PDA

View Full Version : My car is for sale, I've just had the weirdest offer

oneightoo
19th July 2005, 11:37 AM
As most of you know, my SRi is up for sale.. it's posted on just about every website i can think.. a few days ago, i had the weirdest offer on my car..

there is a guy keen to buy, apparently he is a dealer and has buyer lined up.. He is also from Surrey in the UK, and his buyer is also in the UK.. He wants to buy my car and ship it to the UK.. Now I'm thinking this has got to be some sort of joke..

WHY WOULD SOMEONE FROM THE UK WANT TO BUY AN ASTRA SRI?? THEY HAVE THEM THERE!!

alls i can think of is he likes the holden badges.. buggered if i know what this guy is on..

btm
19th July 2005, 11:39 AM
a sale is a sale... and if the price is right... :mrgreen:

Jackson
19th July 2005, 11:42 AM
Indeed, who cares, if they put the money in your bank, sweet, but i guess it is a little interesting, would be cheaper for him to get the holden stuff new and buy the astra over there,

oh well some people have more money then sence :screwy:

btm
19th July 2005, 11:46 AM
maybe he likes the colour and cant get it over there...?

or wants a RHD to turn it into some special show car??

who knows...? there are hundreds of different reason i spose

oneightoo
19th July 2005, 12:26 PM
i sent him an email saying yeah this is my offer, if you want it, you have to pay for all shipping costs and organise shipping.. as long as i have my asking price in my bank account after all is done, i dont mind sending the little bugger back to his home.. his bags are packed and he's ready to go, he just needs to be sent home, he's not too good for his home..

oneightoo
19th July 2005, 12:27 PM
but still.. it's quite odd..

Nem
19th July 2005, 12:29 PM
Cash up front is all I can say. :shock:

Bernard Siong
19th July 2005, 01:33 PM
might be a scammer

JohnBu
19th July 2005, 01:56 PM
might be a scammer x2, sorry it IS a scam

if it sounds too good to be true...

R3N
19th July 2005, 01:57 PM
very common case of scamming... especially if he wants to pay using a 3rd party (eg. Escrow) if he wants to put it in your bank account then fine, should be all good when you see the money... But my money says he'll ask you to use Escrow services, if he does, walk away

btm
19th July 2005, 02:03 PM
it makes you wonder how many people actually fall for these scams...

surely alarm bells would start ringing at some point in time :roll:

Greg K
19th July 2005, 02:33 PM
its a scam oneightoo,
like you said, they have them there!

plus he would need to change the speedo coz its illegal to have speed in km/h in the uk!

blackSRi
19th July 2005, 03:41 PM
its a scam oneightoo,
like you said, they have them there!

plus he would need to change the speedo coz its illegal to have speed in km/h in the uk!Yeah, have a look at the regs at http://www.dft.gov.uk/stellent/groups/dft_roads/documents/page/dft_roads_506867-02.hcsp

InsaneAsylum
19th July 2005, 04:41 PM
i wonder if he wants to car to be shipped to a friend in nigeria who will then drive it up to egypt and put it on a boat. :lol:

R3N
19th July 2005, 05:45 PM
i wonder if he wants to car to be shipped to a friend in nigeria who will then drive it up to egypt and put it on a boat. :lol:

That's how I got my car!

R3N
19th July 2005, 05:46 PM
you know what you should do? Play along ;) if it really is a scam you can have some fun with him

Aussie-in-London
19th July 2005, 06:16 PM
find out the dealer name and i will ask a mate of mine over here in the UK to do a company search as he is in the motor finance business, we can find out if the company is legit

Gildo
19th July 2005, 06:17 PM
BEWARE!!!!!
i have had a similiar offer. Let me guess..the offer came through ebay???
its the same scam as when you find HSV manaro's for sale that come from the U.K, the car was taken over there and now is to hard to register blah blah blah....
this is deffinatly a scam for sure.....
money upfront, u mite be 1 in 100000000000 who isnt being scamed.
good luck with the sale otherwise

ultim8DTM5
19th July 2005, 08:33 PM
his bags are packed and he's ready to go, he just needs to be sent home, he's not too good for his home..

The price is wrong BITCH! :P

oneightoo
19th July 2005, 08:45 PM
i think its a scam too.. based a fer reasons.. firstly the ones stated above, secondly in his emails he has very poor english (as stated in email below), surely a car salesman would have some sort of grasp for the english language.. and thirdly it seems to good to be true..

his offer came thru CarPoint Australia..

Aussie-in-London - i'm going to send him an email ow to find out his details.. at the moment all is know of this guy is his name is Hoodey Weyman (that in itself sounds dodgy).

here is our email convo thus far..

--- CarPoint Australia wrote:

*** Please respond to this enquiry within 24 hours. ***

Used Car enquiry from CarPoint Australia at
15-Jul-2005 02:11:48

This CarPoint Australia user has an enquiry:

Year/Make/Model: 2003 / HOLDEN / ASTRA
Rego: APS89B
Price: AUD 23000.00

Name: hoodey weyman
Address:
State: Overseas
Email: [email protected]
Home phone: no need

interested in your listed car awit to read from you asap.

Matt Green wrote:

Hi,
Thanks for enquiring about my car. Are you from the UK? I am from Sydney Australia.
Thanks
Matt

hoodey weyman wrote:

Hello,
Thanks for your reply , yes from the united kindom am local dealer in surrey area in the u.k and one of my client is interested in having such model in her compound even she just boughth carina E from me ,i will like to know your last offer so that i can give her my own price, await to read from you asap.

Matt Green wrote:

Hi,
Well my offer to sell my car is $23,000.. So your from the UK, and you want to buy my car, which is in Sydney Australia? I dont get it. Are you buying for someone in Australia? Or looking to ship it to the UK??
Matt

hoodey weyman wrote:

Yes buying for some one in the uk any problem, await toread from you asap.

Matt Green <[email protected]> wrote:

well i'm selling for $23,000 AUD, if your wanting to buy it and send to the UK you will have to organise the shipping and the costs.

hoodey weyman wrote:

Hello,
Thanks, i will like you to convert your last offer to united kindom pounds and about the shipping processing i have honest and responsible shipper that will take of that both text driving and picking up, await to read from you asap.

Well thats where we're at at the moment, I'm just about to send an email to him to get further details.

If he is trying to scam me, I will be playing along with him and will let you all know the progress.. stay tuned to this thread for more info..

oneightoo
19th July 2005, 08:55 PM
well this is a copy of the email i just sent back to my mystery buyer

Hi
Before we settle on this I would like to get some more info about yourself and your dealership. If I'm going to sell you my car I would like to know the following details, please respond asap with ALL of these details:

Your name?
Who you work for?
Your dealership name?
Your dealership address?
Your dealership phone number?
How do you inted to send the money ie. bank deposit/ cheque/ escrow service?

I look forward to hearing from you asap.

Matt

Aussie-in-London, as soon as i get a response i'll let you know, and i'll be thanking you big time if you can find out any info him :D

oneightoo
19th July 2005, 09:56 PM
ok got the reply from the man in the UK

here it is

Hello,
i will like you to put trust in any thing you doing.
my name
hoodey weyman
i work as a local dealer in united kindom surrey village and the am buying is for my client interested in it.
my dealership name
hoodey wey auto links.
dealer add
21, allen rd surrey.
phone no.
i will like you to send the money through money gram or western union money transfer.
you can also contact my shipper that will responsible for the picking up by email
name mr alfred moore and email add [email protected] await to read from you asap.

Aussie-in-london, if you could check that out for me that would great.
thanks mate :D

Aussie-in-London
19th July 2005, 10:23 PM
leave it with me bud and i will see what i can find out

Shane

CAL.16V
19th July 2005, 10:39 PM
scam!!

dont even think about doing this....

your astra would be worth probably 5000pounds or $12,000 TOPS over there

tell him to give money to the shipping company and for the shipping company to pay you when you give them the keys in exchange or put money in your account when the shipping agent gets the keys .....

if it was i'd tell him to go buy a astra turbo coupe for cheaper money.... :?

Aussie-in-London
19th July 2005, 11:03 PM
well i done a company search from my work and cant find any dealer in surrey village (no such area as Surrey Village) Surrey is a county, would be like saying i live in New South Wales village, its like a state not a suburb, now the road could be possibly be in Croyden which is a city of Surrey and thats how you would put the address down plus we always add a post code over here as it is different to Aus as each property here has its own post code (ask him for the post code for me). The phone number is not a UK phone number (ask him again if it is correct)
Does not sound legit to me, even my mate who works in motor finance has never heard or find any listing of this so called company
I have sent him an email from my work email account just saying i was given as a contact to purchase a car and have not received anything as of yet, will let you know.
Not being able to find any company being in the UK does not sound very legit
If you can ask him a few more questionnaire - phone number and post code would be more helpful

Shane

Aussie-in-London
19th July 2005, 11:08 PM
also with the shipping company, i searched from the email address and once again no listing not even on a yahoo etc search and once again both emails addresses are yahoo accounts for emails, not what you would expect from a shipping company and auto dealer.

sijay
19th July 2005, 11:52 PM
you guys should check out http://www.419eater.com/ ...get some ideas

Aussie-in-London
20th July 2005, 12:09 AM
good site

lots of nigerians over here lol

Namus
20th July 2005, 09:02 AM
sale is sale; if it's legit; go for it

oneightoo
20th July 2005, 11:27 AM
yeah but it sounds too dodgy to be legit..

as my mum always told me..

if it smells funny, dont eat it..

oneightoo
20th July 2005, 12:38 PM
And after that email I got from Hoodey here is the reply i sent to him.

Hi Hoodey
Thanks for the info, but would you please be able to supply me with the post code of where you are? and also the phone number again. If you could please confirm the number that would be great. Also if you could please tell me the process you are going to take in purchasing the car. I have never sent a car to another country before and am quite a novice at this. Thankyou

I wonder what his reply will say..

btm
20th July 2005, 01:10 PM
:lol: milk it for all its worth :lol:

:mrgreen:

oneightoo
20th July 2005, 01:18 PM
yeah it's actually quite exciting that someone is trying to scam me.. I dohbt they are after the car, they are probably going to try and get me to pay for the shipping and tell me they will re-imburse me of something..

R3N
20th July 2005, 03:32 PM
tell them you're selling the car cos you got retired from the police force for having a short temper and a tendency for gettin revenge. Also let him know that you have kept your firearm without them knowing

woody
20th July 2005, 05:49 PM
SCAM - http://www.carbuyingtips.com/fraud.htm

check out the page - it's in reverse in this instance but the scam is the same.

and this from another page:

In another twist, scammers pose as bidders and tell the seller they’ll send their money to an escrow service. The phoney escrow service notifies the seller the money has been received and the seller, who never receives payment, sends his goods to the scammer.

Before they can be tracked, the scammers close the phoney site down and victims are left without goods and money and no recourse.

Aussie-in-London
20th July 2005, 06:18 PM
i emailed this Hoodey doodey lunch time yesterday and i still have not had a reply
this morning, def a scammer

oneightoo
21st July 2005, 09:15 AM
yep, and sadly i think he is onto me knowing he is a scammer, after the last email i sent i have heard nothing, i usually get a reply pretty much straight away.. dam, and i was hoping to have some fun with this one too..

Adrian
21st July 2005, 10:56 AM
yeah but it sounds too dodgy to be legit..

as my mum always told me..

if it smells funny, dont eat it..

but even thou it smells funny, your still temped to have a little taste as it looks soooo nice hehe mmmmmm

poita
22nd July 2005, 10:52 PM
i recently had a similar thing with a mobile phone on ebay.
wanting to pay like $100 over the buy-it-now, an extra $50 for me to gift wrap.
then pay me by so thing i have never even heard of, paymate (i think)
then on top of that send it to there 'client' in south africa via there fedex account
the 5 different ppl, im guessing the same person all had bad english
every sentence ended in ok
eg. i will send you the money tomorrow ok you will send the phone on my fedex account ok yada yada yada
wat a joke it was!
ended up sellin it to a mate in mackay, stupid scammers!!!

180HOA
22nd July 2005, 10:58 PM
Hmm.

I know someone at uni who had his laptop advertised on ebay, and got offered a ridiculously good price by someone in South Africa... was meant to pay by Paypal.

I never heard what eventuated of it all.... but sounds very similar.

binnybee
23rd July 2005, 12:17 AM
Paypal is legit, use them all the time and have never had a problem. It just saves you the buyer having to get the sellers bank details etc. Works a treat!!!!!
As for the selling of your car its a scam who in their right mind would go to all that hassel for a car that they can get over there for half the price :screwy:

oneightoo
24th July 2005, 10:09 PM
unfortunately my quest to mess with the scammers head has failed.. he has not replied to my emails for some time now.. obviously he was onto me knowing his intentions were a little dodgy at best..

it was fun while it lasted..

until the next scam attempt then..

Aussie-in-London
28th July 2005, 09:38 PM
new development with Hoody Doody
i recieved an emal some 8 days later

Hello,
sorry for the late reply, but i will like to know who really direct you to me more over am a local dealer in surrey i willl like to know what you really want to deal with me await to read from you asap.

Now that email even sounds suss
not a legit business mad deff scam
stay away

oneightoo
29th July 2005, 09:22 AM
now thats timing..
this morning i got an email from him also.. apparently his buyer is will to send me a cheque within a week.. i wonder if he is accidently going to send me a cheque which is more than the selling price and then ask for a refund of the difference.. he'd send me a phony bank cheque and i would bank it, see it in my account straight away.. then send him him an extra say $5k for the difference.. then when the bank cheque has had time to clear te bank works out it a fake cheque and takes the money out of my account, and leaving me $5k in debt to the bank and hoodey $5k richer.. I could even be charged for banking a fake cheque..

Aussie-in-London
29th July 2005, 06:55 PM
very dodgy if you ask me
what business runs of a yahoo account and states his in an area in the UK doesnt actually exist, scam if you ask me
has he given you his phone number again or even his post code as asked for?

CJB
29th July 2005, 07:39 PM
Not to mention the wording in that e-mail they supposedly sent is terrible for a business dealer!!!

Proper professional car yards or anyone in that industry would sign it properly, use punctuation and leave contact details.

Aussie-in-London
29th July 2005, 07:57 PM
totally agree

CJB
29th July 2005, 08:00 PM
Yeah, and if they were really interested they would not have left it go so long. Plus, why wouldn't they have asked for meeting times etc to inspect the car. All these things don't make sense. Also, I am not trying to be one of those people who pretends to know everything, but my friend works for a Mitsubishi dealership and he said very rarely, if ever would caryards actually confront someone selling their car on ebay or via trading post etc to buy it from them.

NUTTTR
30th July 2005, 12:28 AM
The phone number starts 23.......
UK numbers would start 44.......
It's obviously not "right"

sri guy
30th July 2005, 11:46 AM
tell them you're selling the car cos you got retired from the police force for having a short temper and a tendency for gettin revenge. Also let him know that you have kept your firearm without them knowing lmfao i might use that some where if i get screwed over if ya dont mind.

oneightoo
30th July 2005, 04:30 PM
still havent gotten confirmation from hoodey regarding the phone number or post code..

blueraven
6th August 2005, 06:45 PM
definately a scam, i had a similar thing happen to me with a few motorbikes i wanted to buy..

i got the exact same email, from supposedly 3 different people about 3 different motorbikes. all saying the same story, just changing the name of the bike and the country they are in.

call the guy..if he has an english accent...might be ok ;)
but shipping a car to uk is a big deal.. tell him you will drive you car onto his ship when you have the money in your account and cleared. see what he says then

macca
12th August 2005, 11:32 AM
thats the funniest thing i have ever read,

i come from near surrey never seen a number like that before! hahaha

" i wait to read from you asap"

WTF is that i feel sorry for the cahp if he talks as well as he writes he would sell one car every 20 years

The Sentinel
12th August 2005, 05:53 PM
I said "scam" as soon as I read the post that mentions "Western Union".