PDA

View Full Version : Astra X Treme

dazza015
18th March 2004, 09:56 AM
Found this while researching the OPC Corsa

Looks like a bit of fun.......For those who havent seen it see below..

http://images.cardomain.com/member_images/8/web/224000-224999/224830_4_full.jpg

OPEL PERFORMANCE CENTRE

The powerful coupé rolls on specially developed 20-inch tires (265/30 ZR 20 at the front and 305/25 ZR 20 at the rear). Based on the same engineering as the DTM car, the study not only proves its suitability for the road, it also demonstrates the synergies that are possible between motor racing and series production. "With this super sports car concept, Opel is under-lining its engineering expertise and, at the same time, displaying its commitment to motor sports", says OPC racing manager, Volker Strycek.

The "X-Treme" project took shape under the supervision of Opel's subsidiary company OPC (Opel Performance Center GmbH), which is responsible for the company´s European motor sport activities and also for the development of exclusive, high-performance products. Created in a mere seven weeks as the result of close cooperation with engineers and designers at Opel's International Technical Development Center (ITDC), the Astra Coupé OPC X-Treme embodies, in concentrated and sensational form, the dynamics and engineering expertise that are channeled into all new Opel products. As OPC's general manager and head of motor sport, Volker Strycek says: "The 'X-Treme' demonstrates how Opel can play in the top league!"

The overall concept of this high-tech sports car is very similar to the DTM racing version: the safety bodyshell has gull-wing doors and a spaceframe and uses various high-strength carbon-fibre components. The 4.0-liter V8 engine with four valves per cylinder drives the rear wheels through a six-speed, transaxle gearbox located at the rear and there is double-wishbone suspension at the front and rear with a brake system using carbon-fibre discs at all wheels.

About half of the competition car's components have been modified or redesigned for use on the road car. The body is more harmonious in appearance, with more rounded nose and tail sections, smoother transitions, 20-inch center-lock wheels of new OPC design and a specially-created bright red paint finish. Alcantara fabric, brushed aluminium trim and many details crafted to a very high standard are to be found inside the "X-Treme", which manages to combine sports car character with a distinguished 'techno-look'. The seats, which feature five-point seat belt harnesses, have carbon-fibre reinforced shells just like the DTM racer, although they are more comfortably upholstered for non-competition driving.

The engine has also been modified to better suit road driving conditions. The valve timing and electronic management software have been modified, the compression ratio lowered and the flywheel mass increased in order to give the engine the operating characteristics needed for more day-to-day use. Yet with its power output of 326 kW (444 hp) and an unladen weight of only 1150 kilograms, the Astra Coupé OPC X-Treme is among the very fastest sportscars in terms of performance.

Volker Strycek comments: "Both the media and the public have reacted very enthusiastically to the 'X-Treme'. After its debut in Geneva, we received a number of spontaneous orders. As you can imagine, we are very tempted by the idea of producing a small, exclusive batch of these cars, each 'X-Treme' equipped to customers' personal preferences. This would also be an opportunity to explore new sales and customer service concepts. For instance, buyers might be able to log into the internet and see their cars being built, step by step."

PaulTheBall
18th March 2004, 10:44 AM
I reckon it looks f'n ugly!

Looks like a Huyundai riced up to the max!! But that's just my opinion.

I still would those wheels though :) It seems all the OPC cars are using them. The BMW 4wd uses a similar pattern but a bit more "chunkier".

dazza015
18th March 2004, 11:38 AM
Yeah it does look a bit ricey, I was more impressed by the power to weight figures (about 290kw per tonne! compared to a current porsche 911 turbo has 194kw per tonne) and of course those huge wheels & brakes.

PaulTheBall
18th March 2004, 12:57 PM
for sure - nothing wrong with performance.

I could live with the styling just to piss off boy-racers at the traffic light grand prix :lol:

sunny
18th March 2004, 02:10 PM
the vectra c opc one looks much better

Jass
18th March 2004, 03:54 PM
Anyone got a picture of the vectra opc?
is that the diesel one 156kw?

Anonymous
18th March 2004, 04:10 PM
The Vectra DTM Looks Crazy, There is a Pic on here some where of it.
But that Astra Looks horn, I love it.
I think we could all live with a Ferrari eatting Astra. :D

Seus
18th March 2004, 07:03 PM
would not be bad having a 326kW 4.0 litrle V8 in an astra though
:D :lol: :P

just leave benhind the over the top body kit

PaulTheBall
18th March 2004, 07:15 PM
yeah this is the vectra. how low do ya wanna go!

http://img8.photobucket.com/albums/v23/willekens/vectra2.jpg

pulled from http://www.autoweek.nl/forum/read.php?f=5&i=8171&t=8171

blackSRi
19th March 2004, 12:29 AM
I got a reply to my email from OPC about the Xtreme (after I heard a rumour it may go limited production - unfounded of course - I just wanted to shut-up a guy I know - lol):

Dear Mr. Schlipalius,

thank you for your nice e-mail. We are very proud of having fans all over
the world. Opel Astra Xtreme is unique and at this time there is no series
produktion intendet. The price would have been circa 500.000€. If there are
any news about Astra-Xtreme and the other OPC cars you may find them
directly at our homepage. At this time we are in preparation for the new
DTM-season. We hope you'll keep your fingers crossed.

Many greetings to Australia
OPC
However you can buy a full Xtreme body kit for a laugh (Lumma http://www.lumma-tuning.de/ had one, but the V8? sadly not an option...
:wink:

dazza015
19th March 2004, 06:46 AM
Is this what you were looking for Jass?

http://www.autoweek.nl/images/Articles/2005/vectra1.jpg?cache=no

http://www.autoweek.nl/images/Articles/2005/vectra3.jpg?cache=no

http://www.autoweek.nl/images/Articles/2005/vectra2.jpg?cache=no

Featuring innovative twin-turbochargers, the 1.9-liter diesel produces 156 kW (212 hp) and peak torque of more than 400 Nm from as low as 1400 rpm. With this engine the Vectra OPC needs no more than 6.5 seconds to sprint from zero to 100 kph. Top speed is limited electronically to 250 kph, while fuel consumption in the European test cycle is only six litres per 100 kilometres. With this powerful yet economical, high-performance common-rail injection engine, Opel demonstrates again its renowned diesel expertise.

Besides the Vectra OPC concept, Opel is also showing its current motorsport program in Essen – the Nürburgring-24-Hours-winning Astra V8 Coupé; the Opel 2.0-liter-powered winner of the inaugural Formula 3 Euroseries; and a Corsa S 1600 junior world rally car, similar to the example that won this year’s hotly contested British S 1600 rally championship. A big display of production performance cars, including the Speedster Turbo, Zafira OPC and the all-new Astra, completes the exhibits on Opel's stand in Hall 3.

The Vectra concept car, developed by OPC and based on the GTS sport sedan, is powered by a new development of the 1.9 turbo-diesel available early next year in the Vectra and the Signum. While the standard 1.9 CDTI ECOTEC develops 110 kW (150 hp), the twin-turbo version increases this to 156 kW (212 hp) and therefore has a higher specific power output than the V12 6.0-liter gasoline engine in the Ferrari Enzo. The Italian supercar develops 80.8 kW (110 hp) per liter, the Opel Vectra OPC´s twin-turbo engine produces 82 kW (112 hp) per liter.

Two electronically controlled turbochargers, with maximum boost-pressure of 3.0 bar, are key to the improved performance, enabling the 1.9-liter twin-turbo to drive as smoothly as a naturally-aspirated, large-displacement engine. Peak torque of more than 400 Newtonmetres is available all the way up the engine-speed range from 1400 to 3500 rpm. Apart from the considerable power increase, one of the advantages of the twin-turbo principle is the engine's low fuel consumption. Whereas additional power is often coupled with higher fuel consumption, the Opel twin-turbo in the Vectra OPC consumes no more than the standard production engine (6.0 l/100 km in the European test cycle). The exhaust emissions of the Vectra OPC are also below the Euro 4 limits that come into force as of January 1, 2005.

The concept car shown in Essen features the Arden blue typical of OPC products, a lowered body with aerodynamic accessories and 19-inch alloy wheels with 235/30 tires. The interior is largely trimmed in blue leather. In view of the car's high performance potential, the spring and shock absorber settings have been modified and an even higher-performance brake system installed.

Jass
19th March 2004, 06:53 AM
Yeah thats the one, but what i can figure out is why the heck you would have such a good looking car runing as diesel. Put a petrol engine in it god damn it, and get it to reach over the 200kw mark. Car looks good, love the blue trim inside, but wouldn't be happy with the power output of that engine at all

daastra
19th March 2004, 02:49 PM
http://images.cardomain.com/member_images/8/web/224000-224999/224830_4_full.jpg

I WANT ONE!!!! PLUS it's RED!!!!

Don't know whether to smile or cry.

blackSRi
20th March 2004, 03:58 PM
Naah, it's orange.

sijay
21st March 2004, 06:56 PM
i agree i thinks its fully sick. love those doors - although it could get tricky in shopping centre car parks :lol: :lol: :lol: