground.

I emailed HSV and they have no comment to make about the car being on the stand. I even qouted newpaper articles and there answer was look at our site for up coming models. i can only find there current range.

HSV are tight liped about it seems.

BassyAstra
14th September 2005, 10:27 PM
all about how they get the power to the ground.

I emailed HSV and they have no comment to make about the car being on the stand. I even qouted newpaper articles and there answer was look at our site for up coming models. i can only find there current range.

HSV are tight liped about it seems.
So they want people to show interest but then they treat you like dirt.
www.hsv.com.au is useless

aussie_in_london
14th September 2005, 10:43 PM
there is a site that claims for 1/4 mile time

Astra VXR 14.49 sec car weight 1393 kg
Astra GSi (03) 14.97 car weight 1250 kg

Golf Gti (05) 15.32 car weight 1328 kg
Civic Type-R 14.77 car weigh 1204 kg
Clio Megane Trophy 14.71 car weight 14.71 kg
Impreza WRX (03) 14.49 sec (221bhp) car weight 1395 kg

these are some car stats i found, not sure how acc they are but gives you an idea, all depending how well you can get the power down and having the right gear changes

Shaun
14th September 2005, 10:53 PM
So they want people to show interest but then they treat you like dirt.
www.hsv.com.au is useless
its a standard answer from any Manafcturer. I work for Daimler Chrysler and the e-mails i get about products coming out in europe are like 6 -12 months away from oz. We dont disclose any info to the public over the net that way. The articles in the papers would have generated after HSV realised a Press Statement. They more then likley have a OPC/ VXR Sitting somewhere in the country and its hidden away.
( And thats not any fact from HSV . Its a Guess from what i know and have learnt from working in the Motor Vehicle Industry for 7 years)

Its like when you see "spy" shots of cars in wheels. The Manafacutres do it on purpose so they can see what the publics reaction is to something.

Holden would have been thinking 18 months a head when they had the then Commodore Coupe which became the Monaro back at the 1998 Sydney Motorshow. That was to see what the reaction was. The reaction was outstanding forcing them to make the car a production model.

When the reaction is there at the motorshow and the comments and enquirys are strong and positve then HSV will make the final findings on the car.

For Papers Across the Country to print the story there must be something that drove them to it. and the Press Statement HSV Printed would have been as detailed as the atricle that we seen in the papers.

In my e-mail i wrote that the response for this site was rather well recieved. and i posted the web address. Maybe someone from HSV will take the time to read the forum.

My only suggestion is to attend the Motorshow and show your interest and ask as many questions as possible.

Shaun
19th September 2005, 05:37 PM
Small article in Motor Magazine this month about the OPC but they say Holden is looking at it not HSV like other articles and there article in the May Edtion.

Shaun
10th October 2005, 06:22 PM
Just jumped on the HSV Site to find a are you VXR enough advert pop up.
The underneath coming soon.

http://www.hsv.com.au/index_new.html

Im Guessing the VXR Astra is about 90 % confirmed for Australian Roads . when you click on the link on the advert nothing happens.

Maybe a Realise date is at the Sydney Motorshow

BassyAstra
10th October 2005, 08:06 PM
The VXr on australian roads is going ot be INSANE!
ITs going to kill a heap of other cars.

Shaun
10th October 2005, 08:49 PM
The VXR on australian roads is going ot be INSANE!
ITs going to kill a heap of other cars.
Second that.
Nothing is confirmed but with an ad like that on the site i would say an annoncement will be made soon

Red AH SRI T
11th October 2005, 07:57 AM
*screams and faints*

btm
11th October 2005, 08:42 AM
i just want one

Red AH SRI T
11th October 2005, 09:09 AM
im just gunna buy one!!!

woody
11th October 2005, 09:24 AM
I'll buy one if they can adjust the suspension to get that power to the front wheels more effectively and reduce the understeer... 176kw to the front.. hmm I can smell the burning rubber already, best set myself up another savings account... i'll call it "Woodys brake pad and tyre account!"

Shaun
11th October 2005, 10:08 AM
Dead set if this car comes i will consider selling my current SRi T and buy one.

imay
11th October 2005, 10:20 AM
Latest storey I've heard is the Holden Astra SRiT will be here early next year . . . with the HSV Astra VXR possibly/probably/hopefully here around mid year. Around the pricing of a full-house VW Golf GTI ($40-$45K + ORC) is the guesstimate from my source.

Yes, my name is on the list! I'm looking forward to seeing if it's everything the British scribes say it is.

Waiting, waiting, waiting . . .

Red AH SRI T
11th October 2005, 10:23 AM
i wonder if working for holden i'll get to drive it sometime soon?

BassyAstra
11th October 2005, 10:35 AM
*screams and faints*
haahahh!
I want one!:rolleyes:
If its going to be around 40 then why would the turbo be around 34-35?
Thats just silly to pay 5 grand more and ull get a car 100times better.

Red AH SRI T
11th October 2005, 10:54 AM
But HSV badges???

makes me wanna cry!!!

btm
11th October 2005, 11:19 AM
But HSV badges???

makes me wanna cry!!!

would you change them...?

Red AH SRI T
11th October 2005, 11:38 AM
is the pope an out dated old wanker?

zoidberg
11th October 2005, 12:31 PM
hmmm......45k + on-roads sounds alright.

Normal SRi Turbo should be a good price then. Does anybody know if the normal Holden Sri Turbo that is being released early next year will be kitted out as much as the previous model. eg, the large front brake system, aluminium hear and there????

Red AH SRI T
11th October 2005, 12:59 PM
i think there may be one on the stand at the motorshow, so go have a look :D

zoidberg
11th October 2005, 03:32 PM
hmm......and i just got given tickets from work

Red AH SRI T
11th October 2005, 03:39 PM
im trying to get tickets from work.................

BassyAstra
11th October 2005, 03:46 PM
Can u get me tix from work :) ?
Id change the HSV badges to OPC or VxR.

R3N
11th October 2005, 04:18 PM
*screams and faints*

I thought I heard a chick scream

Shaun
11th October 2005, 06:34 PM
If they are Badged as a HSV i would leave it as is. If they come with a HSV Build Number it would be worth leaving in HSV form.

R3N
11th October 2005, 06:58 PM
I WANT PICTURES!!! LOTS OF EM!!! or even a ticket up to sydney for the weekend!

Bassy, mate if you go, I hope you bring more than that phone camera of yours!

BassyAstra
11th October 2005, 07:30 PM
I will put together a personal video diary of the whole day for you.
I will also add on this window media maker diary my friends entire 6megapixel snaps of the event.
I aim to please.
Sunday will be the day.
I will jsut need someone to host the file or will send over msn.
I will also snap my car for your choppy needs.
Another note is that my camera phone is 1.03 megapixel, not to bad. :eek:

I would give you a ticket up here if i had a spare one!
How much are they return?

R3N
11th October 2005, 07:40 PM
about 400-500 return?

I'm saving up for either the H turb or the OPC/VXR

I saw a white CDX Coupe at the dealer's the other night with the 18s, bodykit and spoiler... I'm in love!

Bring on 2006!

BassyAstra
11th October 2005, 08:02 PM
about 400-500 return?

I'm saving up for either the H turb or the OPC/VXR

I saw a white CDX Coupe at the dealer's the other night with the 18s, bodykit and spoiler... I'm in love!

Bring on 2006!

They got the bodykit already\!!!!!!!!

BLOODDDY LIARSSS AT SUTTONS!

imay
11th October 2005, 09:53 PM
I probably should have mentioned that the $40-$45k that I quoted was a salesman's "I'm guessing it would be priced around" price range. This from a guy that hasn't even any idea of what price the Holden SRiT will be selling for, or when exactly they will have one of them for me to inspect.
Going on the Vauxhall and Opel prices (if you bother to dress one up on their websites: www.vauxhall.co.uk or www.opel.de) once converted to $AUD it works out to more like $50k + ORC.
Try it using as close to an Aussie spec Astra as you can make and you will see that the GBP or Euro price converted to AUD pretty well works out to what we are paying here anyway.

Probably still worth the wait though.

rjastra
11th October 2005, 09:58 PM
Going on the Vauxhall and Opel prices (if you bother to dress one up on their websites: www.vauxhall.co.uk or www.opel.de) once converted to $AUD it works out to more like $50k + ORC.

The most reliable way is to compare the cost in europe between the VXR and Golf GTi.Then extrapolate it here.

IN the uK the VXR is CHEAPER than a Golf.

Its fair to say that the VXR will probably be priced around the $40K mark.
The SRiT will probably be closer to $35K ($34999 like the Tigra perhaps)

aussie_in_london
12th October 2005, 08:02 AM
I'll buy one if they can adjust the suspension to get that power to the front wheels more effectively and reduce the understeer... 176kw to the front.. hmm I can smell the burning rubber already, best set myself up another savings account... i'll call it "Woodys brake pad and tyre account!"

mate the understeer is not even an issue in all the car mags over here
more the sensitive throttle response but thats in sports mode only and was for city driving. Sports mode open roads not congested traffic.
i have seen it run 6.2 sec 0 - 100 km and having driven one you will be very impressed if it does hit aussie streets
mine due 28th Nov, will for sure tell you all about it when i pick her up from the dealers lol

aussie_in_london
12th October 2005, 08:08 AM
haahahh!
I want one!:rolleyes:
If its going to be around 40 then why would the turbo be around 34-35?
Thats just silly to pay 5 grand more and ull get a car 100times better.

check out the prices we pay over here for the sports hatch SRi T with exterior pack (body kit and 18's) compared with the VXR
not even a grand difference (£) but a crap load in performance and style

BassyAstra
13th October 2005, 11:31 AM
http://www.hsv.com.au/news/2005/vxr.html

astra_city
13th October 2005, 12:43 PM
Just checked out all the specs on the HSV website - looks very well specced!

"With an estimated price below $43,000 this car will offer sensational value for the performance dollar.”

If they can sell it for that price, I think they could tempt mainly a lot of potential Golf GTi but also WRX buyers.

btm
13th October 2005, 12:55 PM
watch the unveiling of all the cars at the motorshow LIVE

http://carsguide.news.com.au/aims/showinteractive/webcast#

imay
13th October 2005, 01:18 PM
[QUOTE=BassyAstra]http://www.hsv.com.au/news/2005/vxr.html
QUOTE]

AND . . . http://www.hsv.com.au/index_new.asp?link=vxr/ helps make things look very positive.
I look forward to hearing what you lucky Sydneysiders have to say when you have had a decent look at it!

Red AH SRI T
13th October 2005, 03:54 PM
OMG im so excited

now who do i have to express my interest to?

BassyAstra
13th October 2005, 04:04 PM
watch the unveiling of all the cars at the motorshow LIVE

http://carsguide.news.com.au/aims/showinteractive/webcast#
Thanks BTMmm

btm
13th October 2005, 04:05 PM
no worries - i watched it practically all day

you should see the new lambo drop top....

Red AH SRI T
13th October 2005, 04:12 PM
I cant see it cause i have a Mac *runs away to cry*

BassyAstra
13th October 2005, 04:13 PM
Motor show webstream, nothing is happening its just black.
Come on flashchat.

Red AH SRI T
13th October 2005, 04:16 PM
Link Please????

aussie_in_london
14th October 2005, 07:05 AM
my new beast in approx 7 weeks

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y179/aussie31/DSC05565.jpghttp://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y179/aussie31/DSC05553.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y179/aussie31/DSC05588.jpghttp://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y179/aussie31/DSC05587.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y179/aussie31/DSC05549.jpghttp://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y179/aussie31/DSC05554.jpg

btm
14th October 2005, 08:22 AM
i hate you :D

Red AH SRI T
14th October 2005, 08:38 AM
If they do bring it to AUS i want the 18's!!!!

aussie_in_london
14th October 2005, 09:25 AM
the 18's havent been as popular over here
bling is more popular than actual handling
with the poms lol
ive opted for the 18's as both VXR & Lotus
have recommended for optimal performance
handling. The chassie design and suspension
set up by Lotus was done with the 18's in mind
19's are strictly a fashion accessary

BassyAstra
14th October 2005, 10:59 AM
Seeing as how it looks like we will get 19s as standard, i can see people going out and putting 20s on for that bit extra in the fashion department.
This will also be good for us CdX owners considering we can take any of the parts from the VxR and chuck it on our cars.
I want the VxR 19s and the kit. :)
I can imagine they will be very expensive though through hsv.

aussie_in_london
14th October 2005, 05:44 PM
in the UK you wont be able to purchase the the exact body kits for the sports hatch but VXL are releasing a range of body kits for the astra called VXR Line, (5 door as well as 3) it will be 90% exact to the the original, wont be as aggressive and deep but will stiill look the biz.

BassyAstra
14th October 2005, 06:13 PM
in the UK you wont be able to purchase the the exact body kits for the sports hatch but VXL are releasing a range of body kits for the astra called VXR Line, (5 door as well as 3) it will be 90% exact to the the original, wont be as aggressive and deep but will stiill look the biz.
Why cant you just go and buy a replacement bumper for the VxR and stick it on a 3 door GTC?

aussie_in_london
14th October 2005, 07:11 PM
might be the same as the t8 where you need some code number
or be an authorised body repairs, something on that line possibly,
only what i have heard anyway and woudlnt be cheap for you guys

Shaun
14th October 2005, 07:53 PM
its like HSV.You cant buy HSV parts with out your build number and vin number which comes on a Card. If you dont present it you dont get it. I think that its better that they dont sell the VXR bars to everyone. Not fair on those that pay all that money for something thats special then others go buy the kit for the lower models.

Go for a HBD kit. they look sweet or go for one of the aftermarket kits in the uk.

aussie_in_london
14th October 2005, 08:38 PM
the SRi T you guys will be getting comes with the body kit and 18's and really in my opinion looks the part especially the 5 spoke wheels. My wife has binned her idea of the tigra sports for a work car after seeing this pic and now it will be the 150bhp cdti sports hatch and gonna get my old man to send me over the Holden grille and badging, give it an aussie feel over here lol
so we will be a black saphire sports hatch and red vxr family

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y179/aussie31/PV__023364__.jpghttp://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y179/aussie31/PV__023363__.jpg

Shaun
14th October 2005, 10:44 PM
that looks better... i think the GTC Opel looks soft.

1OPL2C
15th October 2005, 10:10 AM
here is a pic from d motor show last nite..
http://members.optusnet.com.au/hsv2c/vxr.JPG
it looked like there wasnt much interest in the car.. every1 was crowding around the commodores and that purple old thing..

Shaun
15th October 2005, 12:24 PM
I will make up for that tomorrow and next sunday.

aussie_in_london
15th October 2005, 10:51 PM
i do like the HSV brakes and grooved discs
can't find a listing that they will be standard (grooved discs) for you guys
as ours will come only with vented discs, keep fingers crossed that the they will remain but like always the demo or concept always has extras that are not standard on the final product.

Red AH SRI T
16th October 2005, 12:30 PM
according to the guy i spoke to on the stand the car will be in showrooms in June

BassyAstra
16th October 2005, 01:59 PM
according to the guy i spoke to on the stand the car will be in showrooms in June
Hmm, how can i make 25 grand in 8 months.

Anyone got a 'get rich quick scheme' that actually WORKS? Thats legal too.

1OPL2C
16th October 2005, 02:37 PM
busking! make some astra exhuast sounds

rjastra
16th October 2005, 05:37 PM
Actually I thought the VXR looked a tad over the top. A normal SRiT looks far more stylish.

Shaun
16th October 2005, 07:28 PM
it fits in with the HSV style of car. and i think it will Sell.

180HOA
16th October 2005, 07:32 PM
Actually I thought the VXR looked a tad over the top. A normal SRiT looks far more stylish.

Agreed....

R3N
16th October 2005, 07:40 PM
Hmm, how can i make 25 grand in 8 months.

Anyone got a 'get rich quick scheme' that actually WORKS? Thats legal too.

Lotto?

Sell one of your kidneys?

aussie_in_london
17th October 2005, 08:52 AM

good luck i say mine has been on order since the 20th June and originally due late Sept, now approx delivery weeks comencing 28th Nov because of a problem with the supplier of the body kits and sills, production is due to start on the first models 31st Oct, deliveries are now for some up early next year and that just the UK alone, fingers crossed for a June delivery for you guys.