PDA

View Full Version : How often do you rotate your tyres?

CJB
14th July 2005, 09:00 PM
I was just wondering, how often do you all get your tyres rotated and balanced and get wheel alignments?

I was spose to get mine done again last week but haven't bothered. I got it for free last time, but would have to pay this time, which is fine, I am just wondering if it's worth it? I always check the air in my tyres etc...

Is it really necessary, or just a way for tyre companies to make money? Obviously when I feel it needs a wheel alignment, I will get one... but every 4000kms seems a bit... extreme.

JohnBu
14th July 2005, 11:33 PM
ideally between 10-15,000 kms

i normally do it so the front and back wear out evenly- i.e. change set of 4 in one go

i may boy mine from Bob Jane next time, free rotate/balance for the life of the tyres

Bernard Siong
15th July 2005, 01:52 AM
is ur suspension stock

i was told if you lower your car all these things increase in intervals

Nem
15th July 2005, 08:47 AM
My tyre shop said every 5000km and they do it for free since I bought my alloys off them.

sri guy
15th July 2005, 09:16 AM
i got told the same thing when i got a new set of rims but i reckon 5000 is a little bit extreme.just use your own judgement.

Adrian
15th July 2005, 09:30 AM
i have had mine rotated, but not really a fan of it, especially as mine has 17in rims, the rubber is sooo expensive, if you want some top notch tires your looking at $250 each so thats $1000 in one hit, if they wear unevenly it spreads the cost of replacment out.

just a thought

JasonGilholme
15th July 2005, 09:32 AM
if they wear unevenly it spreads the cost of replacment out.

Yeah but then you end up with dodgey grip on the road don't ya???

CJB
15th July 2005, 09:34 AM
Mine are Yokohama and they only cost me $120 each, so… if I have to replace them in a year or so it won’t be as expensive to do.

I might just wait and use my “judgement” – I just hope it kicks in soon… lol

Thanks!

break
15th July 2005, 10:15 AM
I get a rotation and alignment every 10,000km... which isn't often as my car still only has 37,000 on the clock in the 4 years its been in existance.

Gildo
15th July 2005, 01:06 PM
i rotate mine every 5000 km,
it depends on how you drive, what canber your car has and wat tyres, the more sticky the tyre the more often you have to rotate them

sunny
15th July 2005, 01:32 PM
rotate ~10000km and i just did my ones today hehehehe 8)

dug74
15th July 2005, 02:44 PM
I have done over 45000km so far and my car is only just 1 yr old..i have had my tyres done @10000km intervals and they tyres are all wearing evenly.

I also have 17's with 205/40 ...just use your own judgement..but 10k seems the right mark.

Namus
15th July 2005, 03:05 PM
damn; gotta get my rotated then...

ViNnIeVeCtRa
15th July 2005, 03:56 PM
i left mine untouched for 20,000... oops, rotated them, and im thinkin they might wear out evenly,
if you leave a set on that back for life of the tyres, they wear different than they would on the front, so i change mine around, back tends to just wear the insides... waste of tyre if you just leave it on the back. put them on front and wera the outsides out! ;)

low astra
15th July 2005, 04:18 PM
i didnt rotate mine for 20,000 and it cost me 2 tyres, my car is rather low however and is seems 2 drag the rear wheels a bit, so it chops out the inner side of each rear tyre

CJB
15th July 2005, 04:57 PM
But they say you only get 2 years out of your tyres anyways, don’t they? That’s what I was told, anything after two years would be a bonus. It depends on kilometres doesn’t it?

:D

low astra
15th July 2005, 07:26 PM
dude i do like 60,000km a year

Gildo
15th July 2005, 07:47 PM
yeh my fronts after 7000km had about 25% tred left max, so if they last 2 years ill be smilling :D hehehehe

Charlatan
15th July 2005, 09:34 PM
Man some of you guys drive a lot. :shock:

I sold my old SB (94 model) with 60,000 on the clock. Tyres were never rotated. To pass blue slip, they needed to be replaced as the rubber was deteriorating, the tread was fine! Front tyres were simply worn out.

I've never had a car that is so light on the tyres .

I also expect my mechanic to rotate my tyres at the service intervals, but I guess Holden wouldnt bother with that :roll:

Alfonzo
15th July 2005, 11:45 PM
No, Holden offer to rotate (well my dealership does).

My new Ducaro GAs are coming up about 6,500, I think. I plan to have them rotated at 10k.

(BTW, LOVE them dearly. Great tyre, only cost me $145 a corner. HIGHLY recommended.)

chileno
16th July 2005, 04:59 PM
I got new tyres, from Complete Tyre & Auto in Keysborough (PLUG), and they told me to come back and do them every 5,000km for free. They said it was better than 10,000km, so they could pick up any problems earlier. You only have to tap a gutter and chuck your alignment out.

beep beep sri
16th July 2005, 05:24 PM
ive done 60000km in my sri and ive only rotated them twice and only one wheel alignement and my tyres are still perfect (including a couple of smokeys for the boys) mind you the michalins are bloody expensive so im expecting 100000km befor replasment then ill be looking for 16s as ive been told tyres are cheaper. only reason i wont go 17s is i do a bit of driving on dirtroads :(

CJB
16th July 2005, 07:40 PM
dude i do like 60,000km a year

WOW. Now I wil stop freaking about my 30,000kms!!!

Ohwell - that's what it is there for - to drive!

beep beep sri - you drive on dirt roads? :shock: wow - I freak if I go on the side of the road and there is dirt. Ha. One wheel alignment, well, I figure that's why we have power steering. Lol

beep beep sri
17th July 2005, 11:22 AM
ill have to post a pic of my rocket when its been down the dirt road you will all disown me once you see how dirty it gets id say worse than a rally car

Gildo
17th July 2005, 11:45 AM
rally cars make the dirt fly behind them cause they going to fast :P

beep beep sri
17th July 2005, 12:31 PM
thats something worth remembering next time im on the dirt :twisted:

NUTTTR
17th July 2005, 01:44 PM
i rotate mine when they start to wear unevenly....
I've done 30,000k's now in the car, 20,000 on the current set and they are completely worn out (about 2mm off the wear indicators, so coming up in a month or two)..... thats with rotation, etc.... all 4 tyres are worn out pretty flat, a little more on the edges than the middles, but not much.... Tyres don't last long enough :( I'm hoping to get more than 20,000 out of the next 4 tyres!

beep beep sri
17th July 2005, 05:48 PM
what size rims? id cry if my tyres didnt last more than 50000km. mind you when i had my commonwhore 5l it was a set of tyres a week :twisted: geez i miss them days

CJB
17th July 2005, 06:47 PM
ill have to post a pic of my rocket when its been down the dirt road you will all disown me once you see how dirty it gets id say worse than a rally car

I won't disown... only because I took mine for the very first time ever up this huge long dirt driveway last night four times out at Harrisville. My tyres are filthy. I jacked the car up today and got tyre foam onto all the tyres all the way around. BTW - after all those potholes, I may just need a wheel alignment. Some huge holes...

There was also a HUGE Roo in the middle of the road last night - I did the worst thing and locked my brakes up. I left a bit of rubber, so I may just need new tyres all together :P

A you able to rotate your tyres yourself? Or do you need them to do it to balance them?

low astra
17th July 2005, 07:09 PM
mate i love dirt roads, little sideways action, complaints from whatever girl is in the car that day, and the simple replie, " there are no rules in the bush"

CJB
17th July 2005, 07:13 PM
mate i love dirt roads, little sideways action, complaints from whatever girl is in the car that day, and the simple replie, " there are no rules in the bush"

lmao - whatever girl is in the car that day... he he he...

There are no rules... but last time I locked up like that it cost me my first SB Barina back in 2003! I really like my car the way it is - it doesn't need Roo on it.

Besides... locking the wheels up didn't actually stop me!!!

Ohwell, all good fun. Dirt roads are the worst, you get dirt in your brakes and then your brakes squeak when you put them on. But it's fun when your tyres do burn outs on it...

NUTTTR
17th July 2005, 09:51 PM
what size rims? id cry if my tyres didnt last more than 50000km. mind you when i had my commonwhore 5l it was a set of tyres a week :twisted: geez i miss them days

215/45/17's i think they are... can't remember... lol...
But they wear out fast :(

JohnBu
18th July 2005, 09:48 AM
I've done 30,000k's now in the car, 20,000 on the current set and they are completely worn out (about 2mm off the wear indicators, so coming up in a month or two)..... thats with rotation, etc.... all 4 tyres are worn out pretty flat, a little more on the edges than the middles, but not much.... Tyres don't last long enough :( I'm hoping to get more than 20,000 out of the next 4 tyres!

you may want to vary your driving style! hahha..

i got a set of cheap federals on the fronts that the previous owner put on in order to pass the road worthy cert..

i wouldn't mind changing them to a better set, but its abit of a waste of money to throw out near new tyres.. and after 7000km, they are like brand new.. i suppose if they dont grip the road that well, they arent going to wear out are they? hhaha

what tyres you got/thinking of getting NUTTTR?

NUTTTR
18th July 2005, 04:08 PM

you may want to vary your driving style! hahha..

i got a set of cheap federals on the fronts that the previous owner put on in order to pass the road worthy cert..

i wouldn't mind changing them to a better set, but its abit of a waste of money to throw out near new tyres.. and after 7000km, they are like brand new.. i suppose if they dont grip the road that well, they arent going to wear out are they? hhaha

what tyres you got/thinking of getting NUTTTR?

Vary the driving style? Nah... more fun this way :D It's only a 2.2L too so it chews the tyres :D

I was thinking of some jap tyres they had at Jax tyres one time, i saw them, they were 130/140 a tyre or something they said they were a "new" tyre design/brand or something but he reckons they are very good and much better than the dunlop sp8000's...... i reckon anything's better, but hey :)

JohnBu
18th July 2005, 04:26 PM
u got the original SP8000s?

i think they are a good tyre overall..

i wouldnt buy them for the price..

im thinking maybe Goodyear eagle GSD3s for my next set

NUTTTR
18th July 2005, 04:48 PM
yup sp8000's...... "ok" tyre, definately not for the price....