PDA

View Full Version : braking issues

Ginge
28th August 2005, 02:19 PM
need help fast... just got my brakes checked because i was having trouble with 1 of my rear calipers. turns out its stuff and have to get a new 1. these r expensive 4 stock items. this is not my main issue.

my discs and pads r undersize. to much infact. wanted bigger 1's. i can get the same size for dba's with slots for same price as standard. would like to upgrade to turbo size. i only have a 1.8. it's got abs and track so hubs shoudn't be the issues. read some where that i can still use my original front calipers by installing some brackets to move them into possition.

got about 2 months to fix it and don't know what to do. pls help in anyway

zoidberg
28th August 2005, 04:20 PM
The rear rotors/calipers on the turbo's are the same as normal astras with ABS.
Seeing you have ABS it isn't a difficult task to increase the size of the front brakes, however im pretty sure you have to change the calipers to turbo ones as well.

Nem
28th August 2005, 04:40 PM
You'll need the carrier brackets, discs and brake pads as well as a big enough wheel for them to fit under. 17's are the minimum advised wheel size.

Vauxhall part numbers:
308mm Discs #9194477
308mm Pads #9195064
308mm Carriers are #9195063

You'll have to confirm that those discs are 4 stud and will suit your application.

Of course if you want to get it right first time and go the whole hog then you can always talk to LMF (http://www.lmfvauxhall.com/prodCatalog/default.aspx?prodId=898&deptId=189&catId=&catIndex=&deptIndex=2).

Cheers
Ben

Ginge
31st August 2005, 02:15 PM
thanks for the replys

The rear rotors/calipers on the turbo's are the same as normal astras with ABS.
Seeing you have ABS it isn't a difficult task to increase the size of the front brakes, however im pretty sure you have to change the calipers to turbo ones as well.

this is helpful. cost less there.

What are carrier brakets? do they bolt up easy? how much will the 308mm parts cost. my parent are off to england on saturday so they can pick them up for me if thats easier to get them. have 5 stud pattern so won't be a problem.

anything else about the upgrade i shold know about would be apreciated

Nem
31st August 2005, 04:48 PM
What are carrier brakets?

by installing some brackets to move them into possition.
They do exactly what you were talking about in the first post - move your calipers into the right position for the bigger sized discs.

It might be cheaper for your parents to get them from LMF and bring them back with them as you're less likely to get customs duty and you wont have to pay freight. You could probably get them cheaper from a Vauxhall dealer but it would be more messing about.