PDA

View Full Version : Astra H 3 Door Reviews

extralarge
28th July 2005, 06:58 PM
Site 1 (http://uk.cars.yahoo.com/050428/4/1xrw9.html)

Autocar (http://www.autocar.co.uk/RoadTest_Summary.asp?RT=214906)

audi tt like? like a rear drive? hmm....

BassyAstra
28th July 2005, 07:05 PM
I took the 3 door for a test drive yesterday and im 6"3' and thought there
really wasnt much head room.

When i style my hair there isnt gonna be enough height room. :?

As for the drive it feels like the 5 door, just a bit sharper around corners, steering feels more responsive but that could be because my current H is 10 months old and its abit warn.

yes

Aussie-in-London
28th July 2005, 09:29 PM
wait until you guys get your hands on the SRi turbo
the set up will be alittle different and the sports switch will change the handling charactoristics.

rjastra
29th July 2005, 12:07 PM
the set up will be alittle different and the sports switch will change the handling charactoristics.

In all likelihood we won't get that on our version. And from most reports it isn't much chop anyway.

BassyAstra
29th July 2005, 05:04 PM

In all likelihood we won't get that on our version. And from most reports it isn't much chop anyway.

http://www.holden.com.au/www-holden/jsp/popups/astraCoupe.jsp?useraccessmode=success

Scroll down.
Every1 knows were gettin the Sri T H, where have u been? :wink: :)

Aussie-in-London
29th July 2005, 06:28 PM
the UK mate where thay have been out now for the past few months turbo and all (not forgetting the sports switch) lol

NUTTTR
29th July 2005, 06:32 PM

http://www.holden.com.au/www-holden/jsp/popups/astraCoupe.jsp?useraccessmode=success

Scroll down.

"we won't get THAT on OUR version"....... read it again......
We probably won't have the one with fancy features, probably the usual cut down versions......

Aussie-in-London
29th July 2005, 06:38 PM
[quote="In all likelihood we won't get that on our version. And from most reports it isn't much chop anyway.[/quote]

That i disagree with having it in my 5 door SRi - it is noticable when its on
read th following from Jeremy Clarkson (top gear fame) during his recent test of the SRi 3 door sports hatch (we all know how much he dis

"Meanwhile, I’d become fixated with a little button on the dash marked “sport”. Now in most cars “sport” buttons are connected only to a light on the dash that comes on to say you’ve pushed the button. But in the Astra it really does have an effect.

When you press it the ride becomes hard and the engine actually jumps. The revs rise and you feel good. My children were so amazed they even stopped throwing tennis rackets at one another".

the full report - good read

June 05, 2005

Vauxhall Astra SRi
Vauxhall, I forgive you (almost) everything

The car you see in the photographs this morning is not very good. Quite apart from the fact that it’s a Vauxhall Astra, which has the social appeal of herpes, it has wonky steering and a completely unfathomable on-board computer. But I’d have one.
This, you see, is a fabulous piece of design, as handsome and as “right” as any Ferrari. If Aston Martin were to make a small three-door hatchback, it would look like this. And I’m sorry, but when something looks this good, who cares if the steering wheel is wrenched from your hands every time you stamp on the loud pedal? I’m not being silly, either. I mean, who cares if your children’s nanny keeps setting fire to the house and leaving hypodermic needles in the bath? Just as long as she’s easy on the eye.

In fact, it’s the same story with everything we ever buy. Televisions, kitchen utensils, flowers, paintings, trousers. We look at the range of what we can afford and then we buy the prettiest. I recently bought a cheese scraper from the Conran shop. It can’t actually scrape cheese but it doesn’t half look fine and dandy, hanging on the wall.

For some reason, however, cars are different. People do go out and deliberately buy something that has all the aesthetic appeal of a pensioner’s diseased gum. I’m thinking now of the Chevrolet Tacuma. (Don’t be fooled by the name. It’s a Daewoo really.) Then there’s the soon-to-be-launched SsangYong Rodius. Styled by the same man who brought you the Bentley Continental R and the Aston Martin Vantage, it is quite simply the most hideous shape to grace the world since Ena Sharples went west. It has wheels the size of Smarties, a body with the fat content of a Floridian television addict and a back end more scary than anything you have ever seen on Doctor Who.

We’re told that when it comes to Britain it will cost around £19,000 and that, you might think, would be the final nail in its coffin. But I can absolutely guarantee that someone out there, a caravannist probably, with a lifetime subscription to Which? magazine, will buy one. What’s more, I can also guarantee he won’t be alone.

Frankly, I’d make them get planning permission. I mean, if you aren’t allowed to build a small wooden shed outside your house without council approval, why should you be allowed to park something this offensive on your drive? Good contemporary car design isn’t hard these days, now that car makers once again have one platform onto which any body that takes their fancy can be nailed. Land Rover, for instance, launched the new Discovery and then, in the blink of an eye, used the same underpinnings to come up with the Cheshirised Range Rover Sport.

"If Aston Martin were to make a three-door hatchback, it would look like this. Think of it as Angelina Jolie. You've heard that she's mad and eats nothing but wallpaper paste. But you would, wouldn't you"

Over in Germany, a Jaguar fan working in the Mercedes design studio tinkered in his free time with the notion of a Merc that looked like a Jag. His bosses liked the idea, told him to bolt it to a standard E-class chassis, and within a few months the staggeringly beautiful CLS was outside Bernie Ecclestone’s house . . . with two wheels missing.

Best of all, there’s the Alfa Romeo Brera. This replacement for the GT is, and I’m not exaggerating, one of the most stupendously beautiful cars ever made. You see it and you don’t care that underneath it’s just a collection of Fiat bits. You just have to have one.

Think of it as Angelina Jolie. You’ve heard that she’s mad and eats nothing but wallpaper paste. But you would, wouldn’t you.

Thanks to the Alfa, and the new Mazda MX-5, and the CLS, and a whole host of others, there is now a bigger range of good-looking cars on the market than at any time since probably the mid-Sixties. And almost none of them are Vauxhalls.

Ever since I was a small boy, Vauxhall has never ever produced anything even remotely beautiful. I’m thinking back now to the Viva and the Cresta and that woodlouse Astra it did in the Eighties, and there’s no warm glow of nostalgia. In fact, I’m starting to feeling vomitous.

Vauxhalls have always been my bête noire, because they’ve always been so depressingly dull. Magnolia paint with a tax disc. As appealing and as tasty as warm skimmed milk. As dynamic as someone who’s dead.

Mainly, I suspect this is because Vauxhall’s a part of General Motors which, so far as I can tell, is a bit of a misnomer. It seems to concentrate mainly on pensions and healthcare and for as long as I can remember has seen the car making side of the business as an expensive loss-making nuisance.

This explains the Vectra. They gave it some seats, a pair of windscreen wipers and a roof, and, just before the morning coffee break, with a sigh of relief, went back to their Medicare and pension plans.
I read recently that a copper in Shropshire had been videoed doing 159 in his Vectra. Now I know that anyone in their right mind would want to get the journey over quickly, so they could get out of the car, but come on: 159? In a Vectra? If I’d been his defence lawyer, I’d have had a close look at the video equipment because this sort of speed, even in the V6, is simply not possible. Quite apart from the engine’s lack of grunt, you lose the will to live by the time you ’ve hit 40.

I hate the Vectra. I hate the old Astra. And I really hate the Corsa. They are an affront to me in the same way that a poorly made sandwich is an affront to Gordon Ramsay. There’s no pizzazz, no passion, no point.

But the three-door Astra hatchback is different. Quite apart from the meaningful stance and the Brad Pitt body, it has an air of quality you certainly wouldn’t expect from a Vauxhall, or indeed any car in this part of the marketplace.

Under the skin there’s been a bit of cost cutting — the rear suspension’s a bit basic, for instance — but you don’t notice this when you’re inside, especially at night when the whole cockpit is bathed in a submarine-style red glow.

It’s robust, too. On one journey I put all three of my children on the rather cramped back seat — it is a coupé so the lack of space isn’t a complaint — and went for a little drive. It took only five minutes for the fight to begin and 10 minutes for it to become a full-scale war. But impressively, none of the trim broke.

Meanwhile, I’d become fixated with a little button on the dash marked “sport”. Now in most cars “sport” buttons are connected only to a light on the dash that comes on to say you’ve pushed the button. But in the Astra it really does have an effect.

When you press it the ride becomes hard and the engine actually jumps. The revs rise and you feel good. My children were so amazed they even stopped throwing tennis rackets at one another.

Sadly, they were quickly bored again because the satellite navigation woman was plainly on drugs. I’ve never encountered such a dopey attitude to navigation. And it was impossible — impossible, d’you hear — to make the radio pick up anything but long wave. And all you can get on long wave is the sound of paper rustling, on Mars.

Then I put my foot down and whoa. There’s lots of oomph from the turbocharged 2 litre engine, so much in fact that the front wheels can’t cope at all. It’s been a long time since I drove a car that torque-steered this badly and I dread to think what the forthcoming 240bhp VXR model will be like.

So, with the wayward steering and the stoned sat nav, the journey home took longer than I’d anticipated. But I didn’t care. Because after I’d hosed all the blood out of the rear quarters, I stood back and thought: that is one very good-looking car. And that’s enough.

VITAL STATISTICS

Model Vauxhall Astra SRi 2.0i 16v Turbo
Engine Four-cylinder, 1998cc
Power 168bhp @ 5200rpm
Torque 184 lb ft @ 1950rpm
Transmission Six-speed manual
Fuel 31.4mpg (combined cycle)
CO2 216g/km
Acceleration 0-60mph: 7.9sec
Top speed 136mph
Price £17,495
Verdict When a car looks this good it can’t be bad

Jeremy Clarkson

following his test drive of the vxr and its handling - was his biggest complaint about vauxhall, Lotus have now stepped in and offered him driving lessons for fwd cars - is a Lotus design and built chassie and suspension set up not vxl lol

Aussie-in-London
29th July 2005, 06:42 PM

Scroll down.

We probably won't have the one with fancy features, probably the usual cut down versions......

well im best to bring my vxr with me when i move back home, paying to have it freighted with the rest of my gear will be well worth it in the end lol

BassyAstra
29th July 2005, 08:36 PM

Scroll down.

well im best to bring my vxr with me when i move back home, paying to have it freighted with the rest of my gear will be well worth it in the end lol
Yeah the VXR wont come.
Aye aussie you should buy me one and have both shipped over. :P
Man would they be eye catchers on the street!

Aussie-in-London
30th July 2005, 12:05 AM
no worries mate might bring 4 one of each colour lol

zoidberg
20th August 2005, 01:00 PM
I dont think i'd be that fussed if we didn't get the IDS+ System. IMO, I highly doubt it would be on par with something like coil overs, plus the "lowered suspension" is still to high for my likeing.

If by some chance we even get it as an option on our version, i'd opt not to have it.

Again, this is only my opion, Decent coilovers and ESP (Which we do get) im sure will do better than IDS+ and ESP

Rob

bones
22nd August 2005, 07:36 PM
That review is one of the funniest things I have ever read. They have to get that guy on the next series of Grumpy Old Men, I don't care how old he is.

And, of course, he is spot-on. I went out looking for a Calibra to rplace my ever-so-horny looking Series 5 RX-7 purely because its about the best looking car I could ever hope to afford. Fortunately I have found it to be a fantastic car in most departments but even if it had been gutless and steered like the Queen mary I might still have been tempted.

Now I have seen the Astra Coupe and despite all the motoring journo's whinging about it having the same underpinnings as the old one and weighing 75kg more, I really want one. Badly. I am more than happy to give away 20kW and add 100kg or so just to own something that beautiful.