PDA

View Full Version : Astra H Coupe Deal- What do you think.

BassyAstra
14th August 2005, 02:40 PM
Went to the dealer to sort out a deal:

Trade in my Black H - CD model, manual, with optional pack (alloys, cruise control, rear auto windows), also has the bullshi*t Defense pack which costs like 3grand.
6 year warranty, 3 years free servicing, 13,000km on the clock, 9 months old, perfect condition.

In used cars there is currently one H which got sold the 2nd day it was on the lot.

CDX Coupe Selling price: $30120 (Manual, WITH NO EXTRAS)
Trade in figure: $19,000

Difference is $11,120.

Having said that, that was the unnegotiated difference.
Straight away a discount was brought down to $9220.

After some serious negotation the price remains at $9220.

I was unhappy so i walked.

Also please note my family has bought 4 cars in 12 months from the same guy, who is the boss.

What do you think?

aussie_in_london
15th August 2005, 09:05 AM
mate wait for the SRi turbo and try again

BassyAstra
15th August 2005, 11:46 AM
mate wait for the SRi turbo and try again

The depreciation has been astonishing, also, by early next year i would be only 3 months into renewed insurance/registration.

rjastra
15th August 2005, 11:47 AM
After some serious negotation the price remains at $9220.
I was unhappy so i walked.

Well, what did you want as a trade?

Looks to me like they did you a pretty good deal.
They are discounting AStra Hs at the moment.
The coupe is new and you are up speccing from the CD to CDX.

macquered
15th August 2005, 12:22 PM
It sounds like a pretty good deal to me. 19K for a car that retails for 21.9K is quite a nice offer.

I would have thought the wholesale value on a car like yours is 15-16K

zoidberg
15th August 2005, 12:44 PM
Sounds like a good deal to me. It's a model that has only JUST come out, I work in the motor industry (for Lexus), it doesn't matter wether its Lexus, BMW, Holden or ford.....if its a new model NO dealer will discount the car as much as they can, They are simply not aloud to by the powers that be.

BTW...what on earth is the defence pack????

rjastra
15th August 2005, 01:56 PM
BTW...what on earth is the defence pack????

Let me guess...

Paint protection, rust proofing, fabric protection...

The reason he was getting good deal originally was he was getting screwed with the protection pack

BassyAstra
15th August 2005, 02:54 PM
Let me guess...

Paint protection, rust proofing, fabric protection...

The reason he was getting good deal originally was he was getting screwed with the protection pack

You are correct but we didnt pay for it and nor would i ever pay for it.

We also bought my car cheaper than retail, with a large discount, including those things before it came out.

Thus my hesitation for their deal.

Namus
15th August 2005, 02:54 PM
the deal doesn't sound half bad to me

zoidberg
15th August 2005, 05:21 PM
Paint and leather protection is bull....its costs the dealer about 200 bucks

Red AH SRI T
15th August 2005, 08:58 PM
Oh my god!

What is with people who as soon as a new model comes out expect thousands of dollars of discount

Your all ****ing wankers.

sorry, i sell cars and im sick off all the tools who have been coming in, and even after the car has only been out for just over a week are expecting huge discounts.

Do u know how ****ing hard it is to get these cars?

Why would we want to discount them when we have plenty of ppl willing to pay a fair amount for them?

You got a good deal, take it and stop your whinging

BassyAstra
15th August 2005, 09:39 PM
Im was not whining, im asking for peoples opinions.

They have a lot full of coupes, probably 30 or more.
Also they give a discount for a returning customer, which got a discount before in which case the car was not even at the dealership.

I also believe there is no harm in trying to get the best deal, especially by a teenage student who cant work long hours.

Thanks for your opinions.

Rhino
16th August 2005, 01:03 AM
So, if you (Black AH CDX) wanted to go and buy a stereo that was brand new, would you just walk in and pay the ticket price?

My guess is no. You'd shop around and haggle to get the best deal. Regardless of the fact that it is a new model.

So why should you be treated any differently because you sell something bigger.

You're a salesman, if you don't like the game, don't play!

Have some respect for our members and be a bit more mature with your posts please.

R3N
16th August 2005, 11:52 AM
I saw an Astra H Coupe at uni yesterday, it looked sexc! It was a greyish colour

Get it! or get the SRi-T :D

zoidberg
16th August 2005, 02:14 PM
Personaly i think that your getting a good deal, especially seeing that the coupe has only been out for like a week.

Anyway, if it was me and i had no inclonation to egt the turbo i'd snap that deal up right now, but seeing im after the turbo i'm deffinatly going to wait. The coupe is heavier than the TS, same 1.8L, same gear box

BassyAstra
16th August 2005, 04:57 PM
I would love the Turbo but it will deffinetly be out of my price range :(
Thanks for your opinions guys & R3N.

Red AH SRI T
18th August 2005, 09:00 AM
So, if you (Black AH CDX) wanted to go and buy a stereo that was brand new, would you just walk in and pay the ticket price?

My guess is no. You'd shop around and haggle to get the best deal. Regardless of the fact that it is a new model.

So why should you be treated any differently because you sell something bigger.

You're a salesman, if you don't like the game, don't play!

Have some respect for our members and be a bit more mature with your posts please.

What i was objecting to was ppl who ask for THOUSANDS of dollars of discount of a brand new model, and expect it as their godgiven right.

Of course i would shop around, but i would be realistic about what discount to expect.

One person wanted a $3000 discount straight away!
Sure, that *MAY* happen one day, but not 2 weeks after the car is released and there is sweet **** all stock

zoidberg
18th August 2005, 03:18 PM
one sydney dealer has 30 instock, maybe "temporarily" as either sold/demo's so other dealer'c can't see what stock they actually have

BassyAstra
18th August 2005, 07:26 PM
They are warehousing them and when one is sold at another suttons then they'll transport it to them.
I must say though that the blue Coupe looks different to the blue 4 door, more different than the other colours.

ultim8DTM5
18th August 2005, 08:10 PM
Only haggle harder if you are spending more on the stereo :D

RK
19th August 2005, 07:54 AM
Only haggle harder if you are spending more on the stereo :D

hahahahahaha

Red AH SRI T
19th August 2005, 08:39 AM
I agree bassy, the Breeze blue coupe looks way better than the breeze blue hatch

BassyAstra
22nd August 2005, 04:12 PM
Ive just had a quote for a drive away Coupe cdx for $27100 from another dealership.

astralavista
22nd August 2005, 06:09 PM
Bassy, Mate....Put your hand on your wallet and not the other thing.
The trade in looks pretty good in fact. The second drive away looks a great deal. See if you can combine those......or sell privately.

I personally think ....Take your time mate...
1. Put your car on the private market at a price you are happy with and don't budge much.
2. WAIT till the Turbo comes out....Get some more enjoyment for your dollars in the existing Astra and
3. Start saving.
4. Make friends with someone at Holden and take advantage of their employee plan where each employee gets a $2000 discount voucher to give away.

Set your goal where you want to be, enjoy what you have and can afford in the mean time. The rush of new doesn't last long, costs you heaps and really should be worth it.

Oh and don't listen too much to old farts and people with vested interests....

R3N
22nd August 2005, 06:18 PM
The trade in looks pretty good in fact. The second drive away looks a great deal. See if you can combine those......or sell privately.

I personally think ....Take your time mate...
1. Put your car on the private market at a price you are happy with and don't budge much.
2. WAIT till the Turbo comes out....Get some more enjoyment for your dollars in the existing Astra and
3. Start saving.
4. Make friends with someone at Holden and take advantage of their employee plan where each employee gets a $2000 discount voucher to give away.

Set your goal where you want to be, enjoy what you have and can afford in the mean time. The rush of new doesn't last long, costs you heaps and really should be worth it.

Oh and don't listen too much to old farts and people with vested interests....

Listen to the man with the experience...

Wait for the turbo, you must!

BassyAstra
22nd August 2005, 07:42 PM
My hands are on my other thing... :p :rolleyes:

Your tips are great.

I also didnt know an employee gets a $2000 discount, thats awsome!

I am actually friends with a guy who works in used cars.
The bast*rd hasnt done sh*t for me, he wont be my "friend" any longer. :mad:

Listen to the man with the experience...

Wait for the turbo, you must!
I will take your advice over anybody elses REN. ;)

NUTTTR
22nd August 2005, 09:25 PM
You may find a driveaway deal for 27k.......
But i'd be surprised if they even gave you 16k for the car trade in.....
$19k for trade-in is absolutely excellent IMHO!!!
I wouldn't have walked away from that......
You might have paid extra for auto rear windows, etc, etc, etc.... come trade in that gets you about $20 extra trade in value, because if it didn't have it, then the dealer just would move a little more on the price for the buyer... Realistically considering the price of the base CD now is cheap, has mags, etc, driveaway deals.... for (as someone else said) about $22k, well 19 is a big trade in...
But why bother upgrading? It's harder to see out the windows... but you are paying a premium to have the coupe... you could always wait a year and sell yours and buy a coupe second hand (price will probably still be high).....
Compared to current offers paying 30k for a 3 door over your 4 door (as you said 9+k diff!) is just silly....There's no point... Buy a second car for running around in, or a 4wd to off road, or better still, invest the 9+k and with the extra you make off the money buy a turbo in a year.......
I'm starting to sound old now......!

Aaron

180HOA
23rd August 2005, 02:21 PM
Ive just had a quote for a drive away Coupe cdx for $27100 from another dealership.

Is it an actual quote, or is it a price written on the back of a business card? Does it specify colour or any accessories? Did you mention you had a trade-in? Did the salesperson say something like "What if I could do it for $27,100?"

When you're trading in a car, focusing on the trade price or the price of the new car is completely irrelevant, because they can both be 'adjusted' together to make the buyer happiest. You need to look at the actual changeover price.

The thing is, the salespeople you're talking to probably realise that you're not likely to buy a car in the near future. They get pretty good at picking that, and aren't going to get serious about talking dollars until you're actually ready to buy. This might explain why you're getting figures thrown at you that are all over the place...

astralavista
23rd August 2005, 11:39 PM
Yup I believe Holden are using their employees as an extended sales force in order to get their numbers up this year. They want to push Toyota and combat Fords new tweaks and models and keep em down plus offset any fuel price implications for new car sales.

Each employee will get the option of two car discount vouchers to use with family and friends or themselves.

They negotiate with dealer best price then drop a factory discount voucher on em....which makes no difference to the dealer. I reckon it will kick in in Oct.

R3N
24th August 2005, 02:49 AM
Hold out for the turbo dude, if you really want it, then wait for it. It'll be so worth it. In the mean time, try to earn some extra cash, invest in short term projects, (some have awesome returns). You'll be brrrmmmm-tish'ing in no time bro. ;)