PDA

View Full Version : Insurance and wide rims.

NUTTTR
19th June 2005, 03:47 PM
So i rang NRMA to get a policy with them because of multi policy discount (and their home contents ins is a bargin), but was told the Astra SRi (non turbo) cannot have mags wider than 6.5"....??? That's the STOCK tyre......... i guess i'll have to wait till later and ring back someone else to find out....... i had a policy over a year ago with them and it was fine then, but now i can't have anything wider than 6.5"....... anyone else had that problem?!

Aaron

Editted...... Turblue.

NUTTTR
19th June 2005, 03:51 PM
Oh, i have turbo mags on it...... that's why

GOZOFF
19th June 2005, 05:07 PM
Wierd :roll:

Nem
19th June 2005, 05:17 PM
That sounds like a NRMA policy more than law because you're meant to be able to go a full inch wider than standard. Find another insurer I guess.

NUTTTR
19th June 2005, 05:27 PM
All i can say is "YES YES YES".....
Just rang AAMI....... guy there said no problems with lowering springs, mags are already listed, etc........ renewal is 1k :)
That's with everything i have covered! yay.... Now i'm HAPPY :)

AAMI changed their policy as of Jan this year aparantly to allow under 25's to have ONE performance mod..... that being lowering springs (for me).... :) yay yay yay
I thought nrma would be a go-er, but obviously not, aami now has home contents, comp car and CTP! :) (the guy i spoke to there was awesomely helpful)

Aaron

macca
19th June 2005, 07:11 PM
JUST CAR dunt give a fuuurk im like i took my airbag off and there like no worries and i said thanks ill have that in writing

Gildo
19th June 2005, 07:39 PM
why would you take your airbag off :screwy: wouldnt u more rather want a bit of safety than a nice stearing wheel? lol

macca
19th June 2005, 08:56 PM
nup being i have harness's and i would eaven readch the airbag

NUTTTR
19th June 2005, 09:18 PM
why would you take your airbag off :screwy: wouldnt u more rather want a bit of safety than a nice stearing wheel? lol

Because he rathers a momo imprint on his forehead over a holden one? :)
lol.....
Seriously though, with full harnesses, airbags wouldn't do anything!

low astra
19th June 2005, 10:25 PM
nup being i have harness's and i would eaven readch the airbag

not sure about down south but up here it is illegal 2 use a harnes, evan a adr approved one, with mod plates is a grey area,

my mates car just got defected because the people who did his roadworthy got inspected by qld transport,

the mod plate had been done approx six months earler and the car had been inspected before he changed drive line and needed new rego

auzvectra
19th June 2005, 10:44 PM
does that mean my insurance (just car) wouldnt care if i stuck xenons in?
and did work to the motor, but then again who's gonna know bout ne internal work neway!
gee why does this car go so quick :D !

macca
20th June 2005, 11:34 AM
thanks finally sum one agrees with me the airbag wouldt come out neways bloody piece of crap ive seen the damage they cause at low speeds :shock:

Namus
20th June 2005, 12:35 PM
yeah i think the point trying to be made is that the vast majority of cars with 'sports' steering wheels DON'T have harnesses, and hence,

if ur in a big car crash; front on etc or whereever u get smacked forward, why would u want no airbag?

IOW, i'm not refferring to u macca cause u have harnesses (clarification)

beep beep sri
20th June 2005, 04:11 PM
what about when its time to sell the car? just a thought or will i get the reply im never gonna sell my car :roll:

NUTTTR
20th June 2005, 08:45 PM
what about when its time to sell the car? just a thought or will i get the reply im never gonna sell my car :roll:

With the amount of work he's done, i doubt he'd sell it!!!

low astra
20th June 2005, 09:39 PM

just put the stocky wheel back on and play dumb

1OPL2C
24th June 2005, 11:31 AM
i jst rang nrma.. and i cannot have wheels wider than 6.5 aswell...

so if i buy 17x7.. could i jst say they are 17x6?

Dee
24th June 2005, 11:44 AM
does that mean my insurance (just car) wouldnt care if i stuck xenons in?
and did work to the motor, but then again who's gonna know bout ne internal work neway!
gee why does this car go so quick :D !

just cars dont care what you do to your car as long as its legal and they know about it...

just cars = unlimited mods
all other insurenace companies (if ur under 25) = 0 or 1 mod max!

i have also founf AAMI extremely helpful :) everyone that i have spoken to there are really nice and give me every single piece of information i need to know, even if i didnt think i needed it :D

yes you can... but if you are in an accident and they find out that you liked about something that is on your policy, they wont cover you... at all!

NUTTTR
24th June 2005, 10:10 PM

Nope, if you can't PROVE they are 17x6, i.e. the receipt, install documents and instructions that came with them all say 6".... and they measure after the acco and they measure up as 7"... policy cancelled...

ultim8DTM5
25th June 2005, 09:01 AM
Well the policy isn't cancelled, they can just refuse your claim or void for breach of contract (failure to disclose would give rise to effective breach of contract by yourself)

NUTTTR
25th June 2005, 12:25 PM
Well the policy isn't cancelled, they can just refuse your claim or void for breach of contract (failure to disclose would give rise to effective breach of contract by yourself)

Usually they refund the whole term of the policy though... If you have an accessory/item fitted that they will not cover they refund the policy and wave you goodbye...

Nem
25th June 2005, 05:03 PM
When I upgraded mine I provided the invoice from my purchase and advised that I would consider that they were willing to cover my vehicle given that the dimensions of the wheels/tyres appeared on the invoice. They seemed to have no issues with that other than they bumped up my premium a little. This was expected considering the wheels were worth a fair bit and the total of my mods had now exceeded 25% of the value of the car.