PDA

View Full Version : Need help picking appropriate Car Insurance!

CJB
18th July 2005, 04:56 PM
Need pretty urgent help. My Insurance is due in September and within the next month or so I will need to start saving for it (a $1200 bill), but, I was talking with a lady from AAMI, my current Insurance company and informing her of the hotdog I had added. She rudely stated that I had reached the max mods allowed… I was stunned, shell shocked as they say. I have only got what the consider to be mods… chrome wheels, and even then only 15 inch. I have a lukey 2 inch tip and now a hotdog somewhere underneath it. Everything is classed as accessories. Not only did she rudely tell me that if I put one more thing on the car they would no longer insure me, she also went to hang up on me. There goes my rampod!!! But I have decided that I don’t like AAMI, and am only with them because Mum has a lifetime rating 1 with them so I start at a rating 5. It’s not worth it really – to be spoken like that. It’s all the time too. It must be the age thing, because she stressed that my age is what fails me. I am also wanting an Insurance Company who does month to month payments. AAMI say they do it, but not for my age group. WTF? Why not? She told me that I would have to go to Just Car Insurance – but I don’t want to and don’t appreciate being told who I should go to since I have a “hotted” up car, yeah right I thought. I was thinking RACQ. I know they are a little dearer than AAMI, but they do the monthly thing and for someone like me that’s easier to manage financially (can’t save a dime).

I was just wondering, what is recommended for my predicament and has anyone else had bad experiences with AAMI, cos they suck bigtime!

Oh yeah, I am reporting her too – she did hang up on me in the end. Told me she really had to go. I wasn’t being rude, swearing or any of that. I was polite as am always. This really is a case of it’s her not me.

Andy!
18th July 2005, 05:05 PM
i have just switched over to rac and found they are very good
not sure if its the same over east as here in da west

they give you no claim from the time since you last made a claim not for how long you have been with them and stuff
also my alarm dropped my price by nearly 200
most mods are cool and dont cost anymore (major ones do) as long as they are legal

i have also heard good things about them from a fellow opel (calibra) owner as they did a good job of sorting out his claim as parts are hard to come by

Do your research but nothing is better than hearing good reports from people id rather pay a little more for someone i know wont stuff me around

Good Luck

btm
18th July 2005, 05:31 PM
i am with NRMA - i have never had a problem with them. always friendly

it works out really cheap for me cause i get a 20% staff discount (i dont work for NRMA, but i work for a company who bought a large chunk of NRMA)

i am also on max NCB of 65% for life

My insurance is due at the end of the month, so i just rec'd the renewal in the post... i am saving over $2,500 just to stay with NRMA... needless to say, i will not be chaning insurers anytime soon :mrgreen:

180HOA
18th July 2005, 05:52 PM
I've always insured with NRMA; when I moved to QLD i was gonna switch over to RACQ, but their excesses for under 25 drivers and performance cars were dodgy, so stuck with NRMA. Have never had any probs with them, although I've never made a claim...

Clint
18th July 2005, 05:57 PM
i get my new car on wednesday so im lookin for insurance. aami would have sent u to just car cause just car is just aami under a different name. my dad just said now to look at aami.. we got a quote for $733 with a $2600 excess or somethin. with them u can increase your excess to decrease the cost, dad said it would be good to go with that. normal insurance, not the excess increased one would cost me $1400. thats no good u cant do monthly payments...

RudeOne
18th July 2005, 06:10 PM
Do not use AMMI - they would have to be the worst company i have ever delt with.
Racq are good for basic mod's but yes there performance excess on turbos is huge.. and they do pay by the month..

you could also try Shannons.

low astra
18th July 2005, 06:29 PM
big hell yeah goes 2 rudi on that note

CateO
18th July 2005, 06:55 PM
From personal experience .. don't go AAMI.
I've had major major MAJOR probs with them. They classified my 14" alloys as a modification and said I could do no more. After talking to around 11 different operators, I got a good one who told me I could do whatever I wanted and they would classify all but one as accessories and 1 as the modification.

I've heard RAC are good for the monthly payment scheme they have but they were over priced for my liking.

CJB
18th July 2005, 07:40 PM
Yeah I agree that RACQ/V whatever lol, are overpriced... but the monthly thing appeals. Saving for Rego and Insurance in one go is a killer. On the other hand, I have had 12 months notice, so there isn't any excuses really.

Well - I breathed a word of this to the old Mother and she freaked. I can't leave AAMI she says cos I got to start on a rating 6 and am about to go to a rating 5! Wow, big deal... I am 19... get a clue... ha ha ha, but she rang them and we both found out the info I was given is incorrect. The wheels aren't a mod, they are an accessory now and the hotdog and lukey fall under one mod. But what about the rampod?

Oh yeah Clint... lol, have you seen my thread about all my accidents? It's not advised by anyone I go with the higher excess... lmao, but for you it will probably work well.

I don't like AAMI, so I will change it, but Mum is still on my Policy, so I am being a tad bit underhanded and remiving her from my Policy (I don't even know why she is on it!!!!) and then when she is off I will go somewhere else. I am a member of the RACQ already and well... I like them. I think I worked out RACQ charge a little bit more than AAMI, but they do pay by the month!!!! 8)

I have some time left, because I will start it when my AAMI one runs out on 23 Sept... but till then I will hunt around. Thanks for the advice though. Appreciate it heaps. Now if someone could tell me how to get pesky parents off ya back...... oh yeah, simple... MOVE OUT OF HOME!

Dee
19th July 2005, 09:14 AM
ring every single insurance company you can think of and ask for a quote, also aske them if they will cover what you have done to your car and also if they have pay by the month, a lot of the companies i rang did have pay by the month, Just Cars were the only ones that didnt.

also with your rating changing, i dont think it will.. it goes of your previous years of insurance with any company and your years of driving experience... as far as i can work out.

do some investigating... make sure you are getting a good deal...

p.s. from my experience i have found that RACV/RACQ is the cheapest by at least $100...

CJB
19th July 2005, 09:29 AM
Thanks heaps… I am going to go to RACQ when I get back next week and get them to give me a quote. I find I am leaning towards them, and I think it’s because I don’t mind them. NRMA – I was told to steer clear of, lol. All Insurance companies are bastards at the best of times, so… I don’t think I will find one that I am 100% happy with.

They should be like banks Insurance Companies – they look for your business!