PDA

View Full Version : Replacement key

RapidSRi
27th June 2005, 07:47 PM
I come accross an ebay item that is selling spare key for Barina and Astra for $4.95.
Some time ago I tried to buy a spare key for my barina and found I was up for around $200 because of the immobiliser.

Is there any way to get around this :?: and is this ad just for older models without immobiliser!?

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=32552&item=4557562982&rd=1

gaero
27th June 2005, 08:08 PM
"This is a Holden Opel Key Blank for Barina and Astra and is used on 90's models up to late models pre- immobiliser chip in actual head of key"

pull your key apart you will find its in two pieces ... keyless entry bit and then the actual key but look closer and you'll see a chip connected, you need the chip to start the car, I don't know how this actually works but will soon have to :twisted:

Clint
28th June 2005, 12:48 AM
when u turn the key the ecu sends a signal out, if the chip responds the car is alloowed to start, if the ship does not respond, eg car being hot wired, the engine is immboilised, fuel is cut and the engine management light flashes.

Namus
28th June 2005, 02:35 PM
wern't immobilisers compolsury in ALL cars made from 2001 onwards?

CJB
28th June 2005, 03:50 PM
So does that mean mine (2004 Barina) has an immoboliser too? Cos they people at Holden never mentioned anything about that...

gaero
28th June 2005, 06:36 PM
So does that mean mine (2004 Barina) has an immoboliser too? Cos they people at Holden never mentioned anything about that...

:shock: They probably also didn't mention the car had a horn either, its kinda a given now days. (kyle its a good thing)

does the car send an electrical signal to the chip via the metal key or is it via RF (like keyless entry)??

Chris R
28th June 2005, 07:49 PM
its done via RF. corsa c has a 2 point unit on it controlled by that chip.

stevedee3
28th June 2005, 08:21 PM
Just as an experiment, I tried to start my Vectra with a headless key the other day. Lots of lights come on but that's it. Nothing goes even close to moving under the bonnet.

Chris R
28th June 2005, 08:25 PM
and it wont. same system.

RapidSRi
28th June 2005, 09:01 PM
Thanks guys, it's great security but it isn't exactly a versatile key. For instance my old 92mazda the key would just go on the legrope of my surfboard when at the beach. Now I would have to hide it which defeats the security

Ideally I would like to see a programmable key that has an on/off button for the immobiliser (like dual stage) which would mean you could have a non electronic spare key which could get wet

Chris R
28th June 2005, 09:34 PM
thats easy. copy the key onto a blank. $30 from holden. hide the proper one in the car.

Clint
28th June 2005, 11:18 PM
i tried out of curiosity to see how it works. i got a vectra. i took the little chip out of the key and tried to start it. when u turn on the ignition the engine management light flashes, and if u try to start the first time the engine will start for a second and die but after that it wond start, will just crank over. im guessing the fuel is cut off and it starts cause of the fuel in the line and when thats gone it wont start

stevedee3
29th June 2005, 08:51 AM
My ZC Vectra is even less enthusiastic. It doesn't even turn over. I'm assuming all the engine control stuff doesn't even get switched on without an authenticated key.