PDA

View Full Version : Which Holden Service in Brisbane?

SAPH
20th July 2005, 04:18 PM
Hi Guys,

I am moving to Brisbane and just wondering if you can recommend a reliable Holden service?

Holden Eagers in Newstead will be the closest one to me.

Any experience with Eagers?

Thanks!

Austra SRi
20th July 2005, 05:23 PM
Heya SAPH :D and fellow OpelAus members,

With reference to this question regarding Holden Servicing, I will preface these comments without prejudice and by stating that my reluctance to buy another Holden had more to do with a complete lack of service and attention in all my past dealings with other Brisbane dealerships, rather than any specific product or reliability related issues. But here I am beind the wheel of another Holden (Opel) an '02 SRi I purchased from Doug Barton Holden (Wynnum) about a month ago.

As an example, the ’95 SB Barina GSi I owned until 2 years ago had been out of warranty for many years but was in pristine condition, routinely maintained and mechanically faultless. Yet I always seemed to drive away with more problems and noises after visiting a Holden dealership than before I’d left the car for service? :?:

The only thing each dealership really excelled in was creating uniquely original reasons for what had gone wrong, what needed to be done and why they were never to blame. This culminated in the ridiculous case of the Barina suffering serious mechanical damage (snapped cam belt) because of a dealership ‘forgetting’ to respect factory servicing intervals? :x After 6 weeks, they finally agreed to avoid litigation and pay 2/3 of the cost of repair but only after the State Dept of Fair Trading had become involved. So much for their commitment to customer service? No, I don't go there anymore.

Another advising me that the air-conditioner in the vehicle was working perfectly (despite air-con never having been fitted!) is also enough to make you gasp in disbelief. To then be expected to pay for the privilege of having your intelligence insulted just adds to an already grievous injury. Needless to say, it reflects poorly on the brand and the entire business network as a result.

These were Leach Motors (Newmarket) and Motorama (Pacific Highway, Springwood) respectively. Also steer clear of Eagers Holden at Newstead as they charged me a bomb to do all types of 'diagnostics' that strangely enough, found nothing wrong with the car? :evil: "It's pretty much perfect, Sir." Yeah, thanks for the update Sherlock. Does anyone actually know if you have to fail an IQ test before they let you become a Service Manager?

In their defence, Eagers Newstead were the only dealership to EVER offer me a courtesey vehicle while my car was being serviced.

And this is my exact point: too many inconsistencies from a company that deals with the same products, offers the same warranties and has access to the same training and parts database. Here's hoping the Astra proves as reliable as the Barina and Doug Barton is the exception? :roll:

Interestingly over the European models, all Australian-delivered Astras and Barinas arrived with fully zinc-galvanised body panels and a "hot climate pack" including UV-resistant door handles and UV treated glass (min. 70% transparency) Therefore if you haven't already done so, politely decline the factory accessory up-sell as you can get twice the quality and service for less than half the price somewhere else.

Speaking of which, if any of you happen to need tinting, my boys at Supercool down the Gold Coast will hook you up with a lifetime guarantee 85% blockout 100% metallised tint (Ultima) for only $200 (3 dr) and $250 (5 dr) They usually charge $335 and of course, Holden wanted to charge me $495 for some crappy 35% 'factory approved' tint :shock: PM me and I'll give you the details (*They also do 95% blacked-out tints... but you don't get an invoice for that one 8)

Anyhooooo hope that offers some of you food for thought as I'd like to think that my poor experiences will help others avoid some of the 'service' inconsistencies I've experienced in the past :)

Clint
20th July 2005, 07:31 PM
i had a cam belt changed at holden springwood a while ago and when me and dad changed the cam sensor we found the cam belt was very loose. loose enough u could get a finger in between the belt and the cog... strange it hadnt slipped, altho one of the cams were out by one tooth...

also we got quoted $450 for the cam sensor plus $50 labour. when they said that i said to dad ill go home and ask slim what he can do it for.. slim was AU$100 inc postage.. big saving and we changed the sensor ourselves. they also said this sensor we will give u is the updated fixed sensor. when in actual fact theirs is the old type and slim has the new type...

haha ask holden springwood about a white vectra and they will probablt groan.. they hate out car... we have a 22 page list of problems which we have had with the car since we bought it in 98. for a long time holden was getting us to bring the car in every week when the new firmware for the ecu was released weekly, to see if that fixed the problem....

180HOA
20th July 2005, 08:35 PM
My mate works in sales for Zupps Aspley, I bought my last car there and have had my last two cars serviced there, and always found them to be quite good (almost to the point of irritation - they sent me an sms the day before to remind me, and one afterwards in case i wasn't happy...)

Your avatar is an SRiT; if that's what you drive it might interest you to know the SRiT's servicing at Zupps is dealt with by the HSV mechanic/s, theoretically meaning your cars gonna get more care from more experienced people. My mate also tells me these guys understand the Turbos, something that I don't think can be said of many Holden service departments...

Dee
20th July 2005, 09:08 PM
not to put a spanner in the works here, but i have had nothing but trouble with Zupps Aspley, have never had my car serviced there, but went there to buy 2 separate cars and everyone that i spoke to there were extremely rude to the point that i will always tell people to stay clear of them (unless you are like 180HOA and know someone that works there)

Clint
20th July 2005, 10:18 PM
maybe the service is good but the sales department is crap?

mrbenno
20th July 2005, 10:26 PM
For service I highly recommend WestPoint Holden @ Indooroopilly, if you organise it in advance you can get a loan Astra (auto) and their service is excellent.

They also have a mobile service option where they come to you (only good if you need text book service work done)

Anthony is the service manager and he is very professional, they are the ONLY Holden dealership that my car will ever go to again, I have had nothing but trouble with 7 other dealerships in Brisbane.

Your mileage may vary.

ps. they even wash your car half the time!

20th July 2005, 11:17 PM
my god austra sri, your reply read like an academic report.

Nicely structured, no grammatical errors, I'll award it a HD. :lol:

I'm happy I have free servicing, and my car is now back to stock - there are no excuses should anything go wrong.

/End thread hijack.

typetnt
21st July 2005, 12:18 AM
Zupps Mt Gravatt are absolute bollocks if you ask me. They managed to not tell me that I needed my brake pads changed and then when the car started squealing a week later, they realised that they "forgot" to tell me. Bringing the car back set me back 3 days because in their "service", the mechanic managed to break the head off the bolt and had to spend the next day trying to get it out.
They also charged me for the extra time they spent which I argued until they cut the price down for only the pads.
Forget the glitsy Customer lounge, they have incompetent staff.
Also, they didn't do a courtesy call after I bought my car off them ever and even had me listed as a lady owner. WTF!
I agree that Westpoint Indooroopilly are quite good with their servicing.

Namus
22nd July 2005, 09:31 AM
My personal experiences:

The Holden at Indro were plain rude to my mum when we took our first commodore into there for a service; won't go into details...

The Holden along the Moorooka Magic Mile are just a plain rip job

TBird
22nd July 2005, 11:33 AM
I'd recommend a non-Holden shop, like everyone else the service I've received from several Brisbane Holden shops has been nothing less than terrible. You still get your warranty and all that, and they can still stamp the book... Anyone with half a brain would realise that a dealer stamp isn’t any more valuable than a stamp from any decent mechanic.

Based on nothing more than enlightening conversation I had with the owner, I'm going to GPD Automotive in Northgate for my next service. The bonus is that you can drool over TVRs while you are there! That should be in the next month (and about a month before the 3 years is up), I'll report back when it’s done :)

Cheers,

Luke

Namus
24th July 2005, 08:29 AM
yeah i now go to ABS at Sumner Park.....the only time a 'Holden' stamp will be worth more is when there are major difficulties with the car...

for basic servicing, take it somewhere else...

TBird
3rd August 2005, 03:18 PM
Well, my pads wore out last week so i took it into GPD... seem to have done a good job... $370 later and no more squealing and they found i had a leaking themostat housing, so its going into eagers to have that fixed under warranty tomorrow.

:)

Tommi
4th August 2005, 07:38 PM
What would be a good non-holden/holden workshop on south bris side around Mt Gravatt?