PDA

View Full Version : this site is so slow

astralavista
1st July 2005, 10:10 PM
I have to ask why is this site so slow.
I go to http://www.astra-sri.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5
in the UK and get 48ms round trip and it is a hell of a lot quicker that our own Aussi Opel site even though it is 47ms away.

Few questions ;

1. Regardless of network access time the site itself is sooo slow.
2. How come a UK site with more content is faster?

What can be done please?

Astralavista.

YuSuF
1st July 2005, 11:11 PM
Are you on 56k?

astralavista
1st July 2005, 11:31 PM
I am on Optus cable and it ain't my end as I can get to the UK astra site in 48ms and this site in just under that at 47ms round trip.
Also no issues with any other sites invcluding NineMSN which is a busy one.
Seems to be related to the app running on the WWW server as getting network access is no problem.

BassyAstra
2nd July 2005, 01:59 AM
Same happenin with me.
Its bearably slow.

NUTTTR
2nd July 2005, 10:09 AM
Bigpond cable, it's FAST for me.......

lowey22
2nd July 2005, 10:12 AM
ive go optus dsl and it aint too bad. although the telstra cable at work is quick as a mofo :mrgreen:

Turblue
2nd July 2005, 12:41 PM
The Provider we are using has been paid up until next year. We will not be moving in the forseeable future.

Topic closed.

**EDIT**
Also the Host Server is based in USA. Storage and bandwidth costs for an Australian server are about 6 times as much in $$ compared to the USA. This is a free site, so costs have to be kept to a minimum.

Also lately some telstra links(wholesale) to the US have been affected, this is an Austrlia wide problem.

Even though some of our members work for webspace providers here in Oz and offered us a discount, they cannot compete with the deals available in the USA.

Dregger