PDA

View Full Version : Carbon Fibre Bonnets

Nem
7th July 2005, 08:57 AM
Who likes carbon fibre bonnets? Besides any possible structural or legal implications does anyone actually like them or is it too rice?
Personally I'm inclined to like them especially on the silver astra but I think I'd want to do a lot more performance mods before going all "Fast n Furious" with a mod like that. :?

http://www.corsasport.co.uk/carimages/2744/dsc01668.jpg

I think this is a fine example of it looking good.

180HOA
7th July 2005, 09:10 AM
Does a carbon-fibre bonnet have any functional advantage over steel?

oneightoo
7th July 2005, 09:14 AM
only that it acts as part of the crumple zone if you have a head on.. the steel acts as support whereas carbon fibre bonnets will either just snap or bounce and not absorb any of the impact..

if fitted to a red car, it does make the car slightly faster and give it more power, tho this could be attributed to the fact the the car has the 'red paint' mod..

hope this helps..

16vopl
7th July 2005, 09:48 AM
it is a whole lot lighter.
i dunno how heavy the astra bonnet is but mine weighs alot. so a carbon fibre bonnet wouldnt be to bad an investment to lighten up the car.
my car also has the 'red paint' mod, so it will go that little bit faster.

btm
7th July 2005, 10:07 AM
that astra at the top looks hot!

poita
7th July 2005, 11:06 AM
carbon fibre can be painted to any colour.
so if you didnt want to be all fast n furious just get it colour coded.
though this kinda defeats the purpose if the reason u buy it is to 'show off' :roll:

Anonymous
7th July 2005, 12:44 PM
well i have thought about this but i decided against, it for 2 reasons,

1. its not enough of a mod to spend $300+ on
2. becuase the bonnet is part of the grille it just doesnt sit right, it comes to far down (as seen in my picture) so IMO it doesnt look all that crash hot,

http://img264.imageshack.us/img264/286/bonnet5cb.th.jpg (http://img264.imageshack.us/my.php?image=bonnet5cb.jpg)

i think leave the CF bonnets to the other cars hehe.

Namus
7th July 2005, 01:04 PM
i keep getting conflicting stories on whether they are legal or not...

oneightoo
7th July 2005, 02:04 PM
well from what i've been told by my mate who is a copper, they are illegal as they disrupt the crumple zone of your car..

InsaneAsylum
7th July 2005, 02:08 PM
they are illegal, and i'm not a cop

Bernard Siong
7th July 2005, 03:07 PM
looks good on the top car
really good
but wheres the door handles?

16vopl
7th July 2005, 03:22 PM
i reckon it looks miles better coming down in that photo OPEL. except your grill would have to go as it looks almost mercedes.

btm
7th July 2005, 04:48 PM
very merc-ish indeed

good point 16vopl - where the f@#k are the door handles on the top car....??

Anonymous
7th July 2005, 05:17 PM
shaved + door poppers = no door handles :P al though it looks like there is some photoshop work there, wouldnt mind seeing another angle.

i think you might be right there about the grille, its contrasting too much

oneightoo
7th July 2005, 05:54 PM
just spray the grille bit silver??

R3N
7th July 2005, 07:06 PM
i'd hit it

Nem
7th July 2005, 08:43 PM
looks good on the top car
really good
but wheres the door handles?
He's removed them. You either open the car remotely or by buttons located on the bottom of the mirrors.

shaved + door poppers = no door handles :P al though it looks like there is some photoshop work there, wouldnt mind seeing another angle.
i think you might be right there about the grille, its contrasting too much
[web:f554ec5da3]http://www.m1gst.com/vb/showpost.php?p=404177&postcount=1[/web:f554ec5da3]
I believe its actually for sale (http://www.m1gst.com/vb/showthread.php?t=39651) now.

EGG80X
7th July 2005, 09:21 PM
CF bonnet are very illegal, especially on a white car :roll:
they also void insurance policy too (unless u r wif shannons)

if u have a heavy bonnet, it makes a hell of a difference. My mate got a cf is200 bonnet, OEM bonnet weigh about 20 kg and the cf bonnet weigh 7kg, it actually lifted up the front of the car

i spent alot of money for mine, a well known jap brand "VARIS" and it weigh only 3kg :screwy:....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v102/EGG80X/mods/egg003.jpg

seriously i brought it for the bling factor.... :oops:

stevedee3
8th July 2005, 12:10 AM
One of the first things I did when I looked at my ZC Vectra is that I lifted the bonnet. I didn't realise how light aluminium bonnets are and almost threw it up! :)

btm
8th July 2005, 08:25 AM
that's not a 'lion' badge on the back of it is it... :?:

break
8th July 2005, 09:34 AM
only that it acts as part of the crumple zone if you have a head on.. the steel acts as support whereas carbon fibre bonnets will either just snap or bounce and not absorb any of the impact..Your somewhat right.

Carbon fibre shatters like glass upon impact.... and as said above, this reduces the cars natural crumple zone and would cause far more debris during an accident. Hence, they are illegal.

I don't mind them, but 99% of them are fitted to the wrong cars for the wrong reasons.

zoidberg
8th July 2005, 11:57 AM
I like the look of that car, although not a fan of the new rear bar thats going on.

Love the Wheels.

I've been told of an instance where an extra strong CF bonnet was fitted, the car was in a big accident and the bonnet broke free and went backwards and actually cut through one of the A pillars......nasty

EGG80X
8th July 2005, 08:51 PM
I've been told of an instance where an extra strong CF bonnet was fitted, the car was in a big accident and the bonnet broke free and went backwards and actually cut through one of the A pillars......nasty

yup, and i heard someone with a cf boot lid and did the same thing

NUTTTR
8th July 2005, 11:22 PM

yup, and i heard someone with a cf boot lid and did the same thing

That's true.....
They have excellent excellent strength "along the grain"..... but bend it hard one way and that's it

Aaron

16vopl
9th July 2005, 12:26 AM
that's not a 'lion' badge on the back of it is it...

nope its the vauxhall symbol

corsaboy
18th July 2005, 05:57 PM
blah blah blah!...I want one too!!! So who's organising the group then??? ... :screwy: ...Also because of bling factor :oops:

SXXXI
18th July 2005, 08:45 PM
My bopyfriend got a yellow sticker for his carbon fibre bonnet on his skyline and the guys at the pits said they are legal on pre 1995 model cars as there was a car released before 95 with a CF bonnet standard.