PDA

View Full Version : Are K&N Filters Worth It?

extralarge
26th July 2005, 11:52 PM
Been wanting to know whether K&N filters work or not.

Here is a long debate (http://forums.autoweek.com/thread.jspa?forumID=16&threadID=11893&start=45&tst art=0)

Testing Site 1 (http://home.usadatanet.net/~jbplock/ISO5011/SPICER.htm)

Testing Site 2 (http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/airfilter/airtest3.htm)

Previously i saw several Dyno graphs show a 1-2hp loss at low revs, but a 2hp increase in high revs. both these are compared to a standard paper panel filter.

the high rev 'better throttle response' is accompanied with a change in engine sound, which makes the car feel quicker.

thus it may be beneficial for race, but not normal daily driving... plus you should consider the cost, decreased filtering capacity...

Namus
27th July 2005, 08:18 AM
worked for me personally

JasonGilholme
27th July 2005, 08:27 AM
go to the k&N site and read up on how their filters work. There is hardly a difference between the filtering abilities of a paper filter and a K&N Filter.

Personally, mine works well. I have a pod filter. Some people have a panel filter. I found that the pod filter works better for me then a panel.

Have fun.

Mr T
27th July 2005, 08:50 AM
Go to an Autobarn...the one in Penrith has a display where it visually displays the extra air that travels through under the same pressure.

They do work, regardless of how much they work...is it value for money? That is a decision you will have to make for yourself.

Alfonzo
27th July 2005, 10:48 AM
I found it helped my situation.
My Vec had this thing where if you came to a stop at say an intersection and immediately wanted to get up and go, it'd take a second or two to get started again, almost like the engine needed to catch it's breath.

I replaced the regular panel with a K&N filter, and while the problem is still sort of there, it's no longer as evident as before.

I will agree that the engine sounds a bit different in high revs too :P

oneightoo
27th July 2005, 01:41 PM
even if they dont do anything for performance they do make a nice sound.. plus when you pop the hood a pod looks better than an air box.. the coppers seem to think so too..

Mr T
27th July 2005, 02:43 PM
even if they dont do anything for performance they do make a nice sound.. plus when you pop the hood a pod looks better than an air box.. the coppers seem to think so too..

A pod is a different story again...you will definately get more induction noise with a pod.

A K&N Panel filter and derestricted Air box will increase the throaty induction sound that we all like, especially on V6 Vectra's ! ! !

Tungsta
27th July 2005, 04:21 PM
I got one on my astra turbo...they sound even better on turbo!

kirssn
27th July 2005, 04:46 PM
holden sold me one. its going in for my 30,000km service in 3,000kms.

Tungsta
27th July 2005, 05:09 PM
how much did the holden one end up costing you? Must have been an arm and a leg?

Wattie
27th July 2005, 07:22 PM
mmmm onenut has heard mine!! hehe

kirssn
28th July 2005, 08:39 AM
$84.62

JasonGilholme
28th July 2005, 08:58 AM
I got my k&N pod for 69$ and I went out and bought a heat shield for it as well so it's not suckin in the hotter air from the engine. Works a charm. Sounds better, goes better. looks better. You can't loose.

lowey22
28th July 2005, 12:38 PM
I had a k&n pod initially and deffinately noticed the difference. now im using an enclosed pod (http://opelaus.com/phpBB2-3/viewtopic.php?t=6714&highlight=greet+cotten+twiste r) and it rocks.

Tungsta
28th July 2005, 12:54 PM
Hows the enclosed pod sound?

JasonGilholme
28th July 2005, 02:08 PM
thats quiet a hefty price for a filter. You can sorta see mine in my avatar. I'll take a better picture of it and post it up tomoro.

Namus
28th July 2005, 02:40 PM
oh; mine was a panel btw

kirssn
28th July 2005, 03:02 PM
so is mine. a panel.

lowey22
28th July 2005, 03:19 PM
Hows the enclosed pod sound?

sounds sweet as, louder than my previous pod and a better sound. dont know if you can hear it from outside the car as im always driving. is induction noise noticable from outside?

corsaboy
28th July 2005, 03:53 PM
Just to let you guys n gals know pod filters are illegal (NSW) due to the fact they are not sealed in an air box (also being an oiled filter are a fire hazard). But if it were me I would prefer one of those Japanese non oiled filters i.e Apexi, Blitz. I presently use an ARC airbox - find it to enable the car to breathe heaps better!!

my 2c

Gsimad
8th August 2005, 06:50 PM
Worked on all my cars well. Panel or cone filter. There will not be huge gains with these filters just a few BHP if your lucky but it should be more responsive and improve driveability.

I now have an Apexi cone filter. As it is cheaper than the K&N.

Craig

Fungusfee
9th August 2005, 10:29 AM
I got a K&N pod sitting in all it's glory in the engine bay just waiting to spontaneously combust :).

I think it's improved a bit at least. sounds heaps better and keeps the engine cooler on the highway. seems to have better response on the highway as well.

Not so sure about fuel efficiency. i suspect i flog it a bit more to hear the noise and suck up a bit more fuel :).

Tungsta
9th August 2005, 01:15 PM
Hahaha i know the feeling...i think my fuel consumption went from 9 to 10.5 or so coz i kept on giving it just to hear the sound...and on a turbo its awesome!

OPC
9th August 2005, 05:02 PM
i just gained 8kw from a new K&N POD FILTER...

1OPL2C
9th August 2005, 05:09 PM

does ur pod sit in d same position as a non turbo would?

CAL.16V
9th August 2005, 06:48 PM
8kw???? :shock:

and my calibra turbo does 10's :D

joking :P

that is huge for a filter......i am guessing its in a sealed box with a cold air feed or something like a bcm carbon filter?????

my motor is similar to yours i guess and the pod filter replacing airbox made the car rev better higher up and go better from standstill but in between gears its a slug as i take it, it sucks in too much air and chokes the engine...... so i took it off

OPC
9th August 2005, 06:55 PM

does ur pod sit in d same position as a non turbo would?

NO

JasonGilholme
9th August 2005, 09:13 PM
did you throw it down in the front bar??

Namus
9th August 2005, 09:38 PM
yeah there's gotta be something substantially different about urs mohawk to gain 8kw just from that....

not doubting you and the 8kw gain; just that it can't be in the same place as the standard filter...not for 8kw

1OPL2C
9th August 2005, 10:12 PM
i forgot whos car it was in, but sum1 had der pod like in d front bumper i think or around in dat area.. and they had that chrome pipe with it..
either jay's or steves

are these filters ne good: shielded pod filter 1 (http://www.onautos.com.au/store/cart.php?target=product&action=view&product_id=163 69&category_id=268)

shielded pod 2 (http://www.onautos.com.au/store/cart.php?target=product&action=view&product_id=165 30&substring=simota)

Wattie
10th August 2005, 06:56 AM
jays is pod under the bonnet, and it was dyno'd...

Mr T
10th August 2005, 10:27 AM
jays is pod under the bonnet, and it was dyno'd...

Yep same Dyno before and after...8KW, I was like... :shock: WTF

1OPL2C
10th August 2005, 11:07 AM
mad!

so is der ne way to get a gain like that from the 1.8 astra?

CAL.16V
10th August 2005, 01:18 PM
lol...not from a 1.8......

so the pod dosent have a heat shield or cold air or anything?? just bang, straight in were the old one was??

Namus
10th August 2005, 01:56 PM
only way to get that sort of gain froma 1.8l is for a powerchip

lowey22
10th August 2005, 02:11 PM
lol, this thread went from K&N filters to powerchip and the powerchip thread went from chip to K&N filters...

and 1OPL2C and Namus, your avatars are creepily alike

beep beep sri
10th August 2005, 04:26 PM
whats a k & n panel filter worth? im interested in what other people have paid or prices they have been quoated

Namus
12th August 2005, 02:50 PM
bout the $120-$150 mark last time i checked (which was a long time ago mind u)

kirssn
12th August 2005, 03:27 PM
whats a k & n panel filter worth? im interested in what other people have paid or prices they have been quoated

$84.62 from holden.

beep beep sri
12th August 2005, 03:48 PM
84.62 was that for a genuine k&n coz that sounds bloody cheap

zoidberg
12th August 2005, 03:55 PM
WHAT THE!!!!

Holden sell K&N filters for there cars?

Somebody please confirm cos i know Kirssn's other half works for the dealership i used to

Namus
13th August 2005, 11:27 AM
yeah ditto; didn't think holden sold anything but the OEM parts....

kirssn
13th August 2005, 05:42 PM
i didnt get it through my other half. i got it through a heartland dealer

zoidberg
13th August 2005, 07:31 PM
i got it through a heartland dealer

MAD!!!

Now thats something i certainly didn't expect from Holden

RK
13th August 2005, 09:46 PM
I found mine at the back of the truck. and it just happened to be for my car/engine. wicked! :D

OPC
16th August 2005, 07:04 PM

sorry guys i was only joking... :(

Namus
16th August 2005, 08:52 PM
BAHAHA lol @ mohawk....now THAT's funny...lol

auzvectra
17th August 2005, 06:09 PM
mine gained about 4kw, but not at peak, only midrange.
actually lost 1kw on 1 run and 2kw on another run.
but these were back to back, and the ecu had no time to get used to the k&n, which shows on the a/f ratios, that are level on 1 and irratic on the other.
this is a panel filter, on a standard astra turbo, with deristricted airbox only.
would upload the scan, but dont know how to on this new forum.

CAL.16V
19th August 2005, 02:45 PM
had me goin there mohawk..... :)

JasonGilholme
20th August 2005, 07:45 AM
my K&N pod cost me about 70 bucks but if your going for a pod I'd definately reccommend a heat shield (about $20) and possible some air ducting ($15). I've done all three to my corsa 1.4 and i've had nothing but success and loud induction sounds.... not to mention a few head turns when i double clutch down!! lol

Gildo
22nd August 2005, 09:03 PM
I did the same thing with my SRi......piping heat sheild etc......i then swapped it for a panel filter.....sorry to say but panel filter is better for me 4 sure speed wise.........THe louder the car the faster it sounds thats probly why you think it worked well. mite be diff on your car though...only talking from personal experience

CAL.16V
23rd August 2005, 12:09 AM
have exprimented over last few days/week and the k&n pod in the stock location with a semi decent heat shield and cold air ducting to front of the bumper on my calibra turbo sucks...goes like a dog but sounds cool.......

gonna ditch it and go back to my k&n panel filter when i have time to change it

POW00A
29th August 2005, 03:20 PM
For winter the pod filter will out perform the panel, but if your looking for extra power all year round then panel is the way to go, but some advice if you are looking for a great sound out of your Opel, i'd be looking at a "UNI-Filter Ram pod" for sound its the way to go!!!!

RapidSRi
29th August 2005, 05:50 PM
I was really impressed with the difference a K&N panel made in my corsa. I was a bit reluctant having fit a pod in my mazda as it sounds super sweet but did not do any favours for fuel consumption nor any noticable power gain. (it needed proper cold air intake)

On the other hand the panel K&N, whilst on a dyno reading would not show noticable power gains, it did make the engine rev with more ease and the mid range is now much smoother power delivery I found

- it's a must,and I'm not into modding

Namus
29th August 2005, 07:06 PM
from what i can gather from my own and other ppl's experiences; that would appear to be right on the money;

the panel filter smooths out the power delivery and it isn't as harsh....not so much 'power' gain...

JasonGilholme
30th August 2005, 08:41 AM
when i say success i don't mean that i've gain a bucket load of kw's at the wheels. I mean i haven't lost any performance from the car. its definately smoother throughout the rev range and loves the cold winter nights. but when it comes down to it it doesn't really matter what kind of filter you have its not gonna make any noticeable power gains ATW. if you want power spend more money on something else. simple.

POW00A
30th August 2005, 02:27 PM
You just hit the nail on the head

180HOA
30th August 2005, 03:19 PM
I may be wrong, but I assume that if the K&N filters let more air through, then they probably don't do as good a job in actually filtering... Is this the case, and if so, has it caused anyone any grief?

On another note:

...but sum1 had der pod like in d front bumper i think or around in dat area..

What in the hell language are you using? My god that's hard to read/annoying!

/End whinge.