PDA

View Full Version : Car alarms - What ones?

NUTTTR
20th August 2005, 04:34 PM
OK - I know this has been done before, but i am looking for an alarm to replace an existing one that i'm not that happy with....

I'd like a good quality one, that doesn't cost much... This may sound silly, but in reality all it needs is black wiring and the choice of using it's own remotes or using the astra factory remote.

I want it to link to doors, boot, bonnet, siren is easily available as an extra in whatever design/specs i want...
I was looking at quiktrak style systems, but the initial purchase price puts me off them... The "GSM" tracking style ones seem like a good idea but again, fairly pricy to start... If it works with the stock astra remote, then all it really has to do is protect the doors, boot, etc as immobiliser is already all built into the astra...

Anyone used any good quality/cheaper ones? I don't want one that tells me if a door is open, etc...

Aaron

Namus
20th August 2005, 08:15 PM
if u gave us a price range mate, that may help...'cheaper' ones doesn't really narrow it..

the GPS/tracking style ones are expensive (for good reason mind you); u have to weigh up whether u really need it....i thought about getting one of those, but then thought "nobody steals astras' and got a Mongoose/Viper alarm hooked up to the immobiliser already on the car...cost about $300 i think...

boot, windows, bonnet, doors all wired up; plus one or two "extra' goodies that I'm not gonna disclose...point is, it does the job, makes the 'cool' beep-beep noise; that's all that matters...

unless u've got money to burn, don't bother on a GPS/tracking system...waste of money IMO; nobody steals astras (compared to other cars) and the money saved is best spent elsewhere (like on maintenance etc)

Namus
20th August 2005, 08:16 PM
oh, and i'm still working off the standard remote

MiksOpel
21st August 2005, 08:39 PM
I bought a pager with my alarm, only 80$ extra, just a standard one that makes noice when somethings not right.
Car Audio Excellence didn't do a good job on my astra, they forgot to wire up the boot and poor worksmanship on the wires. (they arnt secured properly, just lying around).
That was the blacktown store.

Nem
22nd August 2005, 11:28 AM
Rhino do an upgrade system. Nothing fancy but does have a window closure system as an option and uses the original central locking button. Connects to bonnet, boot, battery failure etc.

Search the ICE forum I guess.

BassyAstra
22nd August 2005, 01:37 PM
Search the ICE forum I guess.
ICE forum got deleated.

NUTTTR
22nd August 2005, 05:13 PM
ah cool i'll have to check out rhino, i'm not that keen on their stuff (used it a few times before) but if it's not too exxy and works OK then it's a go-er :)
I've got a lot of re-wiring to do for some new planned things so going to put it all in when i have the car apart :)

Thanks
Aaron

PerthSXi
22nd August 2005, 07:40 PM
i got a Custodian A100s ( or something like that ) upgrade on my astra which uses the key and has door, bonnet, boot and glass break sensor with back up battery. All up it cost me $225.

Namus
23rd August 2005, 07:45 PM
can also try PM'ing Chris R off this forum...he's pretty good

Clint
25th August 2005, 07:46 PM
total closure systems are very simple to make for opels, only needs a relay, capacitor and a diode, costs les than $5. tomorrow in getting my new car :) yay! and soon after will make one for the new car. will make a how to on it as its so simple and anyone can do it