PDA

View Full Version : Split off "Powerchip Q?" = Now Suspension

auzvectra
4th July 2005, 05:24 PM
no such thing as enough power :twisted: .

Namus
4th July 2005, 05:35 PM
yeah there is....all it depends is whether u get traction lol :lol:

SRI Turbo
5th July 2005, 11:30 PM
yep you need Traction, I found the best thing for traction is a set of bilsteins and some german springs, made my pretty modified Astra just about rid of wheelspin from being a wheelspinning nightmare before hand

auzvectra
6th July 2005, 06:10 PM
so very, very true!!!
ne1 know what the widest size ture is, that u can fit under the gaurds of the sri-t?
am lookn at a couple of 235's, but would like to go a touch wider 245's, 255's i wish :twisted: .

SRI Turbo
9th July 2005, 02:45 PM
dont go wider, youll ruin your handling, just do the shocks and springs, and get some nice tyres. once thats done, youll see such a huge increase in traction and cornering, youll be elated

auzvectra
9th July 2005, 07:22 PM
wouldnt changn the shocks n springs affect the esp+?
was why i didnt wanna go there.

Adrian
10th July 2005, 01:45 PM
plus you dont wana go too much lower in the srit, the front bar is pretty low already.

SRI Turbo
10th July 2005, 10:17 PM
ah no buddy shock and springs dont effect esp, and I can saw it will make the car handle so damn well, pretty nothing will touch you with bilsteins and say eibach or h&r springs. In retrospect I would have done it first up if I had to do things again before doing any engine mods and you only need to lower like an inch an a half anyhow. I strongly recommend it , pity that it is a costly procedure if your going to use bilstein and eibach/H&R.

SRI Turbo
10th July 2005, 10:21 PM
One other thing , If you do lower it, dont just do the springs, do the shocks and springs, because while by just doing the springs you get better handling then stock springs, it just doesnt soak up uneven roads or handle anywhere near aswell as a pair of bilsteins will, And youll be shocked as to how good the traction will be.

Namus
11th July 2005, 04:01 PM
i have a CD Astra with no bodykit; lowered 40mm front and some (around 20-30%) of places i have trouble going over:

have to go real slow or diagonal....most regualar sized bumps i can handle straight on at 'normal' speed....turbo b/kit with lowering would be risky....be careful

auzvectra
11th July 2005, 06:01 PM
i scpraped the front of mine, at the drive ins last time, not too sure if i wanna go lowering it too much.
am happy wit standard hieght, but i do need that traction.
is it much more for adjustable height?

Namus
11th July 2005, 06:36 PM
pends on wat brands....about $1500-$2500 for coilovers in my experience

low astra
11th July 2005, 07:01 PM
my sxi is dumped 4" dont have 2 many issues with scraping might lift a rear wheel off the ground or smash the speed bumps just after the front wheels go over but no biggie, but boy does it go round corners :shock:

auzvectra
11th July 2005, 07:55 PM
was that for a set (i.e. axle) namus, or for all 4 corners.
if all corners, it aint too bad, just gotta save.

p.s. sorry bout the off topic jakesrit.

by the way, how does wider tyres stuff the handling?
apart from a bitta roll in the tyres?

CAL.16V
11th July 2005, 10:21 PM
wouldnt go wider than 225/235 on an astra and $1500-$2500 is for all 4 corners...would be just a tad expensive if it was $6000-$10,000 for coil overs :P

Namus
12th July 2005, 12:26 PM
yeah that's for all corners auzvectra mate....

yeah the price isn't too bad; i wasn't complaining as such; i just couldn't justify spending that much myself as my needs don't require that sort of outlay....

if i was earning $5 p/hour more, i probably woulda went with coilovers...

sparks
12th July 2005, 12:36 PM
not bad started with a power chip question, regarding power mods for astra turbos and the thread has turned to suspension + spring mods.

your all up there keep up the good work :bang:

zoidberg
12th July 2005, 04:30 PM
You can change the suspension if you have ESP without any drama's what so ever....however, there is an exception, and thats if you make the car way to firm.

If the car is to firm the sensors have trouble detecting a problem with the cars stability and thinks the car is travelling flat and everything is fine.

auzvectra
12th July 2005, 04:57 PM
this too firm, is more in the sense of the rear swaybar, yeah?
was considerin a rear sway, till i got told (i think by namus) that due to the lack of yaw (i think) it does affect esp.
is it worth fixing the suspension, not to need esp, or is it good at a medium.
i would like to get onto the track a lot more, so adjustable would be very nice.
wouldnt mind the car bein 1/2 inch off the ground on the track (exageration), whatever suits the better handling.

zoidberg
13th July 2005, 11:42 AM
if the suspesnion is to firm and you then put a sway bar in, you will effect functionality of the ESP.

If you put some decent suspension in that is compliant, u can then put a sway bar in but you would want to keep it on a softer setting.

At the end of the day. Companies like H&R and Eibach don't make rear sway bars. TCCA told me that this is for a reason

Namus
13th July 2005, 12:02 PM
if i was in a turbo; prob drop all round by 15mm and a r/sway bar in....

Turblue has a r/swaybar in and no height mods; he swears by it and raves on all the time....try the r/swaybar by itself first and see how u go...