PDA

View Full Version : Mobiles and driving reminder

MiksOpel
14th June 2005, 11:01 AM
Whilst driving and speaking on handsfree, holding your mobile in one hand, no matter how far away from your ear, is deemed illegal.

A friend of mine was fined so i thought i'd remind everyone that the mobile cannot be in your hand, as the law says you must have 2 hands on the wheel at all times.

astro boy
14th June 2005, 11:27 AM
So having no hands on the wheel at times must be a real no no :oops:

a_manda
14th June 2005, 11:52 AM
for those who like to use loudspeaker, i sit my phone on the console in front of the speedo cos the sound echos so it makes it louder !! :wink:

MiksOpel
14th June 2005, 12:47 PM
Handsfree i meant speakerphone :D

low astra
14th June 2005, 04:23 PM
i thought that you wernt aloud to touch you phone while driving unless it was in a cradle, or attached 2 the car secuerly

woody
14th June 2005, 04:51 PM
Just so you know - being caught talking on a mobile in NSW attracts a 231 dollar fine and 3 points.

be vewy vewy careful... dey're hunting wabbiters.

Namus
14th June 2005, 05:29 PM
meh i don't touch my phone AT ALL....

Dave
14th June 2005, 08:17 PM
2 hands on the wheel at all time...........But what if you drive a manual? or youve got an itchy arse....................

low astra
14th June 2005, 10:20 PM
what a itchy elbow??????? scrath it with your nose

Clint
14th June 2005, 11:09 PM
what ive been told is that u cannot touch the phone at all. so u cant use speakerphone or anything. u must be using a handsfree with voice control...

that seems a bit much imo. many people have handsfree kits that u push a button or whatever to answer a call but aparently it is illegal to use them

woody
17th June 2005, 12:53 PM
leave the stereo at about 48 and you won't hear the phone... problem solved.

nicecar
18th June 2005, 01:22 PM
Seems that they have take thing too far, can't see the problem if you have to press a button on a phone to make a call as long as you don't drive holding it. What about changing the volume or changing radio station/ changing a cd, or is that illegal as well?
Remember the analogue mobiles, my friend had the Motorola 'Brick' phone. It was so big that she did not need to hold it, it would rest between her shouder and head when driving!!

There is one alternative:- Cheap mans hand free :lol:

http://www.teltarif.de/arch/2002/kw23/ebay-angebot.jpg

Least the Eastern states is not as backwards as WA. You have a tolerance for speeding (approx 10KPH) to allow for radar error etc. WA have 1KPH so you could be fined for 61KPH in a 60KPH limit. Crazy revenue raisers :evil:

Clint
18th June 2005, 02:35 PM
my friends dad got done for 103 in a 100 zone in nsw.

yep its legal to look through your glove box, find the cd folder, look thru the cd folder take the cd out out of the player out a new 1 in, etc, all while driving, but just touching a mobile phone is forbidden

Clint
18th June 2005, 02:36 PM
oops double posted somehow... it said u cant post a message this soon or somethin but the message actually went thru

Anonymous
19th June 2005, 08:59 AM
now a days they allow for 10% i think? so you can do up to 6km/h over in a 60 zone, and 8km/h in an 80 zone etc?

back to the mobiles, thats pretty stupid how you cant even touch them, next they will be saying its illegal to touch your stereo, :evil: :evil:

low astra
19th June 2005, 09:33 AM
[quote="|OPEL|"]now a days they allow for 10% i think? so you can do up to 6km/h over in a 60 zone, and 8km/h in an 80 zone etc?

thats the guide they have but it is up 2 the officer 2 make the decision wether or not 2 book you,

my mums fried got done for a similar speed and tried 2 fight it in court that was th answer the judge gave her

btm
21st June 2005, 05:25 PM
[quote=|OPEL|]now a days they allow for 10% i think? so you can do up to 6km/h over in a 60 zone, and 8km/h in an 80 zone etc?

thats the guide they have but it is up 2 the officer 2 make the decision wether or not 2 book you,

my mums fried got done for a similar speed and tried 2 fight it in court that was th answer the judge gave her

you're exactly right there. everyone thinks its 10% but its really up to the copper and how bad a day he is having....

RapidSRi
21st June 2005, 06:15 PM
yep its legal to look through your glove box, find the cd folder, look thru the cd folder take the cd out out of the player out a new 1 in, etc, all while driving, but just touching a mobile phone is forbidden

not to mention juggling a mcburger, fries and coke for good measure