PDA

View Full Version : who drives/owns commodores/calais?

NUTTTR
26th June 2005, 01:05 PM
I'm just at the stage right now where i was much happier with more free-flowing cash, lol and would like pay off my car or get something cheaper....(as in total car value)... I could sell my car as it is (remove stereo) and probably sell it for enough to pay off the loan and buy a 10k car... So was looking at a calais... or something similar...... v6s or v8... not sure... running costs are not a concern as i don't drive enough for it to be expensive... I do about 12,000k/y....
Only thing i'm worried about is the fact that the astra drives very well and i know commo's/calais aren't that excellent to drive, lol.
More worried about repair costs and maintence... Are they expensive to maintain? I know they break down a fair bit, but parts are cheapish....
I'd probably do similar mods to the calais that i did to my car... lower, mags, that's about it...
What does everyone think? I just am annoyed not having money spare, lol :)

Aaron

Greg K
26th June 2005, 01:12 PM
if i were you, i would keep the astra!
be a little different!

unless you get an HSV that is!

leave the commodores for the people who have company cars!

oneightoo
26th June 2005, 03:39 PM
why dont you sell your car, buy an older astra, restore it and do a little mod work to it.. that way you dont spend much on the car and the 10k you budget for a commo you can spend on making it a top looking car.. just a thought..

btm
26th June 2005, 04:09 PM
i used to drive an 95 commo.
it was fun when i had it, but now that i have the astra i would never go back. much more solid car and enjoyable to drive. not to mention the savings in fuel...

ecstasy
26th June 2005, 04:37 PM
oh i thought this was a trick question were i should say wankers, yobbos and rednecks :lol: :P
anyways back to topic, there are not bad cars those ones but nothing like ur astra mate. I do drive the company car (commodore) and every time i jump in i got "shit, piece of shit this is" feels like the titanic but without the bling or prestige. Big engine on a bus chasis.

low astra
26th June 2005, 05:25 PM
there ok with a bit of power behind them heheheehe a bit of rwd fun

OPC
26th June 2005, 06:04 PM
go to your bank and take out a loan to take over your other loan that way you still have a bit more money but you still hafta pay more interest and it will be another 5 years before ya pay out the new loan...

NUTTTR
26th June 2005, 06:21 PM
LOL, i'm not borrowing MORE money..... lol
Nah, i don't MIND the astra, i like it a lot, but fuel costs is not a problem, i'm worried about problems after warranty, mine needs a steering rack, pump, and column... parts alone is over 3k..... that worries me.... only done 28,000k's!!! But it's under warranty for another year, so i guess there's that...... eh..... not sure......
I'd love a V8 though ;)
Aaron

Didz
26th June 2005, 07:56 PM
Commodores are god awful. Stick with the astra is all i can say haha.

ultim8DTM5
26th June 2005, 09:24 PM
Buy a Barina. :mrgreen:

auzvectra
26th June 2005, 10:34 PM
gotta agree wit ecstacy on dat 1, my dads commo is a 12 sec VY commo, n i think it is a heap of crap.

kirssn
27th June 2005, 08:37 AM
i drive a vr 5.0l every second day and my astra every other day, i don't have an issue with the commodores except that they are one big pain in the arse to park.

it all depends on what commodore you're looking at really. i know my other half has been talking about getting a vy ss of late but is far from fully decided, not because of issues with them but because between the two of us atm, we have 3 cars and as is, they dont all get driven.....

Anonymous
27th June 2005, 09:06 AM
we own a VZ, my brother owns a monaro, and my dad has owned a vx calais, a vr excuecutive and my best mate drives a VN commodore, i have had the pleasure to drive them all (what little there is to be had) they are nothing speical, and to tell you the truth i think the astra has it one over because of ites ease and monoverbility, unless you were to go a V8 and dont mind the extra $50 of pertrol per week :P but anyway that doesnt matter to you

commodores are great on spare parts and if you buy it new you will have warrenty (but you only have 10k so that is out of the question), they have one over on the astra for the fact that the parts are easier to source and they cost less, really hard decision, me personally i would go the astra SRI :D:D

just my 2cp

01CDsedan
27th June 2005, 03:22 PM
If it was a V6 Commodore, I'd keep the Astra, but as soon as I have the funds, I'll be in a new or recent model V8 Commodore faster than you can blink.

However, for $10k I'd keep the Astra. A $10k V8 Commodore is going to be a VR or VS and they're pretty average cars these days because of their age, unless you found a good low-mileage SS or Calais.

OPCVXR
27th June 2005, 09:26 PM
If it was a V6 Commodore, I'd keep the Astra,

I agree! My wife drives a H Astra and I have a 2000 WH Statesman lowered with rims and other cool bits and in a straight line it hammers with the 5.7lt & 210kw @ wheels but the best way to describe it's handling is it drives like a big cloud!

I think if you are to get a V8 commo get a calais or berlina and not a ss for insurance reasons.

Namus
28th June 2005, 02:33 PM
we used to own a VS and VY V6 Executives; very doughy to say the least....

$10...spend a bit more and get a R32 skyline or something...

Dave
28th June 2005, 09:30 PM
yuck sky line rice :P ill haft to agree, ive found since i had my astra and driven other commadores that they handle like a flying brick compared.

01CDsedan
29th June 2005, 11:01 AM
Yeah - you really need to get into the sports and semi-sports Commodore models (SS & Calais mostly) to get one that handles well.

Namus
29th June 2005, 03:23 PM
skyline vs commy.....

i know which one i'd go...rice or not..

auzvectra
30th June 2005, 05:53 PM
commy, commy, :lol: !!
would actually prefer a commy, depends what model, can be a lot quick easier and cheaper.
just look at my dads, it's only got an exhaust(which did nuttn), and a software upgrade, n it does 12's!
it'll take more than $1k, to get a skyline to do 12's, just the commy doesnt stop, unless u got a post and including VT.
commy's all handle good (by fluke only), as they are so unstable, but somehow seem to grip alright.
my dad's absolutely killed my veccy on handling, n my veccy was lowered, with really good tyres, had a bad wheel alignment job but! :bang:
just gotta remember insurance and rego but, insurance on a commy will be a lot less than a skyline.

Namus
1st July 2005, 09:02 AM
all depends on wat u want as well...quick cruiser or performance car