PDA

View Full Version : Information on Engine Types (Astra/Barina)

teq
16th June 2005, 01:28 PM
I'm after information from anyone who has done a conversion or knows enough about the engine range to answer a few of my questions.

I currently have an '04 Barina 1.4l Manual.
Current mods;
F&R Coilovers, Rear swaybar
swapping the stocka 14's for some 16 inch alloys/etc as I need the profile/extra width for traction.
pod filter etc..

So now that I have my go-kart like handling, I'm after more speed.
My current consideration was to just swap the 1.4 for the 1.8 and be done with it, however since I'm going to the trouble I thought I'd do some reasearch and look into the Astra engine range.

I've been researching the 1.8l astra engine and as I expected it is just the standard SRi barina engine.
This got me to thinking that the 2.0l turbo and 2.2l N/A astra engines probably -will- fit in the tiny barina engine bay, however I've not been able to confirm this or find a great deal of information on it.

I've been googling for a few days and I was able to find references to conversions done on europian corsas, this gave me some hope..
http://www.regal-shop.co.uk/ - a useful site.

So my question is;

Of the 2.2l and 2.0l astra engines, will either fit?
(same/similar block to the 1.8/1.4?)

Nem
16th June 2005, 01:36 PM
Yeah you can put a 2ltr turbo in a Corsa (http://www.opel-tuning.nl/main.php?View=page&nid=636&hid=14) (C20LET).

http://www.opel-tuning.nl/main_img/site_images/ex_20050228195509.jpg

This thing does 280km/hr or something stupid like that. Why would you do it? Because you have more money than sense and because you can! :twisted:

teq
16th June 2005, 01:47 PM
very nice, I'll keep everyone posted on how it goes :-)
does anyone know if the 2.2l will fit, just for my own information.
If I can't source a 2.0l turbo engine I'm going to do the 2.2l n/a and just do some N/A tuning

the biggest problem is finding an engine with a build date newer than my car..

rjastra
16th June 2005, 02:39 PM
Ditch the car and just buy an Sri.. SOunds boring but you are just wasting money doing an engine transplant on the basic Barina

RudeOne
16th June 2005, 03:19 PM
I have now had a 2.2 Sri Astra a now 2.0 SriT Astra, and when side by side with a 1.8 Astra i noticed that the 2.2l is much much much different compared with 1.8 and 2.0t, i think transplanting a 2.2l into a barina wouldnt work with out alot of modification - just an opinion, i have no proof or qualification on this.. but thought id mention it...

btm
16th June 2005, 03:45 PM
it sounds like a hell of a lot of work.. for the money you'd spend i'd just buy and SRi

just my opinion though

CJB
16th June 2005, 04:08 PM
I reckon the same thing - too much money for too much trouble. With things like that, it never goes smooothly. Just put what money you would have spent on it and get an SRi like btm and rjastra said... not trying to tell ya what to do, just an opinion.

teq
16th June 2005, 04:17 PM
not interested in buying an SRi, I just have to live with this car for the next 24 months before I can sell it or purchase a new one, however I can modify it.

I'm leaning more towards the 1.8l transplant, I was hoping the 2.2l would fit but I am well aware it could be a totally different block/design etc.
I've not been able to get a quote on a single aus delivered C20LET yet, I've been able to find one in germany on ebay for 1110 Euros ..

the 1.8l option seems the way to go because the engine is easily available from both sri barinas and any standard astra.

All I really want is about 120kw, which I dont think is totaly unrealistic if I start with the 1.8l

Nem
16th June 2005, 04:41 PM
You might have to get one through a wreckers (http://www.partslocator.com.au). I know that Bennet Motor Wreckers (http://www.partslocator.com.au/cgi-bin/partsgroup.pl?id=Bennet+Motor+Wreckers&action=extra) would be your best bet but good luck since they want $3000 :shock: for a F28 6 speed Calibra gearbox they have there. If you were in europe they'd be more likely to be a dime a dozen. But you're not so its not going to be cheap.

CJB
16th June 2005, 04:44 PM
That is $1,747 AUS Dollars roughly... but then you have postage and handling... :P

Mr Cali
16th June 2005, 05:00 PM
I'm pretty sure that the C20LET is a bigger engine the the 2Lt in dimension, so it shouldnt be a problem fitting it.

If you're looking for an engine that is later then your cars build date then the C20LET isnt the engine for you. In any case you will need to a front cut if you're planning an engine conversion, as most engines dont are sold without box, wiring loom or ECU.

teq
16th June 2005, 06:28 PM
Correct, I am chasing a front cut, it is going to come down to the availability of halfcuts.
if I find that my options are open and I have a choice, it then comes down to realistic cost expectations to relative performance increases.

I've got a decent suspension setup and my bottle neck is now the engine.
I'm after a mild performance inrease with a naturally aspirated motor or if I can source a suitable '04 onwards turbo engine.. unlikely

I'm stuck because legally to register the car again with the new motor It needs to be as new as the car, if not newer.
And driving it with no mod plate / just not telling anyone etc is out of the question for insurance reasons (147kw & no insurance .. bad)

If there's no choice in halfcuts, I see no major hurdles doing the 1.8l astra engine conversion and rear SRi disc conversion/front astra disc conversion.
So I've been trying to souce half cuts at wreckers etc, the 1.8's are definately out there with gearbox/front disc-to-disc etc but I'll hold out for at least a little while on the c20let

So lets be realistic and say at a minimum the 1.8l engine & brake upgrade all goes great.
I'm looking at the performance cams available for the corsas from regal-shop.co.uk, they have some interesting stuff.
I would be aiming for the 100-110kw mark, which I dont believe to be unrealistic with a nice aftermark exhaust/cam/extractors etc

auzvectra
16th June 2005, 06:48 PM
if u wana go all out, wit n/a to save on wheel spin, i've heard of the v6 being dropped into the barina 2!
sorry to add another idea, if all u want is 120 kw, the 1.8L is all u need!
with a bitta work that is, but a 2.0l would be better.

1.8L - 90kw
upgraded spoftware would gain about 10% 99kw
add an exhaust and intake mods, n u'll get ur 100-110kw rather eaisily!

just remember all u need is a newer block than urs, the internals dont matter, in that regard that is!

teq
16th June 2005, 07:17 PM
Interesting, I thought I read somewhere about the v6 in the barina but I think I dismissed it as bullshit.. I intend to investigate that.

And yeah I think once I start pushing too much power through stock internals on that barina motor its not going to like me.. I wouldn't imagine it was designed to be tuned as hard as I want to tune it.

And the only real reason I was planning to do the whole 1.8l front cut if I could was it would set me up with a spare engine and gearbox and also the upgraded brakes at the same time.
However just purchasing the block/crank/pistons doesn't sound like a terrible idea before I start to get more power out of it

Nem
16th June 2005, 09:56 PM
No my friend... The phoenix does exist! And if a V6 wasnt mad enough just throw a bottle of NOS in there for good measure!

[web:ce65cefc7a]http://www.corsasport.co.uk/board/garage.php?action=usergarage&owner=BeArDy&carid=1293&page=all[/web:ce65cefc7a]

Mind you I hear he has a hell of a time doing minor services to it. Something about dropping it out to change last two rear spark plugs or something crazy. :roll:

Cheers
Ben

Dave
16th June 2005, 11:29 PM
wow :shock:

rjastra
17th June 2005, 09:36 AM
You could always supercharge the 1.4 you have in the car at the moment.....
When you sell it you just remove the supercharger...

Bernard Siong
17th June 2005, 10:00 AM
how about a sr20?

teq
17th June 2005, 10:44 AM
Nissan SR20's are far too large, too old (latest was '02, S15) and unrealistic for a europian hatch.
I can go from my current 66kw -> around 120kw with the 1.8l transplant, almost a 100% power inrease.
I think I'll be happy with 100% more power & my current suspension .. [web:e7ca9edb51]http://members.optusnet.com.au/bfj/suspension/DSCN5025.JPG[/web:e7ca9edb51]

1.8L, exhaust, extractors, cam upgrade, computer upgrade, plugs/leads/fix current crappy cold air induction setup.
Should be enough to keep me entertained until I plan to sell it

Anonymous
17th June 2005, 10:51 AM
Yeah you can put a 2ltr turbo in a Corsa (http://www.opel-tuning.nl/main.php?View=page&nid=636&hid=14) (C20LET).

http://www.opel-tuning.nl/main_img/site_images/ex_20050228195509.jpg

This thing does 280km/hr or something stupid like that. Why would you do it? Because you have more money than sense and because you can! :twisted:

to slow :lol:

break
17th June 2005, 03:44 PM
Best way to increase the performance on a budget is this:

1x Custom exhaust manifold
1x T25G turbo off early S13
1x Aftermarket ECU
4x 500cc or bigger injectors
1x custom dump pipe
1x '3 exhaust (inc cat)
1x intercooler (S4/S5 Rx7 would sit nicely at the front on a budget)

You'll need to then pay for fitting... and the only major work required will be running custom oil lines from the sump to the turbo. Other than that, you should be able to purchase the above parts and fit them for just under $5k.

zoidberg
17th June 2005, 04:18 PM
i'd agree with that....my only thought would be the compression ratio

teq
17th June 2005, 07:14 PM
haha I thought about it but I pretty quickly dismissed the idea because I wouldn't know what to do with all the heads that I keep blowing..

and yeah the compression is rediculous on the 1.4, it would need to be considerably dropped to run boost.
and I would have used a late model s14 or any model s15 t28 ball bearing turbo instead of the t25

break
18th June 2005, 09:58 AM
haha I thought about it but I pretty quickly dismissed the idea because I wouldn't know what to do with all the heads that I keep blowing..

and yeah the compression is rediculous on the 1.4, it would need to be considerably dropped to run boost.
and I would have used a late model s14 or any model s15 t28 ball bearing turbo instead of the t25Compression ratio won't matter at low boost (6psi or less). If worst comes to worst, get a thick metal head gasget made up to drop the compression ratio (but again, compression isn't the issue... a long stroke is the biggest problem with the Opel engines).

And for the difference in price between a T25 (~$250) and a T28 ($650 MINIMUM) its not worth the extra flow when a T25 is a large turbo for a 1.4L engine.

Anonymous
18th June 2005, 11:37 AM
this thread should be in how to turbo ur corsa/c cos every body to seems to give advice on wot their talkin about but yet no one has done this mod to a corsa/c in australia

OPC
18th June 2005, 04:01 PM
this thread should be in how to turbo ur corsa/c cos every body to seems to give advice on wot their talkin about but yet no one has done this mod to a corsa/c in australia

well not yet anyway mr c :wink:

actually i think your wrong Mr C cos it has been done in australia and so far i like what i see...

teq
19th June 2005, 12:36 PM
Hmm I think I'll stick to the 1.8l + Cam, exhaust, chip, decent intake setup
I'm hoping for 110-120kw, combined with suspension and wheels I think I'll have a fun little car to drive for a while.
ah and of course with nearly double the factory power I intend to upgrade the rear brakes to SRi discs and at least astra front discs.