PDA

View Full Version : What's this noise?

lowey22
21st July 2005, 02:42 PM
I've just been out to wash my Astra (on my lunch break) and heard a strange noise when I started it up. It's a sort of soft whirring or rubbing sound and gets louder when I accelerate more, and lessens when i put the clutch in (ie when the revs go down). it seemed to stop or get quieter after a lil bit. i let it idle and opened up the bonnet, it sounds like its coming from the timing belt (which only only had changed 25,000kms ago) or around that area.

additional info - i drove through a puddle last nit (about a foot or so deep) and on the way to work this morning (on an hour and a half drive) the service light came on and i couldnt accelerate much at that point. i pulled over and turned it off then back on and then it was fine.

wat do u think?

JasonGilholme
21st July 2005, 02:54 PM
I had a similiar problem wit my corsa. Everytime I would put my foot on the clutch something made a loud rubbing sound. The hotter the engine got the louder the sound got. Turns out it was a rubber housing or something that had warped and was rubbin on somethin else. They didn't really go into heaps of detail. My engine light didn't come on tho.

Hope it helps a bit.

Jason

lowey22
21st July 2005, 03:04 PM
ok. did u get it looked at right away? ive got a service due in a month or so, but dont want to damage anything...

JasonGilholme
21st July 2005, 03:26 PM
yeah i got it checked about the week after i heard it and it took them a few days to order the part in. I just grandma'd the car around until i got the part put in.

lowey22
21st July 2005, 03:41 PM
cool, i just booked a service/tune for wednesday next week...

JasonGilholme
21st July 2005, 03:43 PM
gee that was quick. You doin't mess around do ya. I got mine fixed for free straight away cause I just bought the car. It was a second handy with about 80 on the clock.

lowey22
21st July 2005, 04:06 PM
mines got 189,000 on the clock :shock:

JasonGilholme
22nd July 2005, 08:32 AM
:shock: :shock: :shock: WOW. ATM mines just ticked over 100,000