PDA

View Full Version : Astra SRi or Barina SRi? which to buy

Gasgem
22nd June 2005, 10:09 PM
Hi,

I've been looking everywhere for a direct comparision between the two cars. I understand the power to weight is about the same for both vehicles and the equipment levels are simular. I cannot decide which to buy I've got a budget of about $18k so either car could be purchased.

I'm 30 have sold my fun turbo car and looking for a fun reliable run around to travel about 30 - 50 kms per day, city and suburb driving with weekend trips, of about 200 kms, but still able to enjoyed though twisty roads.

I've been to a couple of dealers but to get a test drive I almost have to buy the car and I hate the pushy sales attitudes that you get so I'm considering buying privately.

Anyway I'm after some feed back from drivers who have driven both.

Which is the better to drive?

Is the only real difference the styling and size?

I've noticed the rear passenger foot space in the Astra appears is smaller than the Barina, or am I just seeing things?

How is tourque steer?

From visiting car yards and reading reviews, I am thinking the Barina appears the better short trip car, easier for parking and very zippy with a great tight gearbox and short ratios, The Astra appears to have the deeper more holding seats the wider gear ratios, earlier and larger tourque motor, it appears the Astra is the middle distance car

sorry for the long post, but I though I might as well get it all out in one go.

Thanks
Gasgem

ultim8DTM5
22nd June 2005, 10:51 PM
Hmm almost like chalk and cheese, but not quite.

I'd say go the Barina and pocket the change. If you comparing between an Astra SRi and an Astra Turbo it would be another verdict.

As for salesmen they only understand money. Say you've just received a $30k insurance cheque from a previous vehicle's claim and they should be a little bit more welcoming.

ope126
22nd June 2005, 11:40 PM
I can't comment on the Astra SRi as I have never driven one, however I used to own a 2002 Holden Barina SRi in Aruba Blue. Very nice car!
Great on fuel, also went VERY hard! (Suprisingly)

Mine had power windows & mirrors etc, however earlier models did not have these available. So check them out to make sure they have these items in the car that you are looking at.

The one I had was the very last of the series 2.

The next model had the 16" five spoke wheels, red brake calipers etc.
If I was in the market for this car again - that would be the one to buy!

In relation to the Astra SRi, it possibly may not be as quick as the Barina SRi and I don't think you would be able to pick one up for a similar price as the Barina. (Except if the Astra had over 60,000kms)

However as far as a nicer environment to be in whilst driving - I would pick the Astra SRi any day! The dash and general abiance in the Barina is alot more plasticy. The Barinas are made in Spain & South Africa. The build quality is not the same as the Astra.

I also think the re-sale would be better on the Astra also.

Glenn

MiksOpel
23rd June 2005, 12:19 AM
Would the lighter car of the Barina affect the drive compared to a heavier Astra?

PaulTheBall
23rd June 2005, 08:50 AM
I have a Barina sri but would probably rather the Astra.

I sometimes have to cart around some computer gear, and the Barina's "boot" has bugger all space. It cannot fit a large computer box (without folding down the rear seats) so I have to get it in and out of the back seat, which is awkward.

Also the engine noise in my Barina seems much louder than Dregger's Astra.

Maybe I'm just an old fart who has changed priorities for what I need in a car :D

oneightoo
23rd June 2005, 09:08 AM
i have owned a 1.8 astra city and currently have a 2.2 astra sri, to be honest, the sri is yards ahead of the city, handles better, quicker, loves corners, has power windows etc, a better looking dash, better looking body.. only thing about it is, is it's a 2 door as opposed to the city's are 4 doors.. once owning the sri, i would never go back to the city if i dodnt have to..

i just happen to be selling my sri, tho i'm asking slightly out of your range and your in melb and i'm in syd.. if you wanted to spend maybe $22-23k and travel to syd, you could check mine out.. plus i'd rather sell it to someone who likes opel cars and would love it the way i do..

Gasgem
23rd June 2005, 09:31 AM
Well people thank you very much you have confirmed my thought's about the 2 cars, It looks like I will be looking for an Astra SRi, as I also have to carry PC's often, as well as a potential family member...

Thanks heaps for the info,

rgds
Gasgem

btm
23rd June 2005, 09:40 AM
you wont be dissapointed :mrgreen:

woody
23rd June 2005, 03:58 PM
Yeah go the Astra, wife has a beep beep (although not the Sri) it's really a totally differnt environmental experience driving the Barina compared to my 2.2 SRI. have driven the Barina SRi previously and would say that straight line performance is comparible (with a slight gain on the barina) but both corner well and with a quick,relativly cheap install of a rear sway bar you should see a reduction in the understeer (so i'm told - first hand experience will be realyed once mine is fitted on the 8th july)

GOZOFF
23rd June 2005, 07:58 PM
Go the Astra SRi Ive driven the Corsa SRi although fun to drive it feels very small indeed compared to the Astra. 8)

woody
24th June 2005, 08:13 PM
Yeh and GOZ(WELL)OFF Should know, he has the best looking SRi (in my opinion anyway) in Sydney.

(top work fella :D )

GOZOFF
24th June 2005, 08:37 PM
Yeh and GOZ(WELL)OFF Should know, he has the best looking SRi (in my opinion anyway) in Sydney.

(top work fella :D )

:oops: Um how much is this going to cost me :wink:

thanks woody 8)

woody
24th June 2005, 08:49 PM
i love him and i want to marry him! (or at least steal his car!!) :D

GOZOFF
25th June 2005, 01:05 PM
i love him and i want to marry him! (or at least steal his car!!) :D

ha..ha.. B!tch :lol: :lol: :lol:

oneightoo
25th June 2005, 01:09 PM