PDA

View Full Version : Muffler Question

DirtyHarry
30th August 2005, 08:23 PM
Hey guys,

Just have a question, changing the rear muffler on the astra 1.8, would that slightly increase the fuel consumption? Since there is a reduction in back pressure.?

Cheers

1OPL2C
30th August 2005, 08:30 PM
not too sure, but proberly..

it has for me coz i love d sound and always want to give it

Namus
31st August 2005, 07:20 AM
don't think so; i have done a 'muffler-only' change on mine with no difference...nice low growl at idle...no change in fuel consump tho to answer your question

InsaneAsylum
31st August 2005, 10:23 AM
fuel consumption is proportional to right foot force. the reason why a loud exhaust uses more fuel is because your always on the 'loud' pedal

oneightoo
31st August 2005, 12:42 PM
lol good answer HAHAHAHA

DirtyHarry
31st August 2005, 05:27 PM
i though so, i was just having suspicions cause on my way back from canberra i used 6.0L/100km instead of the normal 5.7L/100, but i think that was because it was very windy at the car had to do more work.
i also though that by changing the muffler to a "free flow" one would reduce the back pressure in exhaust which would inturn increase the fuel consumption.

guess i was wrong.

InSaNe^Sna1L
31st August 2005, 06:33 PM
fuel consumption is proportional to right foot force. the reason why a loud exhaust uses more fuel is because your always on the 'loud' pedal

exactly....you technically get better fuel economy from a larger exhaust system as the rev range drops slightly with the addition system. You have to get it tuned to get the best from it, but the new system will help...especially with heavy freeway driving. And yes....the reason people get exhaust generally is for power...the louder you get, the more fuel you start using....and the more "attractive" you become so some young constables

Namus
31st August 2005, 06:48 PM
i'll stick with my muffler only thanks :)