PDA

View Full Version : Small but worthwhile improvements?

01CDsedan
15th June 2005, 12:42 PM
I'd be interested in hearing some ideas for some small but worthwhile improvements that I could make to my Astra G CD sedan, to make the driving/ownership experience better.

The background is this. It's an 01 model, manual, 107,000km on the clock, owned from new/ I'm planning to replace it in 4-5 years or so with something bigger and much quicker, so I'm not going to worry about trying to make it go faster - I'll just wait until I buy something fast.

What I would like to improve are a few other things to do with how it drives, and how it looks in parts.

A couple of questions to begin with:

1. Has anyone replaced the speakers and kept the factory head unit, and does it give good results?
2. What can I do to give the interior a bit of a lift? Too much hard black plastic about the place for my liking, I think it needs some colour.

And any other suggestions for relatively cheap but good ideas would be welcome :)

RudeOne
15th June 2005, 01:14 PM
I can help you with Q1.

I changed my entire stereo, but in the intrim i had my alpine type r spilts running in the front of the head unit and sounded awesome... worth doing.... seems the stocko head unit has some okay power.

but obviously best option is new head unit and amp.. but not everyone's scene.

rudi

Namus
15th June 2005, 01:27 PM
Q1) - Change h/unit to JVC KD-LHX505....

Q2) - Can get those glow in the dark dials (speedo etc)

other: get it lowered; new shocks;

bigger wheels....

oneightoo
15th June 2005, 01:33 PM
eyelids for your front lights
colour coding
fluffy dice
car seat covers
exhaust tip
redo the trim in plaid
and most importantly get a bad boy sticker on the back..

Namus
15th June 2005, 01:38 PM
err u forgot the "NOS/GREDDY/APEXI etc etc" stickers on the side even tho u don't have any of those things in ur car... lol

oneightoo
15th June 2005, 01:39 PM
oh yeah thats right, i always forgot that one.. i reckon a nice STI sticker would look the goods next to a VTEC sticker..

01CDsedan
15th June 2005, 02:37 PM
Now might be a good time to mention that I won't be ricing anything under any circumstances...

low astra
15th June 2005, 04:17 PM
hahahaha good 2 see just keep it looking clean and mabye lowered with some nice rims, and a nice exhaust tip

01CDsedan
15th June 2005, 05:17 PM

I was hoping to avoid doing the head unit if possible....additional expense for one, and I don't want to lose the top-of-dash display for audio info.

[/quote]Q2) - Can get those glow in the dark dials (speedo etc)
[/quote]

I'd been thinking even maybe a set of SRi white dials, I might look around and see what's available.

Nem
15th June 2005, 06:53 PM
I'd be interested in hearing some ideas for some small but worthwhile improvements that I could make to my Astra G CD sedan, to make the driving/ownership experience better.
Derestrict the airbox and go a K&N panel filter is always a good little mod. A few extra hp and a nicer induction noise. Also keeps under the bonnet looking standard which rates well in the "cop bait" scheme of things.

oneightoo
15th June 2005, 07:07 PM
get a nice set of roof racks..

roof racks look hot..

MiksOpel
15th June 2005, 07:47 PM
Invest in a tow bar and a speed boat, astra's look hot towing speed boats.

01CDsedan
16th June 2005, 11:41 AM
Well, that's certainly an original approach...

JohnBu
17th June 2005, 09:42 AM

I was hoping to avoid doing the head unit if possible....additional expense for one, and I don't want to lose the top-of-dash display for audio info.

[/quote]

I'd been thinking even maybe a set of SRi white dials, I might look around and see what's available.[/quote]

you dont need to change the deck they arent bad at all..

what i would say is to change the speaker all round..

dont go for splits (as you're not running an external amp), but a set a nice efficient 6.5inch coaxials.. alpine/JL Audio (to name a few) make some nice coaxs on a budget.. i.e. $150 a set.

don't worry about the size of the magnet or the power rating, you're only going to give them 5-10wrms anyway... just make sure they are efficient so they get loud easily..

that should make a massive difference in the sound of it.

good luck..

as for mods.. a set of 17s lowered would keep me happy for a few years

Bernard Siong
17th June 2005, 09:53 AM

[/quote]

I'd been thinking even maybe a set of SRi white dials, I might look around and see what's available.[/quote]

yes this headunit is bloody awesome for under $400!
i dont think the sri dials would be good in you car because the speedometer is different

Namus
17th June 2005, 10:04 AM
the only reason i suggested that he change the headunit is because in his original post he said:

"2. Give the interior a bit of a lift"

from wat i gather, changing the headunit will "give the interior a bit of a lift" (visually anyway if that's wat u meant) rather than speakers which u CAN'T see......ur ride

woody
17th June 2005, 12:49 PM
Paint it burberry - be a real chav!!