PDA

View Full Version : Quietening my Exhaust

lowey22
10th August 2005, 01:10 PM
I've got a 2inch exhaust on my 1.8L Astra. It's too loud for my liking, I was wondering (as I have next to no knowledge about exhausts) what can be done to make it quieter and how much does it cost?

Thanks!

CAL.16V
10th August 2005, 01:20 PM
resonator..about $100-$150 fitted and it should sound better too or you can get a different muffler which is same price, thats if you have a centre muffler...try going to a place that will mix and match with you heariing what you want on the car....

InsaneAsylum
10th August 2005, 01:48 PM
put a resonator in there somewhere, probably cost around $60 or less supply and fit

lowey22
10th August 2005, 02:02 PM
sounds like a resonator is the go then. am proabably going to get a chip in the next month or so. i might wait until that is in then go to an exhaust place and see what they have and how they sound.

1OPL2C
10th August 2005, 04:33 PM
my exhuast came with a silencer.. wen i use it the sound goes away heaps, almost stock sounding

azza_13
10th August 2005, 05:52 PM
I have a 2inch, with a sport muffler at the rear and a resonator in the middle, sounds great not too load, good note, and stock quiteness on the highway, (ie. when crusing at a set speed.)

let us know how the chip goes, what sort u looking at?

CJB
10th August 2005, 07:54 PM
I have a 2inch, with a sport muffler at the rear and a resonator in the middle, sounds great not too load, good note, and stock quiteness on the highway, (ie. when crusing at a set speed.)

let us know how the chip goes, what sort u looking at?

he he he - I had my stock resonator taken out, and STILL want it louder!!!

azza_13
10th August 2005, 09:47 PM
ive got a hotdog, replaced my stock resinator. mines as loud as yours kyle anyway cause of the 1.8. lol

CJB
10th August 2005, 10:18 PM
True that!!!

so we have the same thing then?

azza_13
10th August 2005, 10:24 PM
must do, cool, they sounded very similat the other day. i just installed underbody neons, got them cheap off a mate, they look pretty cool. put one on my rear parcel shelf aswell. just got to keep away from the cops. lol

Dave
10th August 2005, 11:13 PM
if its to loud your to old :P

Gildo
11th August 2005, 12:57 AM
if its to loud your to old
well said, i have a 1.8L sri , with no resonator at all and a xforce muffler....veryy loud, and sounds sweeettt.
as dave said, if its to loud your to old!!!!

lowey22
11th August 2005, 08:58 AM
chip - getting a powerchip

well said, i have a 1.8L sri , with no resonator at all and a xforce muffler....veryy loud, and sounds sweeettt.

ha ha! well, mine is a very low note and at times it just sounds like a deep loud drone. i dont mind loud, just want it too sound like its got more balls (which the chip might do) and not sound like its making sound for the hell of it, rather than when im actually giving it some.

azza_13
11th August 2005, 04:31 PM
chip - getting a powerchip

ha ha! well, mine is a very low note and at times it just sounds like a deep loud drone. i dont mind loud, just want it too sound like its got more balls (which the chip might do) and not sound like its making sound for the hell of it, rather than when im actually giving it some.if its droning u most probably dont a have a resonator on it,

ive herd 1.8 without resinators and yes i agree they sound awsome on the outside, but wouldnt want to b driving it. mind u my sub would drown it out anyway. lol, and noise just creates unwanted attention, you dont need noise to have a good exhaust, suble sweet sounding note is the way, one that is only herd loud when your punching it. thats my speel.
:D

Red AH SRI T
11th August 2005, 06:12 PM
Why don't you just shove some steel wool up your muffler?

LOL

low astra
11th August 2005, 11:30 PM
and realy you dant wanna be drowning out your exhaust with bass on long trips, imagine a 10hr drive, having to have ya system cranked so you dont get the shits with your exhaust