PDA

View Full Version : More Power From Astra 1.8?

bones
22nd August 2005, 07:54 PM
As I mentioned elsewhere, I am starting to seriously look at the new Astra Coupe. I'm really not in any way interested in the turbo version - it will undoubtedly be packed with a million things I don't want in order to justify a considerably larger price tag and I'm not up for the considerably higher maintenance costs associated with turbo engines. So I have decided that I really want a base-model CD Coupe. If I have to I will happily put up with 92kW but it would be nice if I could get the engine up to a similar standard to my Calibra's 2 litre.

Does anyone have any idea what kind of performance enhancement is avialable to us over here? I am thinking that a decent exhaust will probalby get me half-way there and maybe a different computer or something else comparatively non-invasive might get me the rest of the way.

BTW, I assume the AH is up for 98 octane unleaded? I can't believe the difference it makes to the Calibra.

thirteen
22nd August 2005, 07:57 PM
If your gonna get a CD with the power pack I would recommend saving a lil more and going with the CDX.. its just so much better.

the car is not overly powerful but it doesn't struggle to get to 100, but dont put wheels larger then 17's on or the thing just hates taking off from a standing start.

they are fine to run on 98 octane also. :)

ANiMOSiTY
22nd August 2005, 08:50 PM
Hey There!

Well I don't know how much power your 2.0 Cally is making, I assume stock 8v, so 95kW??

This is what I want to do to my 1.8 when I get it (getting it within the next week):-

Stage 1 Conversion:-
Performance Air Filter, with Cold-Air Intake to bumper
54mm Freeflow and branches (4-2-1).
De-Cat the exhaust (legal here :) )
Dastek or SMT-6 Piggyback Chip

That should give me another 10-15 kW depending on condition of engine.

Then I want to get the head gas-flowed and maybe a mild cam (272).

The head work should give another 8-10kW or so on top of the Stage1.

NUTTTR
22nd August 2005, 09:16 PM
Just "de-restrict" the airbox in the astra AH - the top cover is really the only pipe you need to remove (remove the cone from the top of the airbox inside it) and it makes a HUGE difference to output in the top end... Extractors (probably have to be custom made) a cam and a chip will get you 100+kw that will be nice to drive....... They aren't that slow, but definately not fast
Aaron

BassyAstra
22nd August 2005, 09:20 PM
90Kw on Regular unleaded
92kw on 98 octane unleaded
I run my 5 door on 98.

There is no power pack on the CD Model, the price is higher than the 5 door so its included as standard.
You can already buy the ecu upgrade chip from a couple of places.

BTW the engine is the same as the Astra G.

bones
22nd August 2005, 09:51 PM
Well I don't know how much power your 2.0 Cally is making, I assume stock 8v, so 95kW??
Please, stock is 110kW in the manual and the Calibra is lighter. But 100kW will be plenty, methinks. Maybe a mild cam somewhere down the line but air filter, exhaust and a piggy-back chip sounds like a good first effort. Thanks for the info and the quick replies.

ANiMOSiTY
22nd August 2005, 10:00 PM
Ok so is your cally 16v then??
Our stock SA 8v is 95kW and 16v is 115kW.

bones
22nd August 2005, 10:02 PM
If your gonna get a CD with the power pack I would recommend saving a lil more and going with the CDX.. its just so much better.:)
Better how? None of the extra stuff listed appeals to me at all.

bones
22nd August 2005, 10:22 PM
Ok so is your cally 16v then??
Our stock SA 8v is 95kW and 16v is 115kW.
The auto is the 8-valve and the manual comes with the 16 valve which is definitely 110kW, not 115kW. Check the spec's here:
http://www.drive.com.au/used/search/detail.aspx?id=1924000&pg=1&pp=0&d=0&nv=1&mode=Specs

BTW, what is the "Power Pack"? I don't see it mentioned anywhere on Holden's site.

Dave
22nd August 2005, 10:45 PM
hmmm some head work and a chunky cam sounds good to me, how much, I think i may serously consider it........the car only needs just that little bit more to kill 6's at the lights, its already a very close encounter...........once they get moveing there extra 2 cycl start slowly pulling them ahead, by about 120 there only just infront, so a cam extracters and head work would boost it to what oposed to its stock 92? btw these 6's push bout 130-160 stock so she's doin extreemly well so far.

ANiMOSiTY
22nd August 2005, 11:46 PM
The auto is the 8-valve and the manual comes with the 16 valve which is definitely 110kW, not 115kW. Check the spec's here:
http://www.drive.com.au/used/search/detail.aspx?id=1924000&pg=1&pp=0&d=0&nv=1&mode=Specs

Ya I was talking about our SA ones.
In SA the 16v is 110kW, and the 8v is 95kW.

bones
23rd August 2005, 09:55 AM
Why would they be different for SA? Even if the laws were different, I can't imagine any manufacturer seeing any commercial advantage in selling different versions, they'd just sell one version that complied everywhere.

bones
23rd August 2005, 10:24 AM
I knew I had read about it recently and finally found it this morning - does anyone have any inside information about the new Opel VVT 1.8? There is something about it in the current Wheels, saying it will debut in the new Zafira in Europe this year. Its a claimed 103kW / 175Nm, with 90% of it available from 2200rpm. It is lighter than the current engine and there is a vague hint at the possibility of it being available here next year. it would certainly make the AH Astra more competitive against strong rivals like Mazda3 so hopefully its a no-brainer decision for Holden and a reason to hang about for 6 months or so and see what transpires. Hopefully by then they will introduce some colours that I actually might like, too.

ANiMOSiTY
23rd August 2005, 04:36 PM
Actually some SA Opels are very different to overseas equivalents.

NUTTTR
23rd August 2005, 06:20 PM
Why would they be different for SA? Even if the laws were different, I can't imagine any manufacturer seeing any commercial advantage in selling different versions, they'd just sell one version that complied everywhere.

SA = South Africa - There's different cars EVERYWHERE! Bigger countries (population wise) usually have bigger range and also have stricter emissions...

rjastra
23rd August 2005, 06:28 PM
I think you will find that the SA versions use the old 2L engine that use to be fitted to the Vectra and Camira!!

ANiMOSiTY
23rd August 2005, 06:40 PM
The 16v Calibra had the C20XE 115kW engine, and the 8v had the C20NE.

Namus
23rd August 2005, 07:40 PM
My 2.5c:

-powerchip
-exhaust
-head and cam work
-run it on PULP
-whack some Opel badges on (guaranteed extra 2-5kW)

ANiMOSiTY
23rd August 2005, 07:46 PM
-run it on PULP
-whack some Opel badges on (guaranteed extra 2-5kW)

Pulp??

Opel badges add 2.5kW!! LOL!!

aussie_in_london
23rd August 2005, 11:13 PM
I knew I had read about it recently and finally found it this morning - does anyone have any inside information about the new Opel VVT 1.8? There is something about it in the current Wheels, saying it will debut in the new Zafira in Europe this year. Its a claimed 103kW / 175Nm, with 90% of it available from 2200rpm. It is lighter than the current engine and there is a vague hint at the possibility of it being available here next year. it would certainly make the AH Astra more competitive against strong rivals like Mazda3 so hopefully its a no-brainer decision for Holden and a reason to hang about for 6 months or so and see what transpires. Hopefully by then they will introduce some colours that I actually might like, too.

It will be 143bhp and is coming out in the zafira soon and will replace all the 1.8's across the range in the near future, i have been told possibly early to mid next year for th astra H

aussie_in_london
23rd August 2005, 11:17 PM
Pulp??

Opel badges add 2.5kW!! LOL!!

premium unleaded petrol 96 or 7 octane level i think, havent been home for a few years but i know its lower than what the octane level is in the UK and not much more than normal unleaded 95

rjastra
24th August 2005, 10:47 AM
premium unleaded petrol 96 or 7 octane level i think, havent been home for a few years but i know its lower than what the octane level is in the UK and not much more than normal unleaded 95

LOL.... PULP = 95RON
and we also get 98RON as well ... just like the UK. ;)

bones
24th August 2005, 12:54 PM
When you see power in BHP its really quite scary. My RX-2 pumped out 130BHP, same as my Dad's 202 Kingswood, and it was a rocket. I used to overtake cop cars at 110mph in that thing and cruise on 100mph all day. Now we're looking at 143BHP for a bog-standard medium car. I realise we only get the bigger engines over here but its still amazing how far its all come. I read in the paper somewhere, when the BA Falcon was released, that it had double the power of a 1987 Falcon. That's standard power doubled in 15 years. IF its 103kW = 143BHP then that makes the current 1.8 about 127 which is not too shy of my old RX-2. I can't remember what the RX weighed though, although I do remember lifting the engine off the ground and plonking it into the boot of Dad's car all by myself, so the all-up weight was probably well down the scale in comparison to modern cars.
Anyway, I think I've pretty much talked myself into waiting for the new engine to arrive down here. after all, its not like I'm keen to get rid of my Calibra, the ol' girl's got a few good years left in her yet.

bones
24th August 2005, 12:57 PM
SA = South Africa - There's different cars EVERYWHERE! Bigger countries (population wise) usually have bigger range and also have stricter emissions...
Absolutely! When the Calibra first arrived here it had the same suspension set-up as the German ones and was hopeless. In '94, I think, they finally released one with suspension tuned for local conditions which made a huge difference. Almost all cars sold here are set-up for our conditions, even Daewoos.

thirteen
24th August 2005, 02:32 PM

BTW, what is the "Power Pack"? I don't see it mentioned anywhere on Holden's site.

dunno if they offer it on the coupe's.. but the powerpack on teh 4door is for the cd model and just gives u rear power windows and a few other things.

aussie_in_london
24th August 2005, 05:45 PM
LOL.... PULP = 95RON
and we also get 98RON as well ... just like the UK. ;)

normal unleaded in Aus is 91? UK it is 95.

bones
25th August 2005, 11:04 AM
Correct! But BP and Caltex now offer 3 different strengths of unleaded - 91, 95 & 98. Dunno about the others but they don't advertise it if they do so its their loss.

POW00A
26th August 2005, 07:16 PM
Hey Namus,

How much power you reckon your AStra is putting out with that work you have done??????

Dave
27th August 2005, 04:17 AM
i would still like an estimat on parts and labor here ppl.............

Namus
27th August 2005, 10:58 AM
Hey Namus,

How much power you reckon your AStra is putting out with that work you have done??????

wat's that sposed to mean? if that was meant to be a snide comment i'll respond with:

for the millionth time, at no point have I said that my car is for power or fast and that I only wanted my car to look good (aesthetics);

if i wanted a fast car, i would have bought the skyline that i had a chance to (insurance was ridiculous)....

if u can find one comment I've made in this (or any other forum) where I've 'bragged' about how much power I have, I"ll GIVE u my car for FREE...otherwise, keep ur trap shut; i don't see ur car anywhere anyway mate...least I have something to show; grow up mate;

p.s. sorry for the rant (other ppl's_

zoidberg
27th August 2005, 01:21 PM
dont put wheels larger then 17's on or the thing just hates taking off from a standing start.

This is true if you dont buy smart and buy heavy wheels. If you do some research and buy a light wheel you will overcome this problem. Light wheels dosn't nessaceraily mean weak either

POW00A
27th August 2005, 03:33 PM
Relax dude, i was just curious and i was thinking about doing those things to my astra and i was just wondering if it was worth it, and if its for looks its not that crash hot

Namus
27th August 2005, 05:12 PM
Relax dude, i was just curious and i was thinking about doing those things to my astra and i was just wondering if it was worth it, and if its for looks its not that crash hot

champ, they're called smilies; use them.

and beauty is in the eye of the beholder..

POW00A
29th August 2005, 12:42 PM
Has any one done extractors back exhaust system, if so how much power did you get out of it

Namus
29th August 2005, 07:02 PM
Has any one done extractors back exhaust system, if so how much power did you get out of it

start a new thread for this one champ

Mr Cali
1st September 2005, 10:08 AM
I have a 16v Cali and drive an Astra G pretty much everyday, to be honest the Astra has nothing compared to the Calibra in power and acceleration. If you get the new Astra with the same engine u will be diappointed in performance. Why not keep the Cali, looks miles better then any Astra ;)