PDA

View Full Version : ECU Test - Would this stuff it?

Damo
6th July 2005, 03:01 PM
my corsa b's "Check engine" light comes on for a few minutes of the car ideling.. would it hurt the ECU (or any other part of the car) if I put the paper clip in place then start the car and let it idle for a few til the light comes on?

Or how can I check the error code? because as soon as I turn the car off wont it loose any logged errors?

Mr T
6th July 2005, 04:24 PM
If you get the error code, what are you going to do with it, do you know what the codes mean...

Best off just going to the dealer and asking to report on the problem and ask for a quote...that way he wont charge you for hooking up the Tech2... :wink:

Damo
6th July 2005, 04:29 PM
yeah I know what the error codes mean.. I've done it once before. just not sure how to get it in this instance..

Namus
6th July 2005, 04:54 PM
when in doubt champ....be careful

Clint
8th July 2005, 10:45 PM
i think if the light is on for 20 secs or more the fault is stored in the memory, so u just need to do the paper clip with the engine off as the fault should be stored... but as people say, be careful as stuffin with the ecu could lead to thousands of dollars of repairs...

does your ecu use 3 or 4 digit error codes? i looked on tnet net but can only find 3 digit error codes but my vectra uses 4 digit error codes. ive tried and understand the paper clip test, my ecu still has 2 faults stored, but i dont know how to find what they mean..

Damo
9th July 2005, 08:14 AM
Mine actually only uses 2 digit error codes. I've got the barina repair manual and they are all listed in that. :)

I wouldnt have thought that the error codes would have been stored, but from what your saying I assume they are stored until you reset the ecu?

Clint
10th July 2005, 11:05 PM
i would assume the error codes go away when the ecu is reset, or they can be cleareed using the tech2 but who has one of those?? mine might be 3 digit then.. it is one more digit than the rest, have no idea why, i would have thought they would be the same system across the astras/vectras/barinas. i tried to ask holden about the codes but know nothing about it

Damo
11th July 2005, 09:05 AM
I did the paperclip test yesterday.. error code is 35 - so it looks like I'm up for a new idle speed motor :|