PDA

View Full Version : extended warranty

tofo
13th March 2004, 11:36 PM
Hi ya all, who here has an extended warranty?

I'm curious to know how much it costs and if people think it is worth it (has anyone had cause to use it?)?

mr_astra_retired
14th March 2004, 12:40 AM
With my warranty i get 3 years and as well as that i also get an extra 3 years on the engine and clutch so 6 in total , this didnt cost me any more. Well it probly was factored into the final price but ...

noddy123
14th March 2004, 06:16 AM
Dont forget that a lot of those extended warranties are conditional upon continuing to pay the dealer extortionate servicing rates, for the period of the extended warrantly.

Colonel Sanders
14th March 2004, 06:29 AM
Plus and heres a big plus, the dealer ONLY covers the first $1000 of the repair cost, the rest you will have to pitch in, although you can claim as many times as u please.

i found out the hard way after my first car. gearbox died, got towed to dealer bill ending up costing $2000, but heres the thing, they charged $500 for towing my car.... total trip distance- less then 2kms!!!!!!! :x

im for going my dealer "extended" warranty, i can save more by going 2 a local work shop who spends more time on my car then they did and do an even better job... but thats another story :D

Anonymous
14th March 2004, 06:33 PM
There are different "grades" of warranty, however the ones thrown in by the dealer are usually not worth the paper they are written on.....limit on $$ claim, must service @ selling dealer, some have excesses, limited parts actually covered etc etc

For a comprehensive warranty matching the manufacturers original expect $900-$1500 for a passenger car.

rjastra
15th March 2004, 12:53 PM
Extended warranties are a complete waste of money.

Just one question.... how many of you would honestly keep the car for 6 years to make ti worthwhile? And how many people do you know that have major costly repairs on a vehicle within the first 6 years?

If hyundai can warranty a car for 100,000km+ what risk do you think they see in the car going ga-boom in the period?

These things are just another revenue input to the dealer like paint protection and rust protection (both equally useless)

Jass
15th March 2004, 02:14 PM
hahaha funny u mention a Hyundai. I had an excel and only after 7 years of having it, did it have a problem.

Hardware BoB
15th March 2004, 05:49 PM
Jass: haha what a coincidence! :)

Anonymous
15th March 2004, 09:44 PM
I sell warranties...so im gonna stick up for them a bit. Yes the likelyhood of you using it isnt real high...but not having one is a gamble.There have been a few ppl on this board who have had big $$ gearbox failures. also with all the computerised gear in our cars...not Hyundais so bad example :) ....have u any idea how much an efi computer would cost...my estimation would be $2500+ these days....these are replacement items not repairable!how bout electric windows,abs units and sensors...the list goes on....dont ask poor jeep owners about electrics hehehe....

$900-1500 for 3yrs considering above isnt bad($300-500 per year)...but only for the comprehensive warranties.Many also add extras such as towing costs and emergency accomadation 2.

anyhow....my $900-1500 worth :)

Colonel Sanders
15th March 2004, 11:58 PM
hey ash i thought u sold insurance? wen did u get a new job? :D

how much coverage does ur warranty offer? everything? if so thats pretty good, can u give me more details? might be interested

Anonymous
17th March 2004, 05:54 PM
Warranty is insurance! Well the ones I sell are. I sell Allianz products. Ill check up what the price I can sell it for is and Ill print out the PDS which shows what is covered...basically it covers what the manufacturer warranty covered.
I changed dealerships 3 weeks ago...but the job is still the same!Just a bit more prestigous dealership.

Anonymous
17th March 2004, 05:58 PM
ive got six years have to return to the selling dealer for service and with only one service a year sounds good to me :D

dazza015
17th March 2004, 06:29 PM
Ive got a three year extended warranty over the standard Holden warranty through Zupps in Brisbane, agree with ultrablue, for the price of one dealer service a year im not complaining, Plus I had a mate who had a Vt Commodore with the same Zupps extended warranty. One year into the extended warranty he was still sending it in for warranty jobs and they never rejected any. Besides I will probably sell when the car when it has its 3rd birthday, just hope it helps resale value if anything.

Jass
17th March 2004, 06:44 PM
2500 for a ECU damn thats alot, would rather spend the money on Motech......