PDA

View Full Version : BRAKES... HELP... CORSA...

woody
11th July 2005, 03:09 PM
Hi Guys...

So being the loving husband that i am, i am changing the brake pads on my wifes 2002 Barina/Corsa while she is away in melbourne for the day..

Got the back of the car up handbrake off in neutral chocked up so she's not going anywhere.. undid the top twobolts to free up the caliper and then pulled the assemly off the rotor and took out the old pads.. no probs all going well.

Well it was.. i have just spent the past hour trying to force teh large caliper back into it's housing.. won't budge.. played with it a bit and it is more than happy to come out more (alot more actually.. full extent) and still i cannot get it to slide back in so i can fit the pads and move on... what am i missing - is my caliper knackered?

Help..please..

low astra
11th July 2005, 04:42 PM
try using the blead nipples 2 let out the pressure in the lines and maybe they twist in like the astras????

beep beep sri
11th July 2005, 04:48 PM
id be saying they twist in the same as the astra's and calibra and probably every other opel. im due to do this to mine very soon too. sory to say this but im glad im not the first person on here attempting to do this and having trouble. i noticed a thread about a calibra the other day i think he was having the same problem im just interested in how you screw the caliper back in?

Mr Cali
11th July 2005, 04:52 PM
yep undo the bleed valve and use a needle nose plier if you dont have the 4 prong tool, twist closckwise and push in at the same time. Word of warning though this can be a very frustrating job. BTW watch out you dont pull piston out too far it can pop out.

OzzySRi
11th July 2005, 07:06 PM
yup. rear caliper pistons r threaded. need to scew in.

woody
12th July 2005, 09:01 AM
right.. thanks guys - figured out they needed to be screwed in .. just after i popped the piston out completely..

didn't manage to get any further with it at that point so i've put the old ones back in and i'll try again on saturday.

Thanks for the advice

OzzySRi
12th July 2005, 07:16 PM
try to buy the tool for it. its like a socket with lugs on it. or if ur a lil tight n dont mind putting in a bit of effort u can use a combo spanner n a screwdriver. find one with an open enda that will bridge across the two notches in the piston. stick the screwdriver thu the ring end n twist away. taada 8) .

dannysport18
13th July 2005, 08:30 AM
i had the same prob i got the tool now and its so easy with the tool :) i always undo the nipple when pushing the piston back in it saves killing

woody
25th July 2005, 11:06 AM
Thanks for the details guys did the rears this weekend and manufactured a tool out of an old skateboard spanner and a pair of mole grips, seems one of the calipers was a tad seized so got myself a nice blister screwing that one back in - the other one took about 2 mins to change.. after that i moved to teh front wheels and blow me if thay ain't different again.. so c'mon someone tell me what sort of tool i need (or i am for doing this myself) for the fron caliper.... it's one big caliper with a huge dome in the middle.. nothing to grip onto and no visible sign of how to do it... HELP (AGAIN!!)

M-Technic
25th July 2005, 11:59 AM
G clamp or go to repco/super cheap auto buy a brake piston pusher (dont know the actual name?) Basically a metal plate with a big screw in the middle. Might even be able to puch is it with ya hand (did that in an old laser).
Hope that helps. Good luck

woody
25th July 2005, 12:07 PM
doesn't budge with just a clamp have already tried an irwin quick grip clamp on it.. nada zip zilch! think it needs to be screwed in but just not sure how!

OzzySRi
25th July 2005, 06:34 PM
front calipers are push in. just whack a big G clamp on it

Mr Cali
25th July 2005, 06:41 PM
Have your unbolted the middle section of the caliper yet? If its the same as the Astra's setup, there 2 allen key bolts on the inner side of the caliper, once unbolted you can slide the middle section off.

woody
25th July 2005, 07:42 PM
ok guys i'll have another bash with a bigger g clamp... let you know how i go (and how many more blisters i get!)

(Cali no allens that i remember but i'll check b4 i start)

Mr Cali
26th July 2005, 02:58 PM
you sure, have a look at the top 2 bolts that run right through the caliper on the inner side, you have to remove the rubber grommet on it to see it