PDA

View Full Version : My morning behind the wheel of the Astra VXR

Aussie-in-London
5th August 2005, 09:55 PM
And what more can i say
"don't believe everything you read and see from the media, experience it for yourself" this car is bloody amazing.
Early last week i was contacted by VXR brands manager Stuart Harris who invited me up to vauxhall head office here in the UK for a test drive in the VXR, mind you is not release until the 3rd week of Sept for dealer demos and early Oct for customer deliveries, so yep i jumped at the chance and yesterday morning i was buzzing around in the new astra vxr.
What a drive, handles all that you throw at it with a dream, traction control on and off, minimal torque steer and turbo lag, second throws u back into the nicely wrapped recaros. I was first taken out by one of the vxr development team out into there testing ground (farming area with roads just wider than the car with all types of tarmac conditions, ridgers, bumps, bends, hills and the works, now if you like the feel of power below your butt this thing is mad, it handles everything that we could propell at it in high speed it handle likea dream. I then had the pleasure to drive for 40 min back to the head office on all types of road (motorway, city and back streets, even on the motorway i had put it into 6th at 40 mph and had hit 100 within no time and actually though i was in 4th as it still had power to give, one thing i was most impressed with was the braking, nice feedback and does not jot you but stops very comfortably. This car drives amazingly, is comfortable and i was disapointed when i got back into my astra H SRi for the drive back home. What a great experience i was lucky to have had. Another nice feature i like was when you put your key in the ignition the gauges move as if to calibrate as per some high performance cars.
Some nice contacts i now have in vxl/vxr
photos to follow

Opel_Cali_91
6th August 2005, 10:42 AM
....DAMN.....YOU hehe, shame were not gunna see this beast of motoring brilliance

Namus
6th August 2005, 12:08 PM
jealously wouldn't be a strong enough word...

blueraven
6th August 2005, 08:18 PM
meh.. just buy and astra t...and spend 10k on it :P

that would prolly be the difference in price if they did bring it over.

zoidberg
12th August 2005, 12:25 PM
I hope we get them here in Aus but i reckon the cost will be huge

aussie_in_london
12th August 2005, 06:49 PM
what is the price of the mk 5 golf gti in Aus as the vxr is £1000 cheaper over here

Shaun
12th August 2005, 10:02 PM
around 40k +orc i think

Shaun
12th August 2005, 10:10 PM
I so hope they bring them to oz. I would buy one with in a heart beat

aussie_in_london
13th August 2005, 10:10 PM
around 40k +orc i think

well if thats the price of the GTi i cant see the VXR being more in price than that seeing its a £1k cheaper over here.
Keep your fingers crossed fellas because it is a great car to drive torque steer and all (very minimal torques steer at that) and like i have said in the pass if you seen the episode on Top Gear don't be put off by Clarkson and the Stig as neither can drive fwd cars and it being a vxl was already doomed before Clarkson got in it. If its not over the £30 plus grand price range it don't have much chance.
Quicker around the track though than the R32 & Ford RS (both awd cars)
The new Golf R32 out later this year has the same top speed and 0-100 time as the vxr and thats from a v6 awd, so the VXR can't be all that bad can it now.

rjastra
14th August 2005, 06:41 PM
if you seen the episode on Top Gear don't be put off by Clarkson and the Stig as neither can drive fwd cars and it being a vxl was already doomed before Clarkson got in it.

LOL. what a heap of sh*t.... The Renault Megane Trophy lapped the course quicker than the VXR. And Clarkson LOVES the Clio RS. So all this BULLSH*T about them not being able to drive FWD is crap.

The r32 is AWD... but it is heavy and based on the old Golf chassis. The FOcus RS was FWD.

The problem was caused by Vauxhall... they let them out on the track witha supposedly unsorted car... No ones fault but their own.....

aussie_in_london
15th August 2005, 06:59 AM
Now everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but
all i can say is make yours on the VXR once you have driven one
if you ever get the chance.
I noticed minimal torque or understeer steer at 115 mph as indicated on TG and that was on vauxhall testing ground. The Megane was def outmatched on the 1/4 run (and Nurburgring race track in Germany) by the VXR and thats how most will push it to its limits, traffic light runs. The vehicle set up used by the Stig was running on the SRi sports hatch set up not the Lotus developed chassie and suspension used for the 1/4 run (TG had switched the vehicles for the 2 segments, and i don't believe this was by accident if Clarkson had anything to do with it), at the time of recording (remember this program is not live) there was only 2 set up VXR's in the country and TG was made aware but wanted both due to recording times constraints they had. But like i have said drive the VXR and make up your own mind not run off Clarkson's opinions, a man who owns and drives rwd cars no less than £40 k. TG is a light humoured program, yes enjoyable to watch but do you think the Monty Pythen movies are based on real life events? no and neither is Top Gear, just one mans opinion (and not good ones at that), now who would listen to a man who resembles side show Bob from the Simpsons.
Opinions are good but yours would have any credibilty if you have experienced it first hand and not taken the word from a media reported who is well known and publicised for being biased towards the griffin badge.

New Golf R32 launching later this year in the UK v6 awd 0-100 6.2 sec
top speed 155 mph, same stats as the VXR but will be put up against the scooby and evo - no chance

Golf GTi - wins hands down for most family orientated hot hatch (also come in 5 door varient) and better suited to take on the Zafira VXR on its release, same 0-100 and top speed stats.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y179/aussie31/A1010140.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y179/aussie31/A1010139.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y179/aussie31/A1010136.jpg

Slimcraigie
15th August 2005, 07:09 AM
I agree with Shane man, Clarkson is a d##k all he does is slag Vauxhall off the guy is a w####r. Trust me I work for Vauxhall I know what the opposition has to offer in the UK and we have the best cars in the range for performance and value, or else why do we all drive them ?? what company can compare with the Astra for instance in an affordable easy to Mod car none here just look at the range Corsa Astra Zafira Meriva Vectra Signum................. Jeremey Clarkson can suck my #### He is a Biased self opinionated mother who is paid by Ford

Also can you get a better badge to replace the Aussie equivelant of any opposition car or a decent priced DIY Mod or a bargain from me

Man it gets me Sooooooooooooooo angry

VXR is going to be a revolution in the motor industry nothing we have ever done before is going to match it....NOBODY is going to be able to rival it that is NOBODY..................Not in the price range we buy our cars in or any price range any where near it.

Aussie in London......take no notice of the doubters Man you have driven it you know what you want to do with yours when you get it.....Go for it dude :eek:

aussie_in_london
15th August 2005, 08:06 AM
I totally agree with you Slim so the reason i purchased a Astra H SRi
and now am upgrading to the VXR, not one car company in the UK can match what Vauxhall have created with the VXR range and not only in price but style and performance to back it up. And very true i have been behind the wheel of the VXR and can say from actual experience the Astra VXR is a class leader, more performance fun than driving my old mans "04" V8 SS Commodore.

Bring on Oct - launching my VXR.

Shane