PDA

View Full Version : Wanted - info on the Vectra GSI (and other Veccies in Oz)

blackSRi
31st August 2005, 04:57 PM
I am looking for some good (internet-based) info on this vehicle (pre-new shape so pre 2004) that I can provided for a friend in Melbourne who is looking for a second-hand Vectra - 1999 -2003 (less than 90,000km and under $12K). Any help would be great (my net searches don't seem to dig up good summaries and what options/history there was in Oz).

Clint
31st August 2005, 05:31 PM
i just bought a second hand vectra and for the last 6 months have been looking but there hasnt been one single vectra for less than 12k that is newer than 99, less than 100,000k's and manual. but i did see some in other states.. :(

blackSRi
31st August 2005, 05:40 PM
I have seen a couple on drive.com.au - http://www.drive.com.au/used/search/results.aspx?from=5&m=HOLDEN%7cVECTRA&pr=%7c15000&tm=M&oe=100000

This on'es not bad but it is $13K - http://www.drive.com.au/used_cars/holden/vectra/sydney/detail.aspx?id=2268058&pg=1&pp=17&d=0&nv=1

But who knows the history of these - better to buy from an Opelaus member who cares a bit more for their car than perhaps the average punter.

Surely you could go down to Sydney to pick one up? I mean from Melb or Brisbane, it's not too far - not if you compare Perth to Melb!!!

blackSRi
1st September 2005, 12:13 AM
Hi, does anyone have some good web links...? Please...

Vectracious
1st September 2005, 12:51 AM
Go to www.drive.com.au

Search under used cars for Holden Vectra years 1997-2003

Click on one of the results that comes up

Click on specifications tab

It will bring up specs, standard options, release and discontinuation dates for the model you have chosen, and if you click on the reviews, will bring up any reviews written in the papers about it.

Thats pretty much about it in terms of info on the net.

Vectra GSi did not come to Australia - the GSi is a Vauxhall model sold in the UK only. Quickest variant that did come to australia was the V6 which I think was mainly available as an auto only - except near the end of the Vectra B's life when the 2.6L V6 was available as a manual too.

blackSRi
1st September 2005, 01:03 AM
Tah, so the gsi (as badged) I saw today in Perth (Vic Park), would have been a special import and not readily avail?

Wattie
1st September 2005, 04:05 PM
there is no such thing as a gsi vectra over here.
they called a JS or JR instead of vec b, and come as a GL or a CD cd being more optioned...

blackSRi
1st September 2005, 04:47 PM
So it could've been a real badge though (so real GSI)? i.e. a personal import?
So what was extra on the Olympic editions?
Diff between JR and JRII??

Clint
1st September 2005, 05:45 PM
yea i thought about going to sydney for one...

auzvectra
1st September 2005, 06:07 PM
also try www.holdenhistory.com
prob not as detailed, but may have a bit of useful info.

Wattie
2nd September 2005, 12:15 PM
olympic editions only had like different wheels and power windows and stuff, there was an international, which has leather interior and wood grain dash and a v6 engine.
could have been badged as a gsi like i have badged mine as opc.

Vectracious
2nd September 2005, 03:51 PM
It "may" (and I stress may) have been a real GSi which was personally imported, but more than likely, the owner put on GSi badges. What else was on the car? Big front spoiler, 17" 7 spoke mags, rear wing, lowered? Did it have the Vauxhall griffin on it? Opel didnt badge their high end vectra GSi, they badged it GTS.

Olympic editions are pretty much like the Equipe - base model with electric windows, ABS, dual airbags - so essentially a CD without the trip computer.

JR was the models between 97-99 - have a grey insert on front bumper, grey door handles, no side or rear skirts on the base models, old style headlights and tail lights (ie headlights were not the clear lense ones and the indicators in the rear were not smoked).

JS-JSII-JSIII were done from 99-03 and the minor variations are too much to mention (and even remember!) but they had two facelifts, the 2.6 V6 rather than the 2.5, in the JS, depending on which model, you either got the 2.0L 4 (in the hatch) or the 2.2L 4 - in the sedan and wagon. 2.5 V6 was available for a little bit, and they brought the 2.6 in with the JSII's.

blackSRi
3rd September 2005, 12:03 AM
It "may" (and I stress may) have been a real GSi which was personally imported, but more than likely, the owner put on GSi badges. What else was on the car? Big front spoiler, 17" 7 spoke mags, rear wing, lowered? Did it have the Vauxhall griffin on it? Opel didnt badge their high end vectra GSi, they badged it GTS.

Well I saw the Vectra from the rear and next to me (on the left of me) as I was at the lights - he went left, I went straight ahead so I didn't get to see the front grill decal or spolier.
It had a low rear spoiler, alloys (16" at least), sports mirrors and slight rear skirt extension (around the chrome tailpipe - thats what made me notice the gsi logo on the rear left).. I am good at picking Astra G differences (I have been watching them the most), rather than Vectras I am afraid.

Hey thanks for the info, very very useful.

I know each Vectra model has it's pros/cons, if you know the history of the models, which one would be recommended for least engine issues, gearbox(?) etc.
I mean what were common problems and what should one look out for or steer clear of?? (for the uninitiated potential buyer of a Vectra).

Vectracious
3rd September 2005, 03:11 PM
Honestly, I would recommend the JSIII models - which were built pretty much from late 2001 onwards. You can tell these from the JSII models (which is what I have http://members.westnet.com.au/ptzimos/ ) because they have body coloured side mouldings on all models, and treatment around the driving lights is more square - on the JSII they are more elliptical. The JSII sedans like mine were built for a time at the Elizabeth Holden Plant in SA and apparantly suffered for extremely poor quality. I say apparantly because I have only had minor problems with my car. The JSIII were all build in Belgium (I think).

The old 4 cylinder engines up to the JSII had a problem with the Idle Air Control Valve, but most of these engines where it stuffed up should have been fixed by now - Holden basically admitted there was a problem, and if your car gets it, they fix it for no charge, even if it is out of warranty (however, I don't know if this is still going on because I got mine fixed a few years ago now).

Problem is with Vectra's is that its a bit of a lottery in terms of the type of car you get. There are some JR's out there who have given their owners not one bit of trouble, while other JR's have almost sucked the life out of them. I don't think there's a difference between the hatch or sedan in terms of quality, (hatch has a bigger boot space). I don't think I've ever heard of a Vectra gearbox packing it in for no reason, and the 4 cylinder used in the Veccys has been the Family 2 engine that you can trace back to things like the Camira, so it's been around and is definately a tough engine.

Can't think of anythig else at the moment - don't heistate to ask if you've got more questions :)

blackSRi
3rd September 2005, 10:25 PM
Thanks for the help and advice, yeah it's all about car for the $$ (under $13K).
It's a shame about there being dodgy vehicles about, but like with all 2ndhand cars it can be a bit of a lottery - far easier to stay away from model/variants with known problems first. Even better is to see if an OpelAus member is looking to sell their vehicle (so it's less of a risk).
I mentioned the gearbox as I came across it on a UK website as a known issue in the JSII.
I seriously considered the new Vectra as a follow-on car from my SRi, but it was too dear on lease.

Oh well, my mate is also looking at (old 1.8) Audi's and is also considering an offer from a friend of mine at work who imports Japanese cars (to Perth,Syd,Melb) to import either a Solara or a LexusSC400 (93-94, full leather with less than 60-80,000kms), fully complianced for around the price I mentioned in previous posts.