PDA

View Full Version : Exhausts

gaero
14th May 2005, 12:21 PM
OK before you have a go at me .... I HAVE searched all the posts on this topic, I HAVE spoken to 5 different sydney exhaust shops.

[marq=left:7ce4b02ceb]<===== Something missing[/marq:7ce4b02ceb]

Now for a 1.8 astra, I know its recommended to have a cat back 2" pipe with a resonator and I want a dual tip muffler (no cannon :evil: ) nothing over the top

Heres the list:
Kings exhaust => $470
Charlestone exhaust => $400
Liverpool exhaust => $400
Castle hill mufflers => $380
Aussie Best => $300 (only back box)

Now this is the strange bit Aussie says I don't need the cat back pipe if all I want is a better sound, is this true????

Do the $$$ seem right???

Which place would you recommend going to???
Liverpool seem to be a bit more professional about things, they told me they had an astra in today having the headers done, anyone here???

Gildo
14th May 2005, 02:05 PM
Best mufflers
http://www.bestmufflers.com.au/
i just got a exhaust from them. Excelent service and a wide range of muflers.
Phone: (02) 95473511

Wattie
14th May 2005, 02:09 PM
you can just change the muffler boxes to change the sound, while leaving the standard pipe. but if you want to go bigger, then you kinda have to change it.
i'd go liverpool, just from what ppl on here have said. also are you asking for stainless or mild steel?? stainless is more $$

NUTTTR
14th May 2005, 05:23 PM
If you only want sound, go the muffler, it will make a HUGE difference in sound, just be careful because you want to make sure that what they are putting on won't "drone" in the cabin..... otherwise you'll hate it.....
If you want performance, then 2" cat back with a muffler will increase noise and change the sound and give a little more get up and go...

If you are keeping the car a short time, get mild steel, anything more than a few years of ownership, get stainless :)
Aaron

Shaun
14th May 2005, 05:44 PM
Sounds like there missed quoting the Piping or extractors. I would sat more then likley Extractors. I know that Liverpool Exh quoted me $1200 on a Pulsar with extractors 2 inch pipe muffler and a new cat as the N16 have there cat in the Manifold for a quick direct burn.

Just on the question of Exhaust are there any bolt on stainless steel exh systems for the SRi Turbo from Germany .

Shaun

Dave
15th May 2005, 03:45 AM
i only paid 210 for 2" cat back, high flow lukey sports glass pack and a 2 1/2" inch stainles tip. Man those prices seem over the top for just a cat back.

mr_astra_retired
15th May 2005, 10:22 AM
Go to liverpool Gareth .

Me and many others on here have been there and they do good work , there mufflers are quality and wont Drone inside the cabin like other cheap mufflers and systems.

$400 is a good price to pay for a good half system .

Namus
15th May 2005, 12:31 PM
you can just change the muffler boxes to change the sound, while leaving the standard pipe. but if you want to go bigger, then you kinda have to change it.
i'd go liverpool, just from what ppl on here have said. also are you asking for stainless or mild steel?? stainless is more $$

yep; just the sound u want then u can go the box (muffler box) and u'll get a different note (pending on tip and box siz of course); i have a twin tip on mine with a new muffle box; nice purr; no drone; good to see u don't want the cannon :P :roll: :roll: :roll:

the dollars u have posted seem about right;

AFAIK the cat-bak and muffler system on a 1.8l (well on most non-turbo 4 cyl's) will give u more mid/top-end but give away a bit more down low...that's wat I've been told...

Namus
15th May 2005, 12:57 PM
any1 know the standard exhaust size (from cat) on the Astra is? I have been 2.25in...

I thought it was 2in...can anyone clarify?

NUTTTR
15th May 2005, 02:30 PM
2.2L is 2" from the cat to centre muffler (and from engine to cat) and then from centre muffler is 1.75" to the tip.... 1.8 i was sure was 1.5" from centre muffler on....

Aaron

Namus
15th May 2005, 07:58 PM
can any1 confirm this? i just want to make sure