PDA

View Full Version : Electronic tolling in NSW

AndrewH
26th July 2005, 09:58 PM
Hi all,

I am planning to get an electronic tolling tag, but was just curious to see if there were any practical differences between all the various available options:

1. E-Toll - from the RTA. Deposit of $40.
2. ExpressTag - TollAust, depost of $40. Website says to travel at max of 25km/h.
3. EWay Tag - from Interlink Roads.

Has anyone had any experiences or opinions as to which is better? For example, do the tag brackets mount easily? Do they vary in physical size?

Do some work better than others? (eg allow the car to travel at higher speeds through the toll plaze?)

Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Andrew

BassyAstra
26th July 2005, 10:40 PM
I use E-toll, no problems here.
They send you a reciept with every transaction made, where it was made and the exact time.
Connection is easy, i share it with my family so we had to buy 2 stick on connectors, a 2nd one is an extra $5.

rjastra
27th July 2005, 12:42 PM
The RTA Etag is the best. You can pick them up at various RTA offices AND get tehm replaced just as easily.

The bracket also seems more sturdy than the competitors.

oneightoo
27th July 2005, 01:49 PM
I use E-Tag, cost me $40 to buy the unit, and it just takes money from account when i use it.. if the website says max speed is 25km/h then it's lying, the speed limit there is 70, that works, but i often go thru at 90km/h and that works fine too.. and best of all on all tolls in sydney except the harbour bridge/tunnel and eastern distributor you get $3 back for each trip..

kirssn
27th July 2005, 02:30 PM
i have an e-toll. i don't use the sticky thing. i refuse to have it stuck to my car. mick and i swap it between the astra and his cars, depending on which car we are using at the time. speed doesnt matter going through for most part but we have noticed if you do go through too fast, they do send you a letter providing you with a warning that you were speeding.
i also like the e-toll because it is small. when i'm not in the car, the e-toll isn't either. it's in my hand bag.

my only complaint is that the rta is slow in producing the quarterly statements where you can claim back trips in the m4 and m5. the quarter finished on 30th june and i only received my statement on monday. how slow is that.

aussievectra
27th July 2005, 05:24 PM
You can also use the e-toll/tags in Victoria on the citylink as well and vice-versa the Melbourne Citylink e-tags in NSW. Quite handy when driving between the two cities.

oneightoo
27th July 2005, 05:39 PM
yeah i heard that, never actually driven to melb, but if i ever do it'll be quite convenient..

AndrewH
27th July 2005, 07:18 PM
Thanks for all your replies guys.

i have an e-toll. i don't use the sticky thing. i refuse to have it stuck to my car.

kirssn - so do you just hold it up to the windscreen as you pass through the toll gates then?

I use E-Tag... the speed limit there is 70, that works, but i often go thru at 90km/h and that works fine too.. and best of all on all tolls in sydney except the harbour bridge/tunnel and eastern distributor you get $3 back for each trip..

oneightoo - I assume you are talking about the ExpressTag? Or are you referring to the E-Toll, or the EWayTag?

Also, how can you get $3 back on your tolls? I am aware of the M4/M5 Cashback Scheme, but this sounds like something different, if you can get something back from other tolled roads...

oneightoo
27th July 2005, 11:10 PM
i'm talking about the original E-Tag, when there was only one choice of tag when the E lane opened..

I'm guessing the cash back on the tolls is an incentive to get the tags.. I have been doing it for years..

Your not really supposed to hold the tag up to the window, you can get fned for it.. nethertheless i hold mine up to the window..

kirssn
28th July 2005, 08:34 AM
yep we hold it up to the windscreen just near the mirror as we go through. basically where it should sit if you were to stick it there.

yep you can get fined for it too. so far been lucky. but not i've said that you watch, i'll get fined for it :)

i just dont want something ugly on the screen, plus for me, having it there was a distraction because when mick worked at ruf, we had a company one stuck on like you're meant to and it just annoyed me when i drove.

oneightoo
28th July 2005, 12:40 PM
i dont like it stuck to the windscreen cos when you need to take it out, ie if you sell the car, it's not so easy to clean, plus i think it looks ugly..

kirssn
28th July 2005, 01:03 PM
my point exactly!!!! which is why i havent stuck it anywhere hehe